20/20 Hindsight - Cam Meredith

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Per Rotoworld:

CAMERON MEREDITHWR, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Saints WR Cameron Meredith (knee) has yet to resume practicing.

Meredith, who barely played last season before his chronic knee issues sent him to injured reserve, took a $2.1 million pay cut in March. "He’s on the sideline, but they say probably next week he can do a little bit more," Saints WRs coach Curtis Johnson said Thursday. "But he looks healthy. He looks good. He looks like he’s coming along well." Meredith's spot on the 53-man roster is far from assured.

SOURCE: New Orleans Times-Picayune
May 23, 2019, 3:28 PM ET

Well....I guess that that knee injury really was that bad....?! This Sucks..........Cam's a great guy........ wishing him the best....

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So did Pace get fleeced then?

Idk, I must be missing the 'hindsight' portion of the OP, it's certainly not 20/20

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many of us have already eaten crow on this and to be clear I vastly overrated the value of a #2 WR (which it looks like he probably will never be again) lining up outside in this offense.

Ultimately though given the information available at the time (pre draft and pre Robinson) I still don't think the original round tender made any sense. Either you wanted him on the team or you didn't, taking a hard line stand over $1MM (the difference between the original round tender that was offered and second round tender that would have ensured he was on the team) just seemed wishy washy.

And it ended up working out great for the Bears.

And all the whining and hand wringing was for nothing.

So whatever, I eat my crow that it was complete meaningless to have a heated discussion and I overvalued Cam.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Remember all of the cunting over him leaving? Good times.
Bears fans have a pretty long list of WRs who were going to be big, but I guess when you look at M. Robinson and M. Booker you've also had success with those under the radar players.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Many of us have already eaten crow on this and to be clear I vastly overrated the value of a #2 WR (which it looks like he probably will never be again) lining up outside in this offense.

Ultimately though given the information available at the time (pre draft and pre Robinson) I still don't think the original round tender made any sense. Either you wanted him on the team or you didn't, taking a hard line stand over $1MM (the difference between the original round tender that was offered and second round tender that would have ensured he was on the team) just seemed wishy washy.

And it ended up working out great for the Bears.

And all the whining and hand wringing was for nothing.

So whatever, I eat my crow that it was complete meaningless to have a heated discussion and I overvalued Cam.

I went after Windy about it back when he was being hyped, and I genuinely want to know.

What was it about Cam Meredith that inspired you to believe he was clearly a WR1/WR2 in the NFL?

I liked his contributions, I liked him, but I saw him as an above average WR who could be our WR3/WR4 and slide up into WR2 in case of injury.

He had one big year where he padded stats because he was just the only WR healthy who was worth throwing to, and even then you never saw him do anything spectacular.

He never demolished any top corners or burned defenses consistently or made circus catches or broke tackles and outran the defense for big TDs or big yards to get 1st downs.

He ran solid routes and generally caught what was thrown his way, which is a great guy to have as depth, but not really what you pine for in a WR1 or WR2 IMO.

I just never understood what people saw in him that I was missing, and I never will, assuming it existed, because the ACL injury has ruined his career it seems.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes I did and I would do it again. 1 million is nothing so you tender him to keep him or you move on. I stand by that assessment.

In hindsight obviously ended up working out for Bears.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I read thru some of the 48 page Meredith thread, and most ppl were concerned with the hole Pace created on the roster. We didn't have Gabriel yet, and Miller wasn't drafted.

People were worried about counting on White & an recently injured Allen Robinson....and Bellamy being #3.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes I did and I would do it again. 1 million is nothing so you tender him to keep him or you move on. I stand by that assessment.

In hindsight obviously ended up working out for Bears.
You came across as the Bears blew it by not keeping the talented CM.

And yes the Bears did move on from him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You came across as the Bears blew it by not keeping the talented CM.

And yes the Bears did move on from him.

I said if you going to tender him at 1.9 then may as well tender him at 2.9 and get draft pick comp. But feel free to quote post from the thread and I will take a look at it.

Stupid move by Pace. If it was going to come down to medical then put the 2.9 million tender on him. Currently one ARob injury away from our WRs being shit again and created a hole for the draft.

Just when you think he has turned a corner he does something dumb like this. Fortunately he nailed a lot of his other decisions this offseason so not a huge deal.

Not sure the issue. Said it was stupid to tender at 1.9 and not 2.9 but said he nailed lot of his other moves so not a huge deal.

Last edited:

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the whole CCS on Meredith situation was hilarious; so much whining over mediocrity.

The ridiculous argument over his tender -- that they somehow "lost" by only putting an offer matching restriction -- was silly to begin with. Pace was never in a position to "lose" by refusing to match a 1 mil contract increase unless Cam had a stellar year; but they had actual knowledge of his health.

This isn't a "perfect hindsight" situation, this is a "reasonable expectations" situation.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meredith was a very good looking young receiver. I am quite certain if he was on New England he would have lit it up pretty good.

He got fucking injured. Badly. The Bears parted ways another team took a shot. Who knows. Nobody is right or wrong.

Sometimes I think this 12-4 thing makes people think we have this go go offense now. That was defense .. The offenses contribution was good at very short passes and very long ass drives, complimenting the defense. So far, we are still the Bears, which I by the way have no problem with.

If healthy, Cam Meredith on our team, would be a major participant.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks