2006 Superbowl on NFLN Replay

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I've heard this torrential downpour/monsoon descriptors for the rain, was it that bad? I haven't wanted to see this game ever again since seeing it live. I think it was more a testament to Grossman just sucked. as he'd demonstrated in the NFC championship game. Thomas Jones was a real force all season.

Benson's phantom injury/fumble also sucked. Ron Turner messed that game up for sure. Jones could've put up 200+ yards on the Colts defense, but they wouldn't even give him the ball anymore. just baffling coaching stupidity.

Chargers should've gone all the way. Marty ball, bro.
Grossman actually had about a 70% completion rate at halftime. I believe TMQ pointed out that the league had figured out Ron Turner, he would run and do short passes until he got near the 50 yard line, then he would drop a deep one. In the weeks leading up to this game Muhsin Muhammad started really getting on grossman whining for the ball, I believe to this day that part of Grossman's problem in that game was forcing it up to MM.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Even from an outsider's perspective, that has got to be one of the shittier Super Bowls in history - not as bad as the routs of the 90's, sure, but still: sloppy, bad offense on both sides due to rainy shitty blurry conditions. A game that is pretty much over way sooner than when the clock says 00:00 and mostly because "bad Rex" showed up from the start and once again proved he had no spinach or formula in a needle to inject himself and turn into "good Rex".

The only NFL fans that could possibly come close to enjoying a re-watching are die hard Colt fans.

Bears were never down by more than 1 score (8 points) until the pick 6 with 11 mins left.

Rex was blah but having been at the game, the play calling was awful....should have been calling quick short passes vs longer down field plays as the rain/wind got much worse as the game went on

Didnt Addai have like 12 catches for indy??...checkdowns/screens

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Bears were never down by more than 1 score (8 points) until the pick 6 with 11 mins left.

Rex was blah but having been at the game, the play calling was awful....should have been calling quick short passes vs longer down field plays as the rain/wind got much worse as the game went on

Didnt Addai have like 12 catches for indy??...checkdowns/screens

None of what you wrote contradicted one thing I stated here and in my other posts.

greg23

Liked Posts:
None of what you wrote contradicted one thing I stated here and in my other posts.

"Game was over way before clock struck 0"

To me that means one team got dump trucked from the get go and was never in it...when in fact bears were driving for possible go ahead score at midfield with 11 mins left when turner dials up another 15/20 yard cross field out that leads to pick 6......that essentially ended any realistic chance the bears had.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:

To me that means one team got dump trucked from the get go and was never in it...when in fact bears were driving for possible go ahead score at midfield with 11 mins left when turner dials up another 15/20 yard cross field out that leads to pick 6......that essentially ended any realistic chance the bears had.

Every play has 1st, 2nd, audible and hot read options. It basically comes down to Rex Trubisky to figure it out and make the play.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Grossman actually had about a 70% completion rate at halftime. I believe TMQ pointed out that the league had figured out Ron Turner, he would run and do short passes until he got near the 50 yard line, then he would drop a deep one. In the weeks leading up to this game Muhsin Muhammad started really getting on grossman whining for the ball, I believe to this day that part of Grossman's problem in that game was forcing it up to MM.

I didn't think he was as bad as the NFC championship game. I think the meaning of "the Bears are who we thought they were" was a little lost on some people when Dennis Green went off on his tirade. meant the lowly Cardinals had that offense figured out, now factor in Tony Dungy. I guess all things considered it wasn't remarkably awful, we saw enough of those games for half the regular season. Grossman was like a shiny new toy that could actually throw a football far, which was about all he could do. I think the vast majority of his interceptions were on short or intermediate passes. Muhammad was obviously good at the time, and Berrian had speed, so those factors worked to Grossman's advantage for a time.

but to the point of Rex Trubisky figuring it out, that was the part he couldn't do. the lesser physical talent Griese demonstrated he could when his headset went out once! the amount of money they forked out for him and Grossman coming off 3 consecutive seasons of major injuries, he should've been utilized when the defense was still good. (this should all be green text)

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Pick 6, in overtime !!
agreed Dungee showed that Grossman had a hard time w/ the blitz and pressure up the middle....they never adjusted, I thought they should have gone heavy screen game like Favre did when he was younger. Interestingly i think trubisky smokes grossman on the med and short stuff, Grossman smokes Trubisky on the deep ball, Grossman threw some beautiful longer passes

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

If I meant the Bears got "dump trucked from the get go and was never in it", I would have said that.

I didn't say that though. And a game that is finished with the bulk of the entire 4th quarter is not a nail-biter by anyone's definition.

Post better soon, please.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
agreed Dungee showed that Grossman had a hard time w/ the blitz and pressure up the middle....they never adjusted, I thought they should have gone heavy screen game like Favre did when he was younger. Interestingly i think trubisky smokes grossman on the med and short stuff, Grossman smokes Trubisky on the deep ball, Grossman threw some beautiful longer passes
I agree though neither one threw/throws a good short lob, though Mitch's is getting better.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
2006 should have been the year for sure.

Offense had some playmakers. Thomas Jones was a beast. Bernard Berrian had a great season as well.

Berrian, Muhsin Muhammad and Desmond Clark combined for 150 catches, 2300 yards and 17 TD's.

thomas jones should have got the ball 25 times that day.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Offense had some playmakers. Thomas Jones was a beast. Bernard Berrian had a great season as well.

Berrian, Muhsin Muhammad and Desmond Clark combined for 150 catches, 2300 yards and 17 TD's.

But u forgot the most important piece on Offense ??

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
All I remeber from that game is Hester's return and ppl booing me at bww when I got up to leave with a minute left in game lol. Everything else is like a bad dream...

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watching this reminded me of being at the 2018 Miami game.
Great defense that overpersued to make big hits and just flat missed tackle after tackle, turning short 2-5 yard plays into big gashes. Not as many HUGE plays given up in '06 SB as MIA, but similar frustration for a D that was solid as fuck and shouldn't give up big chunks via tons of missed tackles.

That said, the ineptness of the Bear's O, this SB should not have been as close as it was. Call Hester TD & Grossman's pick 6 a wash on the scoreboard.

Still, with such a terrible turnover margin against, it was within reach had the O been only up the level of quasi-average & not predictable as hell. That's what I fear for current Bears all over again.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:

Trent Dilfer...In a one and done game, anything can happen.

But yea, I looked at box score and Jones only carried the ball 15 times. He should have had 30++ touches.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Trent Dilfer...In a one and done game, anything can happen.

But yea, I looked at box score and Jones only carried the ball 15 times. He should have had 30++ touches.

But you know the missing piece on offense I'm talking about. Not the wr's or hb's, Te's
Are we thinking about the Bears - Colts SB? >>>>>>post #1

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
back to back bears vs packers rivals on nFL network right now...