2006 Superbowl on NFLN Replay

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Caught this last night for my first rewatch in easily 10 years. I was initially pissed off they skipped several offensive series by the Bears in 1st & 2nd Qtr, but it turns out it was nothing but 3 & outs and turnovers. And more turnovers; 3 INTS, 3 fumbles (2 lost) incl. 2 botched snaps by Grossman.

For the longest time I felt like Bears coulda/woulda won that game with a healthy Mike Brown & Tommie Harris on the field. Maybe so?? They could've lost by FAR more than 12pts, w/ 4 stops in redzone of Peyton Manning - (3/4 FGs). Impressive defensive performance to be that close despite Grossman's egg spotting Indy a pick 6.

Damn that offense was TERRIBLE!!! Both execution and playcalling (still better than 2019 Nagy). Still ran far better than 2019 also.

Until proven otherwise, I fear this current team will repeat this fate (and that of the 84 Bears for you older fans) with a #1 stellar defense and shitty shitty incompetent offense that falters left & right once again. You?

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
2006 should have been the year for sure.

Offense had some playmakers. Thomas Jones was a beast. Bernard Berrian had a great season as well.

Berrian, Muhsin Muhammad and Desmond Clark combined for 150 catches, 2300 yards and 17 TD's.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2006 should have been the year for sure.

Offense had some playmakers. Thomas Jones was a beast. Bernard Berrian had a great season as well.

Berrian, Muhsin Muhammad and Desmond Clark combined for 150 catches, 2300 yards and 17 TD's.

It was very odd to see a TE used to catch passes. Been a while.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Even from an outsider's perspective, that has got to be one of the shittier Super Bowls in history - not as bad as the routs of the 90's, sure, but still: sloppy, bad offense on both sides due to rainy shitty blurry conditions. A game that is pretty much over way sooner than when the clock says 00:00 and mostly because "bad Rex" showed up from the start and once again proved he had no spinach or formula in a needle to inject himself and turn into "good Rex".

The only NFL fans that could possibly come close to enjoying a re-watching are die hard Colt fans.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There were 3 AFC teams better than the Bears that year and it probably wasn't the best one that made the SB. It was not THE year but we had our shot and we blew it in a big way. The O and D was very poorly called in the 2nd 1/2. Too much throwing for those conditions and our normally aggressive D was playing softer than usual, taking our backers and safety away from the line. I think the D was Lovie's call as Rivera had a more aggressive nature. The O was all Turner who should have been told to try to keep it on the ground more.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rex had a more negative effect on the Bears offense than Payton had on the Colts offense ...
Rex should never have been given that much opportunity in those conditions. He sucked but that could have been mitigated. He's Rex with little hands in a downpour and it was like Turner was calling plays for Manning.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
There were 3 AFC teams better than the Bears that year and it probably wasn't the best one that made the SB. It was not THE year but we had our shot and we blew it in a big way. The O and D was very poorly called in the 2nd 1/2. Too much throwing for those conditions and our normally aggressive D was playing softer than usual, taking our backers and safety away from the line. I think the D was Lovie's call as Rivera had a more aggressive nature. The O was all Turner who should have been told to try to keep it on the ground more.

i honestly felt that had tony romo not dropped the snap against Seattle that the cowboys could have beaten the bears. Anyway TMQ on ESPN wrote a great column about that game and how our OC helped lose it by having Grossman hocking bombs with a soggy wet ball in a torrential downpour. Grossman also fumbled 2 snaps and it was noted the Peyton Manning was practicing snaps in the rain prior to gametime while the Bears didn't. I actually remember a Boston sportswriter penning a column slamming the Bears for starting Tank johnson in that game who had been in trouble a couple weeks prior, they had to...and I agree, if they had Tommie Harris and Mike Brown that was a win

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Rex should never have been given that much opportunity in those conditions. He sucked but that could have been mitigated. He's Rex with little hands in a downpour and it was like Turner was calling plays for Manning.

Being down, I am not sure how much mitigation could have been done, BUT Turner is culpable and deserves all the criticism he got and probably far more

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
When Brown and Harris went down it just wasn't the same team. So I agree that could have been the year (had they stayed healthy), but by the time the playoffs came around the Bears were lucky to go as deep as they did.

The Colts rushed for 191 yards at 4.5 yards per clip. Their offensive line dominated our defensive line in the running game, especially right there at noseguard. I remember an analyst saying that their center Jeff Saturday was the real MVP of the game, which was the honest truth. We were getting blown off the ball at the point of attack.

It takes skill and luck to win a superbowl, and their luck ran out at the wrong time.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
We were outcoached...the Colts, even with the might Payton Manning, ran the ball in the second half.

We were the better team at running the ball, but forgot how to do it in the second half.

While that defense was good, without Tommie and Mike, they just continued to drop into cover 2, and continued to get gashed up the middle. But they still did well enough to win us that game, if Sexy had not essentially handed the game over .

Both of the QB's that we have right now would have not turned the ball over so much and likely would have done much better in that game. I would go so far as to say Foles would have won us that SB.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
We were outcoached...the Colts, even with the might Payton Manning, ran the ball in the second half.

We were the better team at running the ball, but forgot how to do it in the second half.

While that defense was good, without Tommie and Mike, they just continued to drop into cover 2, and continued to get gashed up the middle. But they still did well enough to win us that game, if Sexy had not essentially handed the game over .

Both of the QB's that we have right now would have not turned the ball over so much and likely would have done much better in that game. I would go so far as to say Foles would have won us that SB.
I dont know about foles but mitch woulda made it a walk off win

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Yep, Cover 2 is more of a bend don't break don't give up the big play sort of scheme.

While the 2006 Bears had legit playmakers they didn't come close to completely shutting a team down like the 2018 Defense was capable of.

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
I've heard this torrential downpour/monsoon descriptors for the rain, was it that bad? I haven't wanted to see this game ever again since seeing it live. I think it was more a testament to Grossman just sucked. as he'd demonstrated in the NFC championship game. Thomas Jones was a real force all season.

Benson's phantom injury/fumble also sucked. Ron Turner messed that game up for sure. Jones could've put up 200+ yards on the Colts defense, but they wouldn't even give him the ball anymore. just baffling coaching stupidity.

Chargers should've gone all the way. Marty ball, bro.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
It was a monsoon. Look at 1:20

On a side note Bears had a hand in Mannings 1st Superbowl as well as pretty much gifting the wildcard Packers (lost 2 games back to back) and Aaron Rodgers lone Superbowl run as well, lol

Last edited:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Caught this last night for my first rewatch in easily 10 years. I was initially pissed off they skipped several offensive series by the Bears in 1st & 2nd Qtr, but it turns out it was nothing but 3 & outs and turnovers. And more turnovers; 3 INTS, 3 fumbles (2 lost) incl. 2 botched snaps by Grossman.

For the longest time I felt like Bears coulda/woulda won that game with a healthy Mike Brown & Tommie Harris on the field. Maybe so?? They could've lost by FAR more than 12pts, w/ 4 stops in redzone of Peyton Manning - (3/4 FGs). Impressive defensive performance to be that close despite Grossman's egg spotting Indy a pick 6.

Damn that offense was TERRIBLE!!! Both execution and playcalling (still better than 2019 Nagy). Still ran far better than 2019 also.

Until proven otherwise, I fear this current team will repeat this fate (and that of the 84 Bears for you older fans) with a #1 stellar defense and shitty shitty incompetent offense that falters left & right once again. You?
i prefer the playoffs of that year..

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
a little secret here..i broke a ceiling fan when Hester broke that cease up mid field...i jumped so fuckin high man and then proceed to talk shit to colts fans i was with while at my buddy parents house out by west lafayette,Indiana who is a bears fan or else he can get fucked too..lmao. but everybody was cool with it..cause we lost and myself along with two others cried, no lie and immediately got myself shitfaced. the desert miracle was on my mind and i was damn sure that team could fucking do it.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
The Colts rushed for 191 yards at 4.5 yards per clip.

Yep. the 2006 Bears D was predicated on speed and swarming to the ball carrier. Once the storms came you can see the guys getting pushed off the line of scrimmage and whiffing on downfield tackles. The wet field conditions mitigated their speed advantage.

Last edited: