Status
Not open for further replies.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sixes turned down a trade from Pacers for PG Brogdon. Terrible decision by 76ers

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Sixes turned down a trade from Pacers for PG Brogdon. Terrible decision by 76ers

what I wanna know is….does this mean Brogrin is available? He would look good on the bulls

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great career for Marv Albert! He needed to retire but end of an era. Legend

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is one of those NBA Finals where the fans win. 2 franchises without any divas playing.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is one of those NBA Finals where the fans win. 2 franchises without any divas playing.
I means whats Divas? I get the stars complain a lot now. But, Jordan was always in the refs ear. There is such a thing as Jordan rules. I think the problem is the league is so soft now that I couldnt imagine anyone not being a diva simply because the league allows it. In the day, Superstars were not a ton. Now, with no defense there is so many players that just kill it. The range is more wide which is more complaining which is more divas. Thanks you for listening to my ted talk. Im a couple of Jamesons and marijuana cigs in right now lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I means whats Divas? I get the stars complain a lot now. But, Jordan was always in the refs ear. There is such a thing as Jordan rules. I think the problem is the league is so soft now that I couldnt imagine anyone not being a diva simply because the league allows it. In the day, Superstars were not a ton. Now, with no defense there is so many players that just kill it. The range is more wide which is more complaining which is more divas. Thanks you for listening to my ted talk. Im a couple of Jamesons and marijuana cigs in right now lol

Jordan was in their ears no doubt. But, it’s the demonstrative/over the top whining and complaining that goes on that jordan didn’t do. Also, it’s hard to consider someone a diva that had the entire league following the jordan rules of beating the hell out of the guy anytime he enters the paint…in an era where this could be done. Today, you can’t rough people up like that and just get a personal foul. So today’s players when they complain about the minorest of things, just come off as soft as fuck

enjoy the Jamo and cannabis!!

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Go back to jerking off to the greatest college football offense of all time, the 2019 LSU Tigers lol

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm having a hard time watching these playoffs. Lack of star power and so many injuries. It's nice to see these smaller market, uncommon players rise to the occasion, but there's no evil dream team/villains, which unless you are rooting for a team or just gamble like a degenerate it lacks the ability to draw.

I wonder what was the rush to start up this season and could this have been avoided? Seriously last game of the 2020 season was Oct 11th, then the 2021 season started on December 22nd of the same year. Was a 72 game season any better than a 62 or a 50 game season? Give the players and fans a bit of time to decompress from the last run, then when playoffs comes around we aren't watching some of the top stars fall apart.

I do like to see two smaller market teams in the playoffs and know it will be exciting for the Bucs/Suns fans, but it's not like the ball has been that good leading up to now. Atlanta with a hurt Trae Young was pretty bad to watch. Couldn't hit a shot and really didn't defend that well. Watching Hardin not be able to make a difference was hard. Sure many enjoyed LeBron lose, but with their injuries it feels hallow. Same can be said for Leonard. Anyway, you get the point I'm trying to make.

Overall I think this is a shrug type playoffs. Did it happen? Yeah. Was it must see TV, hell no.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm having a hard time watching these playoffs. Lack of star power and so many injuries. It's nice to see these smaller market, uncommon players rise to the occasion, but there's no evil dream team/villains, which unless you are rooting for a team or just gamble like a degenerate it lacks the ability to draw.

I wonder what was the rush to start up this season and could this have been avoided? Seriously last game of the 2020 season was Oct 11th, then the 2021 season started on December 22nd of the same year. Was a 72 game season any better than a 62 or a 50 game season? Give the players and fans a bit of time to decompress from the last run, then when playoffs comes around we aren't watching some of the top stars fall apart.

I do like to see two smaller market teams in the playoffs and know it will be exciting for the Bucs/Suns fans, but it's not like the ball has been that good leading up to now. Atlanta with a hurt Trae Young was pretty bad to watch. Couldn't hit a shot and really didn't defend that well. Watching Hardin not be able to make a difference was hard. Sure many enjoyed LeBron lose, but with their injuries it feels hallow. Same can be said for Leonard. Anyway, you get the point I'm trying to make.

Overall I think this is a shrug type playoffs. Did it happen? Yeah. Was it must see TV, hell no.
As I had a post documented earlier, there isn't much evidence to support that injuries to star players are caused by the condensed schedule, sans for maybe the Lakers injury issues. Miami had COVID issues where players missed a lot of games. Some lesser guys had some minor lingering injuries throughout the season as well, and they got bounced in the 1st, but I mean, their run last year was kind of a fluke IMO anyways.

Everyone else, is generally a freak accident, or injury prone player getting injured. Or in the case of James Harden, his own doing.

You and I differ greatly on superteams, as I prefer a bit more parity. To me the Nets were fine as a team with just Durant and Irving, and they didn't even need Harden. When NBA teams do this, to make it makes the NBA fairly pointless to watch. I tuned out the Durant-LeBron Finals in 17 and 18, and frankly I didn't watch much of the 2016 Finals until Game 7 (mainly because I thought GSW would win). 2019 was a good Finals for me since LeBron was finally out of it, even if GSW was crippled. Were I around with memory in the 80s, I'd probably be tired of Magic and the Lakers too, and the Celtics for that matter.

While I'm not crazy about a Greek-less Bucks (I bet he comes back at some point) vs what is at this point the most healthy team left, the Suns, I'm liking it better than if the three headed monster of Brooklyn were playing. I'll be watching is what I'm saying. I know the more casual fans are not excited about this Finals, so it won't surprise me if ratings are low again.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Chris Paul on condensed off-season:

Paul, without directly addressing James' comments, made it clear that every player can have his voice heard when it comes time for the union to make decisions for its 400-plus members.

"Man, one thing about our league and its players is everything is always a conversation," Paul said during Finals media day on Monday. "There's a ton of guys on the executive committee who are working hard on things right now, as we speak -- day in and day out, traveling. I wish you guys knew all the things that are going on. So, decisions that are made as far as playing or not playing, players are always involved in it.

"Injuries are always unfortunate. You hate to have them. But just like when we went to the bubble, everything was discussed as far as the players and the full body of players. Everything that's good for this guy and that guy might not be the same for that guy, but everything has always been a conversation, and it's going to continue to be that way. So, if people don't like it, then you know everybody has the same opportunity to be a part of all these conversations."

So basically, it looks like the majority of players were in favor of starting the season in December and LBJ either didn't participate in the conversation, or he did, but most didn't agree with him.

If it's the latter, I think him complaining about it is more about him trying to prove a point to the rest of the players.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Chris Paul on condensed off-season:

So basically, it looks like the majority of players were in favor of starting the season in December and LBJ either didn't participate in the conversation, or he did, but most didn't agree with him.

If it's the latter, I think him complaining about it is more about him trying to prove a point to the rest of the players.
Most players aren't making the money the superstars are, so the more games they play, the more money they will make. It makes sense from that standpoint. It also makes sense from a standpoint many of these guys want the opportunity to play vs just sitting at home. LeBron is guaranteed a spot. Additionally, there were 8 teams who hadn't played since March 12th or whatever it was.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Sounds like more excuses from lebron

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
As I had a post documented earlier, there isn't much evidence to support that injuries to star players are caused by the condensed schedule, sans for maybe the Lakers injury issues. Miami had COVID issues where players missed a lot of games. Some lesser guys had some minor lingering injuries throughout the season as well, and they got bounced in the 1st, but I mean, their run last year was kind of a fluke IMO anyways.

Everyone else, is generally a freak accident, or injury prone player getting injured. Or in the case of James Harden, his own doing.

You and I differ greatly on superteams, as I prefer a bit more parity. To me the Nets were fine as a team with just Durant and Irving, and they didn't even need Harden. When NBA teams do this, to make it makes the NBA fairly pointless to watch. I tuned out the Durant-LeBron Finals in 17 and 18, and frankly I didn't watch much of the 2016 Finals until Game 7 (mainly because I thought GSW would win). 2019 was a good Finals for me since LeBron was finally out of it, even if GSW was crippled. Were I around with memory in the 80s, I'd probably be tired of Magic and the Lakers too, and the Celtics for that matter.

While I'm not crazy about a Greek-less Bucks (I bet he comes back at some point) vs what is at this point the most healthy team left, the Suns, I'm liking it better than if the three headed monster of Brooklyn were playing. I'll be watching is what I'm saying. I know the more casual fans are not excited about this Finals, so it won't surprise me if ratings are low again.

I'd prefer parity, but also understand the league. It's not the NFL where there's a massive TV deal and a firm salary cap. It's a league where the players have more power and with that means larger markets have more AND players have more options.

With that being said I like the super teams. Not so much to cheer for them, but to cheer against them. A Bron lead Lakers vs. the Bucks is interesting. I now have a horse in the race and I'd get to know the Bucs a lot better in the process. Same can be said if it was Nets-Suns. It's a more compelling reason to watch.

As for the injuries I know there's not a direct link, but it's crazy how many players got hurt leading up to and in the playoffs. I honestly can't think of any other season and for me it's hard not to think the only outlier is that there's such a small offseason.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Most players aren't making the money the superstars are, so the more games they play, the more money they will make. It makes sense from that standpoint. It also makes sense from a standpoint many of these guys want the opportunity to play vs just sitting at home. LeBron is guaranteed a spot. Additionally, there were 8 teams who hadn't played since March 12th or whatever it was.
Would love to compare injury rates for those teams vs. the 22 that were in the Bubble World.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Would love to compare injury rates for those teams vs. the 22 that were in the Bubble World.
I don't have an analysis for you on that.

Just note that the Knicks and Hawks were two of those 8 teams The Raptors, Pacers, and Magic fell out of playoff spots. Everyone else who made the playoffs this year were in the bubble last year, even if only some of them lasted the 8 games (Wizards, Suns). Trae Young suffered a nagging shoulder injury and then the ankle injury (from stepping on a ref) in the playoffs.

Some teams are vastly different, such as the Nets didn't have Durant at all in 2019-20, and Kyrie was injured most of the season, and Kyrie didn't play in the bubble at all. Both still had injury plagued seasons this year.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'd prefer parity, but also understand the league. It's not the NFL where there's a massive TV deal and a firm salary cap. It's a league where the players have more power and with that means larger markets have more AND players have more options.

With that being said I like the super teams. Not so much to cheer for them, but to cheer against them. A Bron lead Lakers vs. the Bucks is interesting. I now have a horse in the race and I'd get to know the Bucs a lot better in the process. Same can be said if it was Nets-Suns. It's a more compelling reason to watch.

As for the injuries I know there's not a direct link, but it's crazy how many players got hurt leading up to and in the playoffs. I honestly can't think of any other season and for me it's hard not to think the only outlier is that there's such a small offseason.
Yeah, the NBA is never going to be the NFL. It's just a different animal, and not even down to the players having more power. It's 5 vs 5 rather than 11 vs 11, with a 50+ player roster. Successful teams are generally two All-Stars, one being a superstar, and then great role players. The NFL you can have tons of pro bowlers (before salaries kill you), while in the NBA its easier to keep your stars generally. Football careers are also generally shorter and more dangerous, thus players are likely to take whatever large contract they can to secure their future, while NBA players can consider location a lot more.

The LeBron-Wade-Bosh super team was actually fun to root against, and they actually made it interesting often. Originally I thought there would be no stopping Miami, only to be surprised by Dallas taking them down. The Durant-led Warriors super team wasn't very interesting outside of being forced to a Game 7 in the 2018 WCF,which hey, maybe they actually lose had Chris Paul not gotten hurt in Game 5.

Every season there is a significant injury to someone. Even some years teams just have some bad luck. LeBron lost Love, and then Irving to injuries in the 2015 playoffs. The Clippers lost Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in the 1st round in 2016. Spurs lost Parker and Leonard in the playoffs in 2017.

However, this is indeed the first season the magnitude of the injuries are this high spread among the teams, especially as the playoffs approached. All but a few first round teams have suffered a significant injury of some kind, even if their players didn't really miss many games (or in Bookers case, missed none). But I argue the condensed schedule has little to do with most of those injuries. And most of the injuries are to players who have significant injury histories. Look at how they happen, not just the fact that they happened.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Every season there is a significant injury to someone. Even some years teams just have some bad luck. LeBron lost Love, and then Irving to injuries in the 2015 playoffs. The Clippers lost Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in the 1st round in 2016. Spurs lost Parker and Leonard in the playoffs in 2017.

However, this is indeed the first season the magnitude of the injuries are this high spread among the teams, especially as the playoffs approached. All but a few first round teams have suffered a significant injury of some kind, even if their players didn't really miss many games (or in Bookers case, missed none). But I argue the condensed schedule has little to do with most of those injuries. And most of the injuries are to players who have significant injury histories. Look at how they happen, not just the fact that they happened.
I think if you take those often injured players and give them a shortened offseason to rehab/rest it's a formula for reinjury. Those guys under normal circumstances have issues staying healthy. Take away their time to get right and things go the way they would.

From the team's side what option do they have? Imagine if the Lakers did a full on loan management for it's key players. Let's say have them play a total of 40 games in the 72 game season. Looking back on that it might have been the better way to do it, but the NBA would have lost it's mind.

Personally I would have liked to see a 50 game season. They have done that before in 1998-99 due to the lockout (Spurs first championship). Start it later and maybe spread it out a bit more.

With that being said, I know the league has sold the sport to it's partners in an 82 game block, so are they just willing to forgo 32/82 worth of their revenue from those respective agreements? Gotta imagine the 2020 COVID shortened season really messed with some teams financially, so the Comish was under pressure to get the revenue train back on the rails.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think if you take those often injured players and give them a shortened offseason to rehab/rest it's a formula for reinjury. Those guys under normal circumstances have issues staying healthy. Take away their time to get right and things go the way they would.

From the team's side what option do they have? Imagine if the Lakers did a full on loan management for it's key players. Let's say have them play a total of 40 games in the 72 game season. Looking back on that it might have been the better way to do it, but the NBA would have lost it's mind.

Personally I would have liked to see a 50 game season. They have done that before in 1998-99 due to the lockout (Spurs first championship). Start it later and maybe spread it out a bit more.

With that being said, I know the league has sold the sport to it's partners in an 82 game block, so are they just willing to forgo 32/82 worth of their revenue from those respective agreements? Gotta imagine the 2020 COVID shortened season really messed with some teams financially, so the Comish was under pressure to get the revenue train back on the rails.
Revenue definitely was 99% of the decision making in having a 72 game season. I feel the delayed playoffs was to have more of a chance of the league being vaccinated as well. They could have done a 50 game season and started the playoffs at their normal time, such as they did with the 99 lockout, and the 2012 66 game season the playoffs started at their regular time as well.

Even with that said. Often injured players are often load managing 82 game seasons as well. Kawhi takes games off just because all the time. He got hurt making a every day move, which sometimes just happens to players.

Kyrie got hurt in an ankle collision in which something that can happen to anyone. Same thing with Greek.

The Lakers are really the only team I'm willing to put under the shortened offseason and longer condensed season hurting them. AD is often injured though regardless, so it's not a surprise he was this season as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.