2020-2021 Around the NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Bobby Portis or Cam Payne were gonna be champs.
Cam Payne is still terrible. He found the perfect situation to make him passable. I think he'll be out of the league in a couple years still.

Bobby Portis though has always been a valuable role player

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Cam Payne is still terrible. He found the perfect situation to make him passable. I think he'll be out of the league in a couple years still.

Bobby Portis though has always been a valuable role player
Payne played himself into a multi-year deal with someone.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Payne played himself into a multi-year deal with someone.
He better hope it's the sun's with Paul because if he goes to some poor/mediocre or really any team without a great offensive system, he'll be out of the league quick. He just isn't good

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He better hope it's the sun's with Paul because if he goes to some poor/mediocre or really any team without a great offensive system, he'll be out of the league quick. He just isn't good
He's a career backup, but NBA teams are stupid. So I won't be surprised if someone overpays for him.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
He's a career backup, but NBA teams are stupid. So I won't be surprised if someone overpays for him.
I honestly wouldn't even want him as my backup. I think he's somewhere in between what he was with the bulls and what he did this year on your average NBA roster with mediocre coaching

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cam better not leave Paul like Bobby better not leave giannis

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Giannis already has done what lebron never could do…win a ring without being a ring chaser. Giannis stayed put and remained loyal and delivered a title on his own, lebron had to go run to wade and Bosh and then to kyrie and love and then to LA to bring Anthony Davis in to win.

Giannis when it’s all said and done will be a bigger threat to Jordan’s GOAT status than lebron

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Giannis already has done what lebron never could do…win a ring without being a ring chaser. Giannis stayed put and remained loyal and delivered a title on his own, lebron had to go run to wade and Bosh and then to kyrie and love and then to LA to bring Anthony Davis in to win.

Giannis when it’s all said and done will be a bigger threat to Jordan’s GOAT status than lebron
I mean, there is a good chance we'll never see anyone threaten Jordan's GOAT status. I don't think Giannis is that guy.

LeBron stopped being a threat to it the moment he decided to join another top 5 player in the league, and then proceeded to lose to Dirk Nowitzki and his ragtag band of misfits in the 2011 Finals.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean, there is a good chance we'll never see anyone threaten Jordan's GOAT status. I don't think Giannis is that guy.

LeBron stopped being a threat to it the moment he decided to join another top 5 player in the league, and then proceeded to lose to Dirk Nowitzki and his ragtag band of misfits in the 2011 Finals.

he might not be, I just think Giannis has a better chance of it at this point than lebron. Giannis just got his first ring a couple years sooner than Jordan got his first. obviously a looooooong way to go still for Giannis….but, if he stays healthy and continues to develop his game…he’s the one I think currently has the best chance. Especially since he went about winning the “alpha” way, he didn’t go running to the best superstar(s) to win a title.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I keep forgetting Giannis is only 26.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
he might not be, I just think Giannis has a better chance of it at this point than lebron. Giannis just got his first ring a couple years sooner than Jordan got his first. obviously a looooooong way to go still for Giannis….but, if he stays healthy and continues to develop his game…he’s the one I think currently has the best chance. Especially since he went about winning the “alpha” way, he didn’t go running to the best superstar(s) to win a title.
If you're going by age, yes Giannis got his ring sooner than Jordan, but Giannis came in two years earlier than Jordan did. Jordan won a title in his 7th season, Giannis in his 8th season.

I think Giannis taking a few seasons to develop is always going to be a knock on him versus Jordan who came running out of the gate. Remember the Bulls played the Bucks in the 2015 playoffs, and I don't even remember Giannis in that series at all.

Jordan's 1987-1988 and Giannis 2019-2020 stat lines have a lot of similarities, and they both won MVP and DPOY. That is something Giannis has over LeBron, though I remember media making some point LeBron should have won DPOY one of the years he won MVP. Looking at the votes, it looks like 2013 was that year.. Marc Gasol won DPOY over LeBron in a somewhat close race.

But last year, it was pretty indisputable Giannis was going to win both awards.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If you're going by age, yes Giannis got his ring sooner than Jordan, but Giannis came in two years earlier than Jordan did. Jordan won a title in his 7th season, Giannis in his 8th season.

I think Giannis taking a few seasons to develop is always going to be a knock on him versus Jordan who came running out of the gate. Remember the Bulls played the Bucks in the 2015 playoffs, and I don't even remember Giannis in that series at all.

Jordan's 1987-1988 and Giannis 2019-2020 stat lines have a lot of similarities, and they both won MVP and DPOY. That is something Giannis has over LeBron, though I remember media making some point LeBron should have won DPOY one of the years he won MVP. Looking at the votes, it looks like 2013 was that year.. Marc Gasol won DPOY over LeBron in a somewhat close race.

But last year, it was pretty indisputable Giannis was going to win both awards.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't even remember this play, then again, I barely remember this game because it was essentially over by the 1st quarter. I believe I passively watched it the rest of the way.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't even remember this play, then again, I barely remember this game because it was essentially over by the 1st quarter. I believe I passively watched it the rest of the way.
I too have no recollection of this play lol

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
What‘s also impressive to me about this ring for Giannis is he did it with one of the worst #2s ever to win a ring. Just going back and looking at all the past teams that have won it and Middleton doesn’t come even close to most of them.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What‘s also impressive to me about this ring for Giannis is he did it with one of the worst #2s ever to win a ring. Just going back and looking at all the past teams that have won it and Middleton doesn’t come even close to most of them.
2011 Dallas didn't really have anyone beyond Dirk. Kidd was a shell of his former self by this point.

94 Rockets are basically Olajuwon.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
2011 Dallas didn't really have anyone beyond Dirk. Kidd was a shell of his former self by this point.

94 Rockets are basically Olajuwon.

jason terry was probably the number 2 behind dirk in those finals. He played really really well but for sure not a guy you think of as a true #2 guy

94 rockets were a lot more than just Olajuwon.
sam cassell, Kenny smith, Vernon maxwell, Robert horry, Otis Thorpe, and Mario Elie. Maxwell and Thorpe were probably the most productive after Hakeem so sure not anything to get excited about as a #2, but they had 6 really good players with Hakeem

so while I agree not much there as a “dominant #2” type guy, to say basically just Olajuwon is a lil misleading as well

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
jason terry was probably the number 2 behind dirk in those finals. He played really really well but for sure not a guy you think of as a true #2 guy

94 rockets were a lot more than just Olajuwon.
sam cassell, Kenny smith, Vernon maxwell, Robert horry, Otis Thorpe, and Mario Elie. Maxwell and Thorpe were probably the most productive after Hakeem so sure not anything to get excited about as a #2, but they had 6 really good players with Hakeem

so while I agree not much there as a “dominant #2” type guy, to say basically just Olajuwon is a lil misleading as well
Any team that wins a title is never "just" one player, but I think the sentiment they're going for here is that usually you need a superstar (ie Dirk, Hakeem, Giannis, etc) and then a sidekick (ie AD, Kyrie, Klay Thompson) who is a star in his own right, but not always a superstar. Bucks had that in Holiday/Middleton. Dirk had a solid cast around him, but not another true star. Same with Hakeem on that team. In those cases the rest of the team adds up to the #2 production wise, but there's not a good answer for who the #2 is. In that sense, it would be "just" the superstar, in terms of leading the team

Status
Not open for further replies.