1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Discuss.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not bad so far. Best baseball action of the year right here.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sounding like the cubs may be creative and not go with the normal consensus top guys available. It's not uncommon though given the cubs tend to like to over slot guys later in the draft.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Scratch that. Sounds like they are taking local kid Howard. Best prep SS in the class.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth I like the pick. Fangraphs had him as the 11th best player who was a 45+ FV. The 16th best player was a 45 flat so cubs got a player a tier higher than they were set at. MLB.com has him at 50/50/55/60/55 for hit/power/speed/fielding/arm. Fangraphs had him at 50/50(55 raw)/55/55/55. So he's a five tool guy who's gonna stick at SS. Cubs have done a really good job developing hitters too(nico wasn't expect to have this much power, davis was suppose to struggle with the hit tool).

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
For what it's worth I like the pick. Fangraphs had him as the 11th best player who was a 45+ FV. The 16th best player was a 45 flat so cubs got a player a tier higher than they were set at. MLB.com has him at 50/50/55/60/55 for hit/power/speed/fielding/arm. Fangraphs had him at 50/50(55 raw)/55/55/55. So he's a five tool guy who's gonna stick at SS. Cubs have done a really good job developing hitters too(nico wasn't expect to have this much power, davis was suppose to struggle with the hit tool).
They can take their time with his bat. He may hit light even if he fills out. Seems he could walk into the majors and be a top tier defensive SS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rather they took the pitcher that went to Azl. That kid hits 95 and has 3 versions of a change up.

Well it really felt a BLM statement as Theo was the front man for the MLB movement and he was a local kid. Just like Boston picked a guy that most likely just goes to college. Both were staged picks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rather they took the pitcher that went to Azl. That kid hits 95 and has 3 versions of a change up.

Well it really felt a BLM statement as Theo was the front man for the MLB movement and he was a local kid. Just like Boston picked a guy that most likely just goes to college. Both were staged picks.

Not sure where you're coming up with this. Howard was widely regarded as a top 15 player. In another year where his season wasn't wiped out he may have gone top 10. Cubs probably had more on him given he is a local product than other teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They can take their time with his bat. He may hit light even if he fills out. Seems he could walk into the majors and be a top tier defensive SS.

They really don't need that. IMO give Javy a 10 year deal and call it a day.

Nothing wrong with the kid but Theo just keeps drafting bats with picks that matter vs invest into front line pitching.

That said it felt statement draft vs intelligent based.

If Javy was a avg D player vs GG quality then I would get it. Not the case and Javy has 10 years of quality level play left. It felt off when I saw it. Then seeing Azl taking a pitcher first guy that increased his FB by 6 mph.... Ya it felt missed opertunity

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure where you're coming up with this. Howard was widely regarded as a top 15 player. In another year where his season wasn't wiped out he may have gone top 10. Cubs probably had more on him given he is a local product than other teams.

As I said. They have Javy at SS and he should be the cornerstone of the franchise.

Nothing to do with the kid at all. Cubs need impact arms more and there was one right there.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

I’m a Sox fan but love this pick for the Cubs. He could play short in the majors right now. He’s an exceptional defender. It’s great to see the local kid stay home too.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also for what it's worth, Baez is 27. Howard is gonna probably take 5 years to get to the majors as high school player. By the time Baez is 32 you very realistically might be moving him to 3B or 2B. It's not unreasonable to expect him to lose a step at that age.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Solid pick.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You don't draft for need in baseball. You take the best player available.

I don't agree with that at all.

When you have pitchers coming out of college and pitching at the MLB level in 1-2 years. Just like Chris Sale. Sox drafted him. Got him in a play off scenerio then the rest is history.

And they just did it again.

This really comes down to it was a statement pick. Ya he was that level of talent. He is smooth. Good player. But when that time comes as it will. You have Javy on a mega deal playing GG level D and no when to play a good kid with a future and then you trade him for a pitcher. Vs just drafting one that can help you fast.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also for what it's worth, Baez is 27. Howard is gonna probably take 5 years to get to the majors as high school player. By the time Baez is 32 you very realistically might be moving him to 3B or 2B. It's not unreasonable to expect him to lose a step at that age.

That is a huge maybe. Javy can lose a step and still play top end D.

At the end of the day it is better to draft a arm. Just my opinion. Arms get injured far more and opertunites happen far more frequent. That weighs the scale in draft weight towards arms in value.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't agree with that at all.

When you have pitchers coming out of college and pitching at the MLB level in 1-2 years. Just like Chris Sale. Sox drafted him. Got him in a play off scenerio then the rest is history.

And they just did it again.

This really comes down to it was a statement pick. Ya he was that level of talent. He is smooth. Good player. But when that time comes as it will. You have Javy on a mega deal playing GG level D and no when to play a good kid with a future and then you trade him for a pitcher. Vs just drafting one that can help you fast.

I'm sure the dodgers really regret drafting Gavin Lux 20th in 2016 when they had Corey Seager who they took 18th in 2012.