2020 MLB Draft

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But all said. I like the pick. Nothing against him.

It is just to me the Cubs need to dedicate to drafting the best arm with picks that matter vs filler picks of easy to sign arms.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm sure the dodgers really regret drafting Gavin Lux 20th in 2016 when they had Corey Seager who they took 18th in 2012.

Seager has a injury history.

Cubs just got another #1 pick SS forced off position.

I get stock piling pitching. Not SS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Beck your strongest argument is Javy to 3B to extend his career. And I see that is the thought process. And I agree with it.

Regardless I just see it as Theo was set on his decision just like Boston made a screw ball choice taking #139 with the 17. That was staged. Bryce Jarvis had a mph increase from 89-95 this year. So there were 2 camps. Belief and doubt. End of the day he has a change like Hendricks with a fastball that matters.

All I'm saying is I'm following that kid...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Like I don't even see your point here... it's not like there was a totally obvious pitcher who should have gone here. Best pitchers in the class were Lace(went #4), Hancock(went #6), Meye(went #3), Abel(went #15). After those names you had guys like Bitsko who reclassified a year early in a season where teams didn't get a good look at high school pitchers so he only had 2 years to judge on. You had Cavalli who has injury issues. You have Wilcox who's still not drafted. Jarvis who went 18th was a guy who hadn't shown great stuff until super recently on a very short sample size.

Point here is none of those players are slam dunk picks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs' selection received high praise, including from one scout who spoke to ESPN's Jeff Passan.

"I just got a text from a scout saying this is the best pick in the draft so far," Passan said on ESPN after the pick was announced. "Ed Howard has enormous upside. Could play shortstop, 6-2, about 185, strong, power, really a good athlete.

"And at this point in the middle of the first-round, that's what you are looking for. You're looking for somebody who can turn into a star. Ed Howard has star written all over him. He also has a lot longer between where he is now and to reach that point."

For what this is worth.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Like I don't even see your point here... it's not like there was a totally obvious pitcher who should have gone here. Best pitchers in the class were Lace(went #4), Hancock(went #6), Meye(went #3), Abel(went #15). After those names you had guys like Bitsko who reclassified a year early in a season where teams didn't get a good look at high school pitchers so he only had 2 years to judge on. You had Cavalli who has injury issues. You have Wilcox who's still not drafted. Jarvis who went 18th was a guy who hadn't shown great stuff until super recently on a very short sample size.

Point here is none of those players are slam dunk picks.

That matters little. This year was nixed. So all info was from last year or from teams that got some activity.

Jarvas. 3-1 .67 ERA. season got cut.

That is why there was not a strong push for him because most viewed him as Hendricks vs a guy that clearly added 6 MPH in the off season and was starting a dominating campaign.

Again missed opertunity

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For what this is worth.

IDK. Watching MLB.com. they were pretty much all saying each hitter picked was the best hitter. Then with him best defender in the draft and his skills should translate to the plate.

He could end up like Gary Templeton who was very smooth at SS. Larkin who is the go-to comp for black SS might be a reach.

Russell was pretty smooth at SS also. Just saying.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Drafting need in baseball would be pretty ignorant. The cubs might as well stick to their strengths which are drafting and developing hitters. These guys can have an impact on our roster down the line or be traded for proven top notch pitchers. If there is a position to stockpile it is SS as the guys are good enough athletes to play anywhere on the field.

The cubs generally have a stockpile of arms that are back of the rotation or solid bp arms. So they either need guys like Marquez to turn out with the few big arms they take a chance on or trade from pitching with position depth.

Also pitchers are fairly likely to have arm issues which makes them even riskier picks.

I'm not against drafting pitching, but also think the cubs have had a pretty sound strategy as far as drafting since Theo has come on board.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That matters little. This year was nixed. So all info was from last year or from teams that got some activity.

Jarvas. 3-1 .67 ERA. season got cut.

That is why there was not a strong push for him because most viewed him as Hendricks vs a guy that clearly added 6 MPH in the off season and was starting a dominating campaign.

Again missed opertunity
You're acting like Jarvis is a sure thing. MLB.com had him at #25. Fangraphs had him at #23. Baseball America didn't have him in their top 25. Point here being if you like Jarvis fine. But you're acting like he was a consensus pick that should have been taking as a top 15 pick and he isn't. Taking him at 16 is forcing a pick. I could see the point if there was an equally talented HS arm to Howard. But you're literally talking about a guy who was throwing high 80's 2 years ago and suddenly spiked for a short amount of time. It's entirely possibly that was flukey.

As for the draft cast comparing everyone to HOFers sure. They are ridiculous. That quote wasn't from them. It was from an actual MLB scout. As for what it means, I look at it like this. There are 0 doubts about him staying at SS and being really good there. So his worst case floor is a potential gold glove type SS. As for his bat, that's one area I don't doubt this front office. Cubs have been well ahead of the curve finding bats. People thought Nico was ok but nothing amazing and he's raked since being drafted. Same can be said for Davis. If Howard has anywhere near the jump in their bat that Nico or Davis has then he is literally going to be a superstar.

As for your comments on pitching, I really don't see your point unless you're 100% sure someone has potential to be a #1/2 starter. Jarvis doesn't have that level of stuff. His best pitch is a 60 grade with a lot of 55's. Cubs have a ton of pitching that is mid tier starter quality already.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For reference, cubs have the 13th pick in round 2. Top rated pitches still available

MLB.com/fangraphs
Jared Kelley(#12/#28)
Cole Wilcox(#23/#18)
Chris McMahon(#29/#49)
Carson Montgomery(#34/#31)
CJ Van Eyk(#39/#42)
Dax Fulton(#43/#45)
JT Ginn(#44/#24)
Cole Henry(#45/#70)
Logan Allen(#46/#57)
Burl Carraway(#49/#44)
Seth Lonsway(#50/#83)
Clayton Beeter(#51/#19)
Tanner Witt(#53/#30)
Masyn Winn(#54/#39)
Tommy Mace(#69/#47)
Christian Roa(#89/#34)

So that's 16 pitchers that either MLB.com or fangraphs had rated in the top 50 players of the draft who are still available.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There was talk that Beeter was an option at 16. I am going to hate having no option other than keeping track of Garrett Mitchell in Milwaukee. This is Theo, when in doubt, take a shortstop.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Theo's belief is the SS is the best player on the team at any level and can play anywhere. One day he will get a feeling about starting pitching development has always been his weak link.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Howard is a stud, evaluated with the same FV as the kind of players who sit at the top of most international signing classes. He has feel to hit, is going to stay at shortstop, and he’s going to get stronger as he matures and hit for power without needing a swing overhaul. The latter is almost certainly true based on what the Cubs strength program has been able to do for Brennen Davis, Benny Rodriguez, Cole Roederer, and a lot of the other teenagers in the system. Howard almost went at 10 and was in Philly’s mix at 15.

More info from fangraphs prospect guy

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Solid pick. Theo's strategy has been best position player available in the 1st and then stockpile pitchers. Obviously the Cubs are in no man's land as a franchise right now. Not bad nor good enough. Plus, they have big decisions to make regarding Bryant ,and Lester is almost off the books. Howard doesn't even factor into the conversation for 3-4 years at best and by that time, this team will look completely different.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
MLB.com had Burl Carraway as the top reliever in the class. I'm not as thrilled by drafting relievers but he's at least well thought of and generally was expected to go around this range of the draft. I wonder if he might come at a minor slot discount give that there were a lot of interesting arms on the board.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Fangraphs prospect guy suggests Carraway has a shot to make the majors this year if he throws strikes. So that's encouraging and cubs don't have a great lefty depth.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Nwogu is a kind of interesting speed/power combo. His arm probably limits him to only LF but mlb.com had him as a 60 grade runner which is more akin to a lot of CFers. So he should have good range. Cubs farm system is also fairly devoid of power so adding a bat like his makes some sense and pairing it with a 60 runner is interesting. His hit tool is below average but cubs have been pretty successful fixing swings a bit. I am not amazed by the pick but i think he could turn out interesting.