2020 MLB Offseason Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hunter Renfroe just was cut by T.B. I am seeing this as a hard maybe. He comes in with 3 years of control and is projected at 3.5M We know that he has a plus arm. To me this is a wash with Schwarber (minus the walks) at 1/2 the price. Over all not a bad option.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Report: Nationals Considering LeMahieu, Bryant
By Mark Polishuk | November 21, 2020 at 8:39am CDT

The Nationals are exploring their options on the infield market, as MLB Network’s Jon Paul Morosi reports (Twitter links) that Washington has interest in free agent second baseman DJ LeMahieu and Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant. While it can be assumed that the Nats are looking at both big names and smaller names, the fact that they’re open to adding higher-salaried players such as LeMahieu and Bryant gives us some hints about the team’s spending capability this offseason.
LeMahieu would be the more expensive of the two, of course, as he is projected to land a lucrative multi-year deal in free agency (MLBTR has him projected for four years and $68MM). The Nats would also have to give up a second-round draft pick and $500K in international bonus pool money to sign LeMahieu, since he rejected the Yankees’ qualifying offer.
This all being said, the Nationals haven’t shied away from making big additions in free agency in the past, and Morosi notes that the Nats also had interest in LeMahieu the last time he was a free agent back in the 2018-19 offseason. (Washington instead signed Brian Dozier to a one-year, $9MM deal to handle second base, a deal the Nats probably don’t regret considering they won the 2019 World Series.) Though players like Juan Soto and Trea Turner will continue to get expensive through arbitration, the Nationals have quite a bit of money coming off the books after 2021, so LeMahieu wouldn’t put much of an extra burden on the payroll.
Bryant would be a shorter-term add, since he is only under contract through the 2021 season before hitting free agency himself. MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projects Bryant to earn $18.6MM in his final year of arbitration, so while the former NL MVP isn’t inexpensive, some of that salary could be covered by whatever the Nationals would send back to the Cubs in a trade. For what it’s worth, Bryant is represented by Scott Boras, whose solid working relationship with the Lerner family is well-documented; on the current Nationals roster alone, Soto, Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, and Seth Romero are all Boras clients.
Chicago is reportedly open to moving just about any of its higher-priced veterans, though Bryant is something of a tricky trade candidate considering he hit only .206/.293/.351 in 147 plate appearances during an injury-plagued 2020 season. That down year will surely factor into what the Nationals or any other team would be willing to give up in a trade, yet the Cubs obviously also don’t want to sell low on a former All-Star (unless forced into such a move due to payroll constraints). Signing LeMahieu is more expensive but also carries fewer question marks, plus Washington wouldn’t have to give up any young talent in a trade to land LeMahieu.
Looking at the Nats’ roster, either LeMahieu or Bryant would help an infield that is pretty unsettled beyond Turner at shortstop. First base is wide open, Starlin Castro will play every day at either second base or third base, Carter Kieboom will look to break out after a tough rookie season, plus Luis Garcia and the re-signed Josh Harrison provide depth. LeMahieu would slot right into an everyday role, probably at second base, but Washington could move him around to see action at both first and third base depending on situations or how players like Kieboom or Garcia develop. Bryant has some similar versatility, as he would likely play mostly at third base, but could also be shifted to first base or a corner outfield spot.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs Sign Five Players To Minor-League Deals
By Anthony Franco | November 21, 2020 at 6:42pm CDT

The Cubs signed five players to minor-league contracts earlier this week. Outfielder Rafael Ortega, right-hander Jake Jewell, catcher Taylor Gushue and left-hander Jerry Vasto are all joining the organization, relays Chris Hilburn-Trenkle of Baseball America. (Marc Delucchi had previously reported Vasto’s signing). Additionally, outfielder Ian Miller has re-signed with Chicago, as noted by MLB.com’s transactions tracker.
The pair of outfielders are probably the most notable players involved. Miller was once a decently-regarded speed/defense prospect in the Mariners’ system. The 28-year-old has logged 18 MLB plate appearances between the Twins and Cubs over the past two seasons. Ortega has seen big league time in four seasons, picking up 447 plate appearances between the Rockies, Angels, Marlins and Braves. The 29-year-old has a career .229/.287/.290 slash line.
Jewell tossed 28.1 relief innings for the 2018-19 Angels. He got knocked around for a 6.99 ERA/6.67 FIP despite mid-90’s velocity. The 27-year-old made it into the Giants’ 60-man player pool in 2020 but didn’t see any MLB action. Similarly, Gushue got to the Nationals’ alternate training site this summer but never made the majors. The former fourth-rounder has a career .240/.309/.396 line in six minor-league seasons. Vasto, 28, pitched in six MLB games with the Rockies and Royals in 2018. He hasn’t seen any game action since, having spent all of 2019 on the minor-league injured list.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
the rumors on the nats and bryant are interesting. I'm not saying they will do this but others have suggested they would trade Kieboom for Bryant which i'd probably do honestly. Robles was also thrown out and while I like the defense i'm not sure. how much I believe in his bat.... plus he's lost a lot of team control.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
the rumors on the nats and bryant are interesting. I'm not saying they will do this but others have suggested they would trade Kieboom for Bryant which i'd probably do honestly. Robles was also thrown out and while I like the defense i'm not sure. how much I believe in his bat.... plus he's lost a lot of team control.

I've thought of that also and it has merit.

A interesting change has happened in Atl. They signed Smyly and Charlie Morton. That puts a few of their starters out of a job. Notably Sean Newcomb. He comes with control through 2024 and could be a back of the rotation lefty. I would offer a trade centered around Schwarber for insurance on them not being able to resign Marcell Ozuna for left field. It would take a 2nd player and we would be talking a 50 grade prospect. Chase Strumpf would be ideal to send over as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But looking it over:

Say Cubs and ATl deal. Schwarber for Newcomb
Then with Nat's Bryant for Kieboom.

The team would be at:

LF open
CF Happ
RF Heyward
3B Kieboom
SS Baez
2B Hoerner
1B Rizzo
C Contreras
DH Caratini

Rotation:
Darvish
Hendricks
Newcomb
Mills
Alzolay

I believe this is a decent start. I would target Profar at that point for LF and and let Davis force a roster move down the road. Marquez also will force a roster move but we expected Mills to be the odd man out here.

This has the makings of a quick reboot.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

I like my idea of catching Mike Rizzo in a compromising situation at the Mayflower in exchange for Soto better.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

id still rather have Robles. Put him in CF and move Happ to LF and trade schwarber for some starting pitching.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
id still rather have Robles. Put him in CF and move Happ to LF and trade schwarber for some starting pitching.

With Davis close you don't want to block him. Now if there was anything to be made of with Happ's 3B stint in 2019 and him becoming a league avg 3B option then it opens up new doors

Regardless I feel that Profar should be a main target. Can play LF/3B/SS/2B. That alone is valuable but add in SH and a career 10% walk rate and a mini breakthrough last year. It may end up a huge signing for the team that inks him.

For the Cubs he opens up doors and can be adjustable when talent upwells.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
With Davis close you don't want to block him. Now if there was anything to be made of with Happ's 3B stint in 2019 and him becoming a league avg 3B option then it opens up new doors

Regardless I feel that Profar should be a main target. Can play LF/3B/SS/2B. That alone is valuable but add in SH and a career 10% walk rate and a mini breakthrough last year. It may end up a huge signing for the team that inks him.

For the Cubs he opens up doors and can be adjustable when talent upwells.

you wouldn’t be blocking Davis. Having 2 legit CF’s isn’t a problem really. Especially when you know the DH is coming. Happ can always end up DHing some. Or even some 2B if need be.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
you wouldn’t be blocking Davis. Having 2 legit CF’s isn’t a problem really. Especially when you know the DH is coming. Happ can always end up DHing some. Or even some 2B if need be.

I wouldn't look towards the DH solving this. I see David utilizing it as he did this year to give full time PA to both Contreras and Caritini.

Like I said it makes more sense to think of the future being Happ in left and Davis in center. This is most likely going to start becoming a reality this year.

This is why IMO it makes more sense to go after Profar. Doing nothing means he would be the prime 2B and RH hitting LF. That way Jed can sit on his pending players until the deadline and sell high vs now sell low.

A play off rental has a higher return value than a 1 year rental. There is a driving need to win vs filling a role.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I wouldn't look towards the DH solving this. I see David utilizing it as he did this year to give full time PA to both Contreras and Caritini.

Like I said it makes more sense to think of the future being Happ in left and Davis in center. This is most likely going to start becoming a reality this year.

This is why IMO it makes more sense to go after Profar. Doing nothing means he would be the prime 2B and RH hitting LF. That way Jed can sit on his pending players until the deadline and sell high vs now sell low.

A play off rental has a higher return value than a 1 year rental. There is a driving need to win vs filling a role.

david would be an idiot to keep prioritizing AB’s for caratini. And the DH IS coming. It’s not an if but a when. Acquiring Robles and adding Davis to the OF, while kicking Happ to DH/LF/2B duties improves the defense and doesn’t sacrifice anything offensively...actually improves the offense by getting caratini out of the lineup and adds some speed to the lineup as well

CSF77

Liked Posts:
david would be an idiot to keep prioritizing AB’s for caratini. And the DH IS coming. It’s not an if but a when. Acquiring Robles and adding Davis to the OF, while kicking Happ to DH/LF/2B duties improves the defense and doesn’t sacrifice anything offensively...actually improves the offense by getting caratini out of the lineup and adds some speed to the lineup as well

It has more to do with regular play for Contreras and not locking up the DH on his off days.

That said 2019 should be what to expect with Caratini. .266/.348/.447. coming up he was a .300 hitter for the most part and constant play is called for with a team that lacks contact hitting.

He is not a HR hitter. But the Cubs do not need that. They need guys that have quality at bats.

So I wouldn't sleep on him. There are plenty of teams that would start him today. He has become a top 1/3 framer in the league and caught a no hitter and was the caddy of a Cy-young runner up. Teams take notice of this.

Add to it David is going to cater to his pitchers and catchers. He will put them first.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It has more to do with regular play for Contreras and not locking up the DH on his off days.

That said 2019 should be what to expect with Caratini. .266/.348/.447. coming up he was a .300 hitter for the most part and constant play is called for with a team that lacks contact hitting.

He is not a HR hitter. But the Cubs do not need that. They need guys that have quality at bats.

So I wouldn't sleep on him. There are plenty of teams that would start him today. He has become a top 1/3 framer in the league and caught a no hitter and was the caddy of a Cy-young runner up. Teams take notice of this.

Add to it David is going to cater to his pitchers and catchers. He will put them first.

if you want to play caratini at catcher for his framing skills that’s fine. That’s playing him to his strengths. To DH him is to take away his strength. He is not a .300 hitter, he is a .250 hitter with no power. That’s not what you want to plug into the DH spot. I’m not sleeping on the guy, it’s just what he is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
if you want to play caratini at catcher for his framing skills that’s fine. That’s playing him to his strengths. To DH him is to take away his strength. He is not a .300 hitter, he is a .250 hitter with no power. That’s not what you want to plug into the DH spot. I’m not sleeping on the guy, it’s just what he is.

Read what I said:

Coming up he was a .300 hitter.

Career minor leagues: 1818 AB: .290/.371/.428

I also said that his 2019 numbers: .266/.348/.447 should be a mean in a full time roll. Remember this is a guy that has only 600 career AB's in the majors and a high water of 244. He has never had the opportunity to adjust to major league pitching. He has been used sporadically at best.

.266/.348/.447 is really is not this huge out of reach goal. But seeing how he did far better to equal comp in the minors his cap goes up with constant PA's.

The main things to take away with what he has done is 8.4% walk rate for his mlb career. 21.4% career SO rate. This means that he is having quality at bats. Again another thing that I pointed to.

Now your whole diatribe on power.... The Cubs do not need more power hitters. They need more hitters that have quality at bats and not going up to jack the ball out on every pitch. That is why this team has stalled for years.

Feast or famine.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Read what I said:

Coming up he was a .300 hitter.

Career minor leagues: 1818 AB: .290/.371/.428

I also said that his 2019 numbers: .266/.348/.447 should be a mean in a full time roll. Remember this is a guy that has only 600 career AB's in the majors and a high water of 244. He has never had the opportunity to adjust to major league pitching. He has been used sporadically at best.

.266/.348/.447 is really is not this huge out of reach goal. But seeing how he did far better to equal comp in the minors his cap goes up with constant PA's.

The main things to take away with what he has done is 8.4% walk rate for his mlb career. 21.4% career SO rate. This means that he is having quality at bats. Again another thing that I pointed to.

Now your whole diatribe on power.... The Cubs do not need more power hitters. They need more hitters that have quality at bats and not going up to jack the ball out on every pitch. That is why this team has stalled for years.

Feast or famine.

my response wasn’t a diatribe about power. I mentioned how he is only a .250 hitter AND has no power...meaning, he has little value as a hitter. He doesn’t hit for power, or for average, he doesn’t do more than give you some pitches per AB before grounding out softly to 2B. If you want to harp on minor league numbers and being almost a .300 hitter there, then cool...send him to the minors so he can almost hit .300. Otherwise, he has no business DHing for the cubs.

but again, this was about shifting the OF around and Happ to DH to make room for acquiring Robles and the eventual call up of Davis. And how Caratini isn’t worth throwing a wrench into such a plan, because you “have“ to have him in the lineup daily for some reason.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
my response wasn’t a diatribe about power. I mentioned how he is only a .250 hitter AND has no power...meaning, he has little value as a hitter. He doesn’t hit for power, or for average, he doesn’t do more than give you some pitches per AB before grounding out softly to 2B. If you want to harp on minor league numbers and being almost a .300 hitter there, then cool...send him to the minors so he can almost hit .300. Otherwise, he has no business DHing for the cubs.

but again, this was about shifting the OF around and Happ to DH to make room for acquiring Robles and the eventual call up of Davis. And how Caratini isn’t worth throwing a wrench into such a plan, because you “have“ to have him in the lineup daily for some reason.

You must not understand the game much. Players adjust with constant at bats. When he was playing full time in the minors he was hovering .300. Going against better quality pitching it dropped .050. But as I pointed out his SO ratio is around 20% (really good) and walk rate 8.4% which is league avg. Which means that he is a good hitter that needs constant play to adjust to major league pitching vs getting to hit on Darvish's days and sit on pine 4 days a week. And again you said he has no power. But last I looked .447 was not noodle.

2017: 66 PA ISO .102
2018: 200 PA ISO.072
2019: 279 PA ISO .180
2020: 132 PA ISO .086

2020 was a tank for most of baseball. Looking at 2019 he was trending up as a hitter and that is pretty much what most scouts are looking at right now. Sure GM's will weaponize 2020 to get a better deal but they know the truth of 2020. It was a asterisk year with no fans and a removal of video systems that hitters have become dependent on to fine tune their swing path in game.

Paying for a full time DH is stupid. That 10M is better spent on players that put a glove on.

And to be frank. I doubt Jed trades for Robles. He would be better served retaining Bryant and Schwarber for 2020. If the season dictates a off load great. If they are competitive then add Marquez and Davis mid season and add them to the play off run.

There is no need to sell. There really isn't. Selling in the winter meetings teams will look at Schwarber as trash not worth 8 mil and would rather not. Jed would have to eat 3 mil and take back a junk ball tosser that he will cut the next day.

Bryant right now might not be woth Kieboom. Teams will point to a sub 100 wRC+ and injuries and removed from 2016 with a blood trail in-between. And stuck with 20M to absorb that may never pan out. Believe me that is what a GM will tell whom ever becomes the GM here and if they deal now that will look like nickels on the dollar when it is said and done.

Thatr is why they should sit on it until July.

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't *hate* it but IDK. He's had like 900 pa's and is a .250/.320/.407(89 wRC+) hitter with 5.3%/23.5% bb/k rates. It's probably fair to give him some slack because he came up young. And it's also fair that his defense is good enough that if he's an average hitter he's probably a fringe all-star.

I guess from my perspective, he's a guy who's going to need to have good bb/k rates because he doesn't have a ton of power. When he's been his best in the minors he was a sub 14%k rate guy. So, seeing him sit at 10% higher than that to start his MLB career is a bit worrying. Obviously he could improve but you're banking on that.

The other thing too is cubs don't really have a long term solution at 3B in their minors. We've discussed other possibilities before so I'm not gonna dive too deep into that but that's just sorta why I'm more inclined on Kieboom.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What Jed was talking about:

"We want to look and feel and perform different than we have the last few years," Hoyer said. "So I can't define 'significant' as you might define it, but do I think we need to be different as an offense? No question. And I think we have to identify some of the things we've done poorly and we have to work to improve them.

"That is this game. You're always tackling a new challenge. Nothing's ever perfect. You never have a perfect roster. You never have a perfect situation. And right now, the thing that we're trying to figure out is why we struggle offensively, given the players we have. So, yes, I do think the offense will look different next year."

So what his take was identify why hit core hitters were losing contact rates and increasing in strike out rates. He did not say this was a power issue at all.

the contact rate has gone from 76 percent in '18 to 73.8 percent in '19 to 72.8 percent in '20. Unsurprisingly, the strikeout rate climbed in each of the past two years as well.

I am inclined to say that they will most likely address this with the assistant hitting coach change. Try to hire a guy that connects with the hitters. Then find other methods to get the hitters in tune with their swings mid game. The removal of video feeds most likely will be a long term. But IMO there should be no reason why side camera angles can not be utilized by both teams that do not show the catcher's signs. It should be enough for a hitter to rewind his last AB and see if he is off.

Getting a TV feed should be banned though.

Other than that I would expect any personnel changes to be centered around contact rates. Not power. Who knows what might happen. They might fix Almora as far as we know and we know that he holds a low strike out rate. IMO he got sucked into power and got away from pure hitting. He accually would be a solid gain if he gets back to the .280 hitter with plus D in CF.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You must not understand the game much. Players adjust with constant at bats. When he was playing full time in the minors he was hovering .300. Going against better quality pitching it dropped .050. But as I pointed out his SO ratio is around 20% (really good) and walk rate 8.4% which is league avg. Which means that he is a good hitter that needs constant play to adjust to major league pitching vs getting to hit on Darvish's days and sit on pine 4 days a week. And again you said he has no power. But last I looked .447 was not noodle.

2017: 66 PA ISO .102
2018: 200 PA ISO.072
2019: 279 PA ISO .180
2020: 132 PA ISO .086

2020 was a tank for most of baseball. Looking at 2019 he was trending up as a hitter and that is pretty much what most scouts are looking at right now. Sure GM's will weaponize 2020 to get a better deal but they know the truth of 2020. It was a asterisk year with no fans and a removal of video systems that hitters have become dependent on to fine tune their swing path in game.

Paying for a full time DH is stupid. That 10M is better spent on players that put a glove on.

And to be frank. I doubt Jed trades for Robles. He would be better served retaining Bryant and Schwarber for 2020. If the season dictates a off load great. If they are competitive then add Marquez and Davis mid season and add them to the play off run.

There is no need to sell. There really isn't. Selling in the winter meetings teams will look at Schwarber as trash not worth 8 mil and would rather not. Jed would have to eat 3 mil and take back a junk ball tosser that he will cut the next day.

Bryant right now might not be woth Kieboom. Teams will point to a sub 100 wRC+ and injuries and removed from 2016 with a blood trail in-between. And stuck with 20M to absorb that may never pan out. Believe me that is what a GM will tell whom ever becomes the GM here and if they deal now that will look like nickels on the dollar when it is said and done.

Thatr is why they should sit on it until July.

yeah, I disagree with you so I clearly must know little about baseball. Wtf ever dude. You’re about the most pretentious asshole on this message board full of them. Congrats on that

:javy:

the cubs will make a move this off-season to unload at least one of the “core” guys. Of course it’s unlikely they acquire Robles. It’s unlikely they acquire insert player name here because you’re singling out one player of thousands it could be. That’s what we do in the off-season, we speculate who it could be or who it should be. I’ve already listed why it would make a ton of sense to add an elite defensive CF, and you seem to disagree, which is fine. But don’t fucking act like it means the other person doesn’t understand the game because you differ with that individual. That’s childish as fuck.