2020 MLB Offseason Thread

Castor76

Liked Posts:
This team could be bad and only win 68 games or they could over achieve and win 88 games.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Be that as it may, the 2020 team lost to miami. Like i've never said the team was a legitimate threat to win a world series. I'm simply saying they aren't a great deal worse than the 2020 team. Hell you could argue if Bryant remains and if Bryant, Baez and Rizzo have season they are capiable of having they are as good as what you lose from darvish.

IDK i guess my view on this is like... whatever. Shoot to be a team that makes the playoffs and roll the dice. Best team doesn't always win the world series.

It is more about the pitching match up.

Hendricks is great vs league #2 starters. You put him up against a legit play off ace. deGromm, Bulher etc the chances of winning far under 33%. Then they have to make up ground with underdog the rest of the series.

Vs Miami the bats were dead going in. They were dead all season long. This points towards how shitty the NLC was to even let a dead weight O in.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now from what it sounds like this year will be a bit like last year. They are pushing back S/T to Apr 1
Then opening day to May 1. The season will be 154 games. And do the math. The off days will be non existent.

So if this comes to pass don't be shocked with a 6 man rotation.

So these moves are telling me that Jed is just building depth right now because it will be a grind with little days off and he is going to need to be 8-10 guys deep to get through it.

This is not about winning the division.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This team could be bad and only win 68 games or they could over achieve and win 88 games.

By the ASG we will know.

I would expect if they are in first then status que.

If they are in the pack or sucking eggs it will be a fire sale.

That has been Jed's MO from the begining and there is no new trick to teach that dog.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MLBPA Rejects MLB’s 154-Game Proposal
By Connor Byrne | February 1, 2021 at 10:09pm CDT

10:09pm: The league would have been willing to push back the season without expanded playoffs and the universal DH had the MLBPA made a counterproposal, Heyman tweets. The union declined to do so, as Heyman notes the players would rather start the season on time because of concerns over injuries.
8:48pm: Major League Baseball proposed a 154-game regular season for 2021 to the MLBPA over the weekend, but the union announced that it has rejected the offer. MLB’s offer would have meant delaying the start of spring training and the season by about a month because of COVID-19 concerns, though the players would have received full pay.
In explaining why it turned down MLB’s plan, the union said, “Although Player salaries would not be initially prorated to a 154-game regular season, MLB’s proposal offers no salary or service time protections in the event of further delays, interruptions, or cancellation of the season.”
The league did offer to remove language that could have allowed commissioner Rob Manfred to cancel or postpone the campaign, Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports reports. An expanded postseason “presumably” was on the table, too, per Brown, though Jon Heyman of MLB Network reported earlier Monday that the players have not been in favor of that. This may also eliminate the possibility of a universal designated hitter in 2021, which would greatly affect such free agents as Nelson Cruz and Marcell Ozuna, who have been awaiting clarity on whether the National League will keep the position for a second straight year.
“In light of the MLBPA’s rejection of our proposal, and their refusal to counter our revised offer this afternoon, we are moving forward and instructing our Clubs to report for an on-time start to Spring Training and the Championship Season, subject to reaching an agreement on health and safety protocols,” the league said in its own statement.
As of now, camp’s scheduled to begin Feb. 17 and the season is slated to start April 1. A full season would be a welcome development for baseball fans after the league’s teams played just 60 regular-season games apiece in 2020, though it’s alarming that MLB and the MLBPA continue to fight over key issues. The two sides have had a contentious relationship over the past couple of years, and with the current collective bargaining agreement set to expire in December, an eventual work stoppage looks all the more realistic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So no DH. Games start on schedule.

What I hope to see is Hendricks and Davies on regular 5th day rotation. Williams, Mills, Alzolay and Steward play spot start in the between days of their starts. That way in-season performance will create the 3rd stable starter and so on vs a guaranteed rotation spot regardless of that pitchers results.

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
LA trading for Fowler is interesting. Their outfield will be Upton(FA after 2 years), Fowler(FA after next year) and Trout. They have Brandon Marsh who probably starts in AAA this year but could theoretically be ready by july. They also have Jo Adell. And finally they have Jordyn Adams who i'd guess starts in A+ but could move up to AA.

Point here being does trading for Fowler potentially make Adell available? Marsh could theoretically fill in for fowler next year and move over to RF when Upton is gone. Adams would likely push Trout to LF eventually. They also theoretically have Ohtani but DHing him probably makes the most sense.

Adell was horrid in his call up. He hit .161/.212/.266 and struck out 41.7% of the time. He was equally horrid in the field with a -16.7 UZR/150 and -3 DRS granted it was only ~300 innings. But you're still talking about a guy with massive power and someone who was a top 10 prospect.

I have no idea who they'd want for him. I wouldn't give up Contreras 1 for 1 for him. I doubt they want Bryant given they have Rendon. But he's an interesting piece if he is available.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LA trading for Fowler is interesting. Their outfield will be Upton(FA after 2 years), Fowler(FA after next year) and Trout. They have Brandon Marsh who probably starts in AAA this year but could theoretically be ready by july. They also have Jo Adell. And finally they have Jordyn Adams who i'd guess starts in A+ but could move up to AA.

Point here being does trading for Fowler potentially make Adell available? Marsh could theoretically fill in for fowler next year and move over to RF when Upton is gone. Adams would likely push Trout to LF eventually. They also theoretically have Ohtani but DHing him probably makes the most sense.

Adell was horrid in his call up. He hit .161/.212/.266 and struck out 41.7% of the time. He was equally horrid in the field with a -16.7 UZR/150 and -3 DRS granted it was only ~300 innings. But you're still talking about a guy with massive power and someone who was a top 10 prospect.

I have no idea who they'd want for him. I wouldn't give up Contreras 1 for 1 for him. I doubt they want Bryant given they have Rendon. But he's an interesting piece if he is available.

Baez was just like that in his first attempt.

I'm pretty sure that Fowler was just a 4th OF trade to give Adell less pressure. Joe is a master of creating situations that benefit his players.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope the season does start on time. Didn't get nearly enough baseball last year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It will. Union hit MLB with the nope stick.