2020 NBA Draft Thread

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heard Kaplan today say that when Ballard went in to talk to Michael about our GM opening he said that this was the job that he wanted the most but under two condions. The first being that Ballard didn't want Ted Phillips anywhere near the football operations, the second being that Chris wanted to cut Cutler his first day on the job. According to Kaplan, Michael told Ballard pretty much "Nope, thanks for coming in."

Is this a true story? If so why are they so tied to Ted Phillips?
If you're going to draft a raw talent, this is the type of draft to do it in given the draft is not very strong.

That said, could be he won't ever be anything amazing. He could be a career long solid player who will never be an All-Star (Marvin Williams type), or he could be Giannis who takes 5 years to develop. Lots of unknown, but this was a weak draft (as was the draft Giannis was drafted in), so I don't mind the pick. I wasn't really going to be excited about anyone who they picked in this draft.

This is also a new regime picking the guy, so I am likely to give more leeway here and see what they can do. If GarPax made this pick, I probably would be panning it.
True enough. Thing that gets me, no "experts" had the Bulls drafting this kid. In fact, he was ranked much lower by general consensus. Now, when are "experts" always right? Obviously, the new Bulls scouts see something in him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on the entire draft or drafting philosophy, I really liked pick 2 and the Dotson grab post draft who was projected as a late 1st, 2nd rounder.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I over-reacted on this one.

I would go ahead and be certain it had more to do with me being half over the cookoo nest at the tail end of a long covid isolation bender fueled with snoop dog amounts of weed and drinking like a gold fish...which is the substance that turns into psychotic episodes and legal issues for me.

The "stiffness" issue is some thing with him playing under control at 18 years old...which is beyond reasonable. The guys muscle genetics are top shelf. His body is top shelf.

He is a very gifted basketball player and the game comes easy for him.

We probably drafted the highest super-star potential guy, and I would lean more toward the national writer who said we might be wondering how he wasn't a top pick in a couple years far more than how he got selected at #4.

I am sure AK is very happy with his selection, and I congratulate him and concur. I can be an idiot when I don't manage my emotions. I was an idiot here. Patrick Williams is the envy of anyone who has ever played basketball. He has the perfect body.

After looking deeper into this, I would take him over Edwards, Wiseman, or for sure Ball.

AK did the Bulls solid. I was way off. Some freshman don't play into starting line-ups until the tourney on deep mature squads. It probably just had to do with redundancy and experience ahead of him, coach protecting him for some reason or even an agent agreement with coach.

"The Promise" does have an application...if the Bulls were happy with Patrick but wanted one of the aformentioned three a little more...you could telegraph your pick and bait the Pistons to trade up to 3. Dropping Ball or something.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, it isn't the player, who I will hope for good things as he develops, it is the concept of drafting a player that has to grow into his body. I, personally, would have felt better with a less raw recruit at 4. He could turn out to be the next Lebron, but that is an aweful big, "hope" with pick 4. Like I said, sort of, give me that that of pick in the middle/end of the first round or the second round, or even better the undrafted Guard they picked up. Perfect. In concept that's what I'm thinking.
This was a shot for Lebron or Giannis level of player.

I was wrong. I was idiotic. And clearly we don't have the material to look at the executives do.

What changes things for me is to see the offensive polish that he has. This kid already has a soft touch and a mid range game at 19. Its easy for him. I was afraid his long arms would effect his shot negatively. But he isn't that type of guy. In fact, he is way beyond where Giannis was, imo, already.

He is ahead of schedule when you consider the late growth.

I just want to see him keep working on his post game and range.
As well as cross train and figure out how to unlock his athleticism. Maybe he will just harden up with some age.
Should start yoga now, and not wait like Lebron.

This guy is talented enough to bring excitement and some big free agents.

I couldn't have been MORE wrong. He's not what I feared at all.

If he grows into a center he grows into a muscular Giannis. "The Admiral" wouldn't be the worst thing either.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I HAVE been drinking alot.

Forgive me. I was drunk as fuck when the pick came out and that was wild and unnecessary and wrong. And my site was way off too.
I saw some Florida State footage where he is roaming off ball alot, and the kid plays under control because he is a child driving a Ferrari and doesn't know its capabilities yet.

Basketball is an easy game for this kid. If he loves it, I'm not sure you can go wrong.

With more information the only player I might select before him is Edwards, and I forgive Golden State because of need and timeline and another great talent in Wiseman. But long term I think that formula is heavily in Patrick Williams favor.

I feel bad for Michael Jordan that he had the third pick and these 3 players were in the draft, and he got Melo Ball. Thats not going to age well.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AK had several role players he could have added as he knows. He made this draft a choice between

Deni or a PG.

Or Patrick Williams.

Deni gives you a 5th/6th type starter asset who easily gets 6 rebounds and 11 points or something.
Any of the PG's would have been smooth to build around for the Bulls and brought value.

He stepped up and pointed to the stands with his bat at his first at bat.

All hail AK. The Bulls have a leader with vision. Great fucking job. Bulls won the fucking draft without it being handed to them for once. SHOCKED!!!! LOVE!!

I could not have been more wrong initially. Or more drunk.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just want to be on the right side of history and clarify that I was skunk drunk and shocked by a name I never heard before, or vaguely remember announcers gushing over coming off the bench and making excuses for why he didn't start, but that he was their leader for the tourney and a top 10 pick or something. Heard that just before the shutdown watching the start of ACC tourney I think but it didn't register.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
You've swung too far the other way now. LeBron or Giannis? that would be gift from the basketball gods. I think we'll be lucky if he ends up being a top 15 player - and im not even going to assume he will be. I'd rather have him prove me wrong.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, I like his age, his size and his athleticism. I do not like the fact he couldn't start at Florida State. You would hope a 4th overall pick would have at least BEEN a starter in college. Hell, the undrafted guard we picked up, did more than just start, he was awful good in college (obviously, 6' 2" hurts and his inconsistent 3 pt shot, well, and not all good college players pan out). The intangible is what's between his ears. Perhaps had he stayed in school another year or two? Now, it's the NBA Summer league, etc... Time will tell.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You've swung too far the other way now. LeBron or Giannis? that would be gift from the basketball gods. I think we'll be lucky if he ends up being a top 15 player - and im not even going to assume he will be. I'd rather have him prove me wrong.
Agreed. Top 50 active player would be a home run for me.

But its a Wiggins type pick. Or Tyrus Thomas. Their upside is not limited by body or athleticism.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, I like his age, his size and his athleticism. I do not like the fact he couldn't start at Florida State. You would hope a 4th overall pick would have at least BEEN a starter in college. Hell, the undrafted guard we picked up, did more than just start, he was awful good in college (obviously, 6' 2" hurts and his inconsistent 3 pt shot, well, and not all good college players pan out). The intangible is what's between his ears. Perhaps had he stayed in school another year or two? Now, it's the NBA Summer league, etc... Time will tell.
I'm not even sure why he didn't start. They were starting to lean on him as they approached the tourney.

You know its been in my lifetime that freshman didn't even start at any ACC school.

In fact Michael Jordan was one of the pioneers that broke that tradition.

FSU had one of the longest and most talented rosters. He just couldn't add much efficiency due to redundancy as a freshman. Gonzaga and FSU might have been the only places he wouldn't have started.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not even sure why he didn't start. They were starting to lean on him as they approached the tourney.

You know its been in my lifetime that freshman didn't even start at any ACC school.

In fact Michael Jordan was one of the pioneers that broke that tradition.

FSU had one of the longest and most talented rosters. He just couldn't add much efficiency due to redundancy as a freshman. Gonzaga and FSU might have been the only places he wouldn't have started.
Yea, the advent of leaving early for the NBA, or the NBA drafting right out of H.S. diminishing college basketball sucks. However, god love the shot clock, if I have to go back and watch anymore Carloina 4 corner crap I sould scream.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diminish the kid, he may turn out great. It is the philosophy of the pick that has me confused.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tha
FYI LaVine didn't start at UCLA and neither did Westbrook his freshman year.

The important part is that Williams was trusted at the end of games.
Thats not how I remember Westbrooks college career.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The taller they are and later they grew the more time they need also.

Thats why I say its even likely he grows into his arms some, Rodman tacked on the last 2 inches at that age I think, after just growing 6 the year previous.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Sorry to do this you (actually both of us, because I liked the post), but this did not age well.
I did say 2.0 which usually is a more improved version :troll: Murray is what Gordon could have been had he developed his handling/passing and into the combo guard he was thought to be coming out of UCONN.

Also did the honeymoon with AK end quick or what?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I did say 2.0 which usually is a more improved version :troll: Murray is what Gordon could have been had he developed his handling/passing and into the combo guard he was thought to be coming out of UCONN.

Also did the honeymoon with AK end quick or what?
Now AK is the worst GM in the league!