hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I dont care one damn about how much money is in the press box.

Put the best 18 on the ice, especially especially especially if its the best 18 for 2022-23.

They can leave if they don't like it. But if the yewt is the answer to both now and later, the money is a sunk cost and why put it on the ice if it harms you?

There has to be a point to it, like with DeHaan...prove you can stay healthy for 15 games, and play a middle pairing roll so we can eat half your cheddar and get you the fuck out in exchange for a fish and chips dinner.
They are not sitting seabs in the press box not at 6.8 million. He will not play everyday but be assured he will be on the third pairing on a consistent basis. If he can prove somehow or another than he can still play in some capacity that’s a bonus, which may make it easier for Stan to make a deal and send him to Seattle. The Krakken are about the only possible way Seabs will leave Chicago.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
How much cap space is realistically left?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seabs is one of the worst contracts in professional sports history. I would bring up Barry Zito of the San Francisco Giants. I'm not saying one is worse. There was a big difference.

1. Barry Zito: took the best 12-6 curveball in baseball to a cy young. Then changed it after signing one of the richest contracts in baseball and added about 8 runs to his era for 2-3 years while he learned how to pitch like everyone else. LOL!!!!!!

2. Seabs: His contract was based on a promise.

I don't know how to evaluate that really because it is a contract for the locker-room. Once the promise is made it must be kept or lose the entire team. They didn't anticipate the biggest strongest guy on the team would ever become obsolete. Worst case scenario he is supposed to still be Charra.

Maybe he is? I'm rooting for him.

If we were serious Vahntenen would sure look good and a one year prove it deal for Granlund who surely wants to prove his next team can get his Wild numbers and not his Preds numbers.

Maybe Granlund is actually realistic based on that, and would help replace Saad and start to push guys back who would stack that third line like Cat or Suter.

The only thing is I don't know how compatible Janmark and Suter would be with either Strome or Dach or Carp between them. Any thoughts on that?

Both lefties. I think Suter is a pure left wing "tank" poacher as Martini called him. He likes to park near the crease, not pass through.

Is Janmark more a guy you could play at right wing?
Saad was overpayed and not giving us much in the regular season, continuing a trend of going through the motions for long periods. I think he was probably in the Kane camp of just not liking the way we were playing and not being willing to sacrifice for stupid "the hard way" hockey. So they removed that voice, and Toews is surprised they are going to go the JC way now.

Shaw/Suter/Cat-Toews-Kubalik/Cat/Shaw
Cat/Suter/Kubalik-Dach/Strome-Kane
Janmark/Suter-Strome/Dach/Carp-Shaw/Janmark/Kampf
Wallmark-Carp-Kampf
(its kinda funny but the 4th line is probably the one that is set in stone. Of course Wallmark allows you to test both Carp and Kampf up the lines if you want)

13. 1A.Smith? 1B.Nylander? 1C. 8th D 4B's. Morrison. Pirri. Entwhistle. Barrett. Tiply. (may the best man win)
(Nylander is just a guy now unless he makes a jump, I think he needs to prove to the prospects behind him that he is better than them by going to rockford though or you have a morale problem instead of a competition solution)

Keith-Zadorov
DeHaan/Seabs-Murphy
Seabs/DeHaan-Boqvist/Mitchell

7. Mitchell/Boqvist/Lindholm/Caarlson

Goalie- 1A. Nalimov 1B. Lankinen

2B. Suppan/Delia

Last edited:

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Think the top 6 shakes out with these combos

kubalik Toews Kaner.
Cat Dach Janmark
Cat Toews Kubalik
Janmark Dach Kaner

Suter is the wildcard but I expect him to start in bottom 6 much like Kubalik did last year.

Target35

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A surprise could be Walmartt , many hockey people are saying he was a sneaky good signing that could find his way with the Hawks

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They are not sitting seabs in the press box not at 6.8 million. He will not play everyday but be assured he will be on the third pairing on a consistent basis. If he can prove somehow or another than he can still play in some capacity that’s a bonus, which may make it easier for Stan to make a deal and send him to Seattle. The Krakken are about the only possible way Seabs will leave Chicago.
Agreed. Not just for the reasons you mentioned but sitting 6.8M in the pressbox every night wastes 6.8M of Rockey's money for nothing.

Unfortunately, Seabs still has all the cards when it comes to the rebuild. He can still fail to waive his NMC and thus can't be Krackened.
How much cap space is realistically left?
Right now ~5.2M. We could, theoretically, bring in someone halfway decent, but halfway decent doesn't turn the team into a winner. About the only thing I could think of is sending an extraneous D-man with negative value out for someone with a less-long contract--hopefully just this season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Not just for the reasons you mentioned but sitting 6.8M in the pressbox every night wastes 6.8M of Rockey's money for nothing.

Unfortunately, Seabs still has all the cards when it comes to the rebuild. He can still fail to waive his NMC and thus can't be Krackened.

Right now ~5.2M. We could, theoretically, bring in someone halfway decent, but halfway decent doesn't turn the team into a winner. About the only thing I could think of is sending an extraneous D-man with negative value out for someone with a less-long contract--hopefully just this season.
Yeah...

I'd use it to give Strome another chance personally. I was a little hard on him. His face-off percentage got up to 47.7?

Thats pretty good for him. 23 years old. Still improving, just got overwhelmed or injured or who knows last year, much less time with Cat or Kane overall.

I'm curious if either Janmark or Walmark might be ideal guys to pair up with Cat-Strome? Or Dach on an ultra talented third?
no strome?

Suter-Toews-Kubalik
Cat-Dach-Kane
Janmark-Wallmark-Shaw?
Smith?-Carp-Kampf

This feels like the plan after free agency. Strome changes everything, Smith or Shaw can be replaced.
Nalimov is an NHL talent. I think they are higher on Suppans talent then on his performance so far, and thats probably fair to be honest, same with Delia.

Between Nalimov, Lankinen, Delia, Suppan I think they probably feel somebody can emerge, Nalimov and Suppan have some seasoning already. IDK...could be a sad sad year, but I'm not giving up. The changes might click in a magic formula if Suter is really good and a true power forward. At the end of the day we have Keith and Toews and Kane still...Seabs might not be done.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah...

I'd use it to give Strome another chance personally. I was a little hard on him. His face-off percentage got up to 47.7?

Thats pretty good for him. 23 years old. Still improving, just got overwhelmed or injured or who knows last year, much less time with Cat or Kane overall.

I'm curious if either Janmark or Walmark might be ideal guys to pair up with Cat-Strome? Or Dach on an ultra talented third?
no strome?

Suter-Toews-Kubalik
Cat-Dach-Kane
Janmark-Wallmark-Shaw?
Smith?-Carp-Kampf

This feels like the plan after free agency. Strome changes everything, Smith or Shaw can be replaced.
Nalimov is an NHL talent. I think they are higher on Suppans talent then on his performance so far, and thats probably fair to be honest, same with Delia.

Between Nalimov, Lankinen, Delia, Suppan I think they probably feel somebody can emerge, Nalimov and Suppan have some seasoning already. IDK...could be a sad sad year, but I'm not giving up. The changes might click in a magic formula if Suter is really good and a true power forward. At the end of the day we have Keith and Toews and Kane still...Seabs might not be done.
  1. I won't mind Strome as long as he's cheap and is on a "prove-it" deal. He also can't be guarenteed a slot--if Dach outplays him then Dach gets the nod.
  2. I'd still work with something like Toews/Koob/?? and Kane/Dach/?? Let the other guys live/die basede on the on-ice performance.
  3. For the goalies, one could very well emerge, but they have zero D protection. The team D has not gotten any better than the last few seasons. Zaddy may have size and snarl, but he's still a middle-pairing guy (until proven otherwise). I am expecting any weaknesses in their games to be exposed quickly. On the positive, though, if one does prove they can play well (say .915+/-3), can handle adversity, and also maybe can come in cold when one of the other goalies gets exposed and/or the team D cocks it up, then it's gravy. Unfortunately the way the 'hawks are set up right now it's not conducive to development--so I'm not getting that warm and fuzzy vibe.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  1. I won't mind Strome as long as he's cheap and is on a "prove-it" deal. He also can't be guarenteed a slot--if Dach outplays him then Dach gets the nod.
  2. I'd still work with something like Toews/Koob/?? and Kane/Dach/?? Let the other guys live/die basede on the on-ice performance.
  3. For the goalies, one could very well emerge, but they have zero D protection. The team D has not gotten any better than the last few seasons. Zaddy may have size and snarl, but he's still a middle-pairing guy (until proven otherwise). I am expecting any weaknesses in their games to be exposed quickly. On the positive, though, if one does prove they can play well (say .915+/-3), can handle adversity, and also maybe can come in cold when one of the other goalies gets exposed and/or the team D cocks it up, then it's gravy. Unfortunately the way the 'hawks are set up right now it's not conducive to development--so I'm not getting that warm and fuzzy vibe.
No team will develop with the coaching staff the Hawks currently have, tied in with the worst GM is pro sports, its a fail fail situation currently in Chicago right now. There has always been the ongoing debate about who was the real catalyst of forming the Hawks, but in reality if not for the coaching change of Savard to Q, it would be highly debatable if the Hawks win three Championships. My point is this team has tons of ??? combined with prospects being a work in progress, it’s hard to believe that it won’t be a complete failure, JC is not the guy for the current situation in Chicago.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Suppan's glove hand was an abomination the month before he got shipped out of Vegas. In this day n age you can bet 30 other teams know about it already.

It appears he has the twitch speed to correct this. Perhaps some weeks under Crow were great for him, a goalie who showed it wasn't about talent but technical positioning, habits, and flow.

I guess Suppan gets first crack, watch out for that glove hand, especially high V. Then hopefully the plan is to give Nalimov a shot. His size gives some confidence, but he is no Lehner. Why you would ever let a talent like Lehner get out the door is beyond me and that goes to the Islanders as well as Stan B.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No team will develop with the coaching staff the Hawks currently have, tied in with the worst GM is pro sports, its a fail fail situation currently in Chicago right now. There has always been the ongoing debate about who was the real catalyst of forming the Hawks, but in reality if not for the coaching change of Savard to Q, it would be highly debatable if the Hawks win three Championships. My point is this team has tons of ??? combined with prospects being a work in progress, it’s hard to believe that it won’t be a complete failure, JC is not the guy for the current situation in Chicago.
Preaching to the choir. Still, *some* of the right moves could have been made, even if it would be the complete Mongolian clusterfuck that we know it is. Even if JC screws it up (and I heard a rumor the 'hawks want to extend him :cautious:), they still have good underpinning when the successor takes over.
Suppan's glove hand was an abomination the month before he got shipped out of Vegas. In this day n age you can bet 30 other teams know about it already.

It appears he has the twitch speed to correct this. Perhaps some weeks under Crow were great for him, a goalie who showed it wasn't about talent but technical positioning, habits, and flow.

I guess Suppan gets first crack, watch out for that glove hand, especially high V. Then hopefully the plan is to give Nalimov a shot. His size gives some confidence, but he is no Lehner. Why you would ever let a talent like Lehner get out the door is beyond me and that goes to the Islanders as well as Stan B.
Even so, we have one of, if not the, shittiest team D in the league that leaks an imperial buttload of shots--of which a lot of the chances are of high quality. As the shots go up, so does the chance one gets through--good goalie or not. .917/.918 was not good enough last year--and both of those are very good numbers for goalies. Subban is a career .899. Delia is a career .906. Our Team D on paper has not improved at all. Subban might see his GAA go from ~3.18 to close to 4--just on the difference in shots faced. Delia is used to that much rubber but there's no indication his numbers will go up--and there's zero book on Lankinen and Nalimov at the NHL level. Now...what happens when one of them gets lit up? Instead of a vet presence who can calm them down and possibly tell the skaters to de-head their asses, you're throwing another rookie or an AHL tweener into the fire. That is not conducive for development.

Team Chicago

Liked Posts:
the glass half full about the Hawks situation is that either one of the young goalies emerges as a #1 (most likely Delia if it's going to be anyone), or they're tanking.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
the glass half full about the Hawks situation is that either one of the young goalies emerges as a #1 (most likely Delia if it's going to be anyone), or they're tanking.
It could be both--trying to be the bloody ray of fucking sunshine I am ;). Remember, the 'hawks team D is so bad that in 2017/2018 it took Crawford posting a .929 just to keep them at the wildcard line. Now, it's worse than it was ~2 seasons ago.
One of the youth netminders could very well take the reins and post something like a .915 (starter average since 2005/2006), but we can still completely tank because of the onslaught of shots they face.

The other thing to consider a bit longer-term is that one season does not make a goalie's career. Niemi has an "okay" 1st season, a great 2nd one, and then completely petered out. Crawford had a good 1st season, a bad 2nd one, and then went 7 seasons without a bad one (including 2 Jennings). Even if, say, Delia comes in and posts a good season considering the defensive mess in front of him it could still be an anomaly, not an indication.

Team Chicago

Liked Posts:
It could be both--trying to be the bloody ray of fucking sunshine I am ;). Remember, the 'hawks team D is so bad that in 2017/2018 it took Crawford posting a .929 just to keep them at the wildcard line. Now, it's worse than it was ~2 seasons ago.
One of the youth netminders could very well take the reins and post something like a .915 (starter average since 2005/2006), but we can still completely tank because of the onslaught of shots they face.

The other thing to consider a bit longer-term is that one season does not make a goalie's career. Niemi has an "okay" 1st season, a great 2nd one, and then completely petered out. Crawford had a good 1st season, a bad 2nd one, and then went 7 seasons without a bad one (including 2 Jennings). Even if, say, Delia comes in and posts a good season considering the defensive mess in front of him it could still be an anomaly, not an indication.
Could be. Crawford was very good last year and the team was 12th in the conference when they paused the season, and his partner was Lehner.

I also agree that one season doesn't necessarily tell you what the career of a goalie is going to be, for that matter even veteran goalies have down years and then bounce back in a way you don't see with skater. I was talking about only the upcoming season in my comments about the goaltending.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would rather Stan just say...

"We can't afford a goalie because I brought Shaw and Smith here for no good reason at all."

If you can grab two of Houla/Granlund/Vantanen/Strome with the $5,000,000...

Then LTIR Smith and/or Shaw and trade for a goalie...I don't think we HAVE to suck.

Last edited: