2020 Spring Training Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Agreed. They are giving themselves flexibility. They are going to see how the first few months of the season goes, then make decisions based off that. At this point, I think the only way they trade away guys before the season, is if they get offered a deal too good to turn down.

You are bright about the season part. If they are leading the division then I expect nothing to happen. Even last year San Francisco went in looking like a seller. Winning at that time frame screwed them.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Said it before, say it again, what team would not want this lineup with 2 question marks. Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Contrares, Schwarber, Heyward and options including a veteran 2B man now.
Lester, Darvish, Hendricks, Quintana.

Seriously, where are the upgrades? They dont really exist keeping everyone.

And everyone is writing them off.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Said it before, say it again, what team would not want this lineup with 2 question marks. Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Contrares, Schwarber, Heyward and options including a veteran 2B man now.
Lester, Darvish, Hendricks, Quintana.

Seriously, where are the upgrades? They dont really exist keeping everyone.

And everyone is writing them off.

I believe that we will see

Rizzo
Bryant
Schwarber
Baez
Happ
Contreras
Heyward
Bote

Lester
Hendricks
Darvish
Q
Chatwood

Middle relief:
Mills and Rea

Set up
Wick and Ryan

Closer
Kimbrel

So that leaves 2-3 roster spots for the pen. I believe Weick and Underwood have the edge going in.

Bench wise I see Almora and Caratini as locks.

Garcia and Descalso should have the edge for the IF. Garcia has potential but for now he makes a solid PH that can launch.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I believe that we will see

Rizzo
Bryant
Schwarber
Baez
Happ
Contreras
Heyward
Bote

Lester
Hendricks
Darvish
Q
Chatwood

Middle relief:
Mills and Rea

Set up
Wick and Ryan

Closer
Kimbrel

So that leaves 2-3 roster spots for the pen. I believe Weick and Underwood have the edge going in.

Bench wise I see Almora and Caratini as locks.

Garcia and Descalso should have the edge for the IF. Garcia has potential but for now he makes a solid PH that can launch.
I am not talking lineup, just talent.
Who do people want replaced and upgraded from the 6 core players? 3 core pitchers.
Any one of the 5 of Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber or Contrares get moved there are going to be more complaining than for the trade. Of course the brainiacs will post about how good of prospects we might have gotten in return after they google their stats. Its not fair to break this up or bring in what might be another bad move and make it worse. Heyward is immovable unless you give up a top prospect.

We just need the new direction.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am not talking lineup, just talent.
Who do people want replaced and upgraded from the 6 core players? 3 core pitchers.
Any one of the 5 of Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber or Contrares get moved there are going to be more complaining than for the trade. Of course the brainiacs will post about how good of prospects we might have gotten in return after they google their stats. Its not fair to break this up or bring in what might be another bad move and make it worse. Heyward is immovable unless you give up a top prospect.

We just need the new direction.

To be honest here on talent the Cubs can not replace Bryant internally and there is no up coming 3B savior.

So I would sit on Bryant and give time for development. Their strength is at catcher right now and that should be utilized to gain depth elsewhere. They have Davis 2 years out so that begins to stabilize the OF.

Over all if I am Theo I'm just sitting back and holding the deck and let the season dictate.

Liked Posts:
I dont care if Chatwood is our fifth starter, I just want them to compete and be rewarded on how well they pitch this spring, not setting the ace title right off the bus. Chatwood might have been hitting 98 due to his role in the pen and not holding back needing to make 100 pitches, we wont know. We know he has movement, he just cant control it enough to keep it in the zone and the ball moving a foot will make every catcher looks like a thief disgrace. I have said I prefer to go with 6 man rotation so Mills or Rhea gets a real shot.

I thought Ross was going to bring competition into this team again, and it starts with earning jobs. He said he likes a steady lineup, so that must mean that platooning at 2b and CF is hopefully not a common practice, sounds like performers will earn time.

Chatwood was good in spring training in 2018 if I recall correctly and then a disaster when the season started. Spring training means very little for veterans.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
To be honest here on talent the Cubs can not replace Bryant internally and there is no up coming 3B savior.

So I would sit on Bryant and give time for development. Their strength is at catcher right now and that should be utilized to gain depth elsewhere. They have Davis 2 years out so that begins to stabilize the OF.

Over all if I am Theo I'm just sitting back and holding the deck and let the season dictate.
You are not upgrading 9 spots on this team regardless. As long as heyward is here, everyone else should be allowed to stay.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You are not upgrading 9 spots on this team regardless. As long as heyward is here, everyone else should be allowed to stay.

Irrelevant point.

No one wants him unless they off load a worse deal.

Anyways we have already gone over this but here it is again.

Jason had a 47 wRC+ batting #1.(147PA)
He had a 83 wRC+ as a CF (295 PA)
He had a 120 wRC+ as a RF (287 PA)

Over all he had a 101.

So there were a few factors involved but seeing a 47 wRC+ over that many PA's was a fault on Joe. It should have never gone past 50. It just tells me Joe really was not committed to winning.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anywho IMO Rizzo should lead off and Schwarber should be the 3 hitter ahead of Baez, Happ and Contreras. Long term solution should be Davis as he is a 30/30 talent. But until then they have to go with the OBA/ power game. Wrigley field is better as a HR park and that should be their bread and butter. The bench should be used more for park adjustments. Some parks are better for RH batters etc. Others have larger OF where you might want Almora out there to chase gaps better. Etc.

So that is what I see going into the season. Whining about Jason's contract is plain stupid. Shuda coulda woulda crap

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Irrelevant point.

No one wants him unless they off load a worse deal.

Anyways we have already gone over this but here it is again.

Jason had a 47 wRC+ batting #1.(147PA)
He had a 83 wRC+ as a CF (295 PA)
He had a 120 wRC+ as a RF (287 PA)

Over all he had a 101.

So there were a few factors involved but seeing a 47 wRC+ over that many PA's was a fault on Joe. It should have never gone past 50. It just tells me Joe really was not committed to winning.

It does not matter how many numbers you want to keep throwing out there, its results. Thats what the numbers coming out of your ass have no meaning. Like I keep saying, its how a bunch of people who cannot play the game have effected the game.
Thats all we need are results, wins, one at bat, one RBI, Heyward is better in right field, better offensive numbers for some God forsaken unknown reason, (probably simple like being comfortable) and better defensively in right than pretty much anyone in the majors. All I can hope for is Rossy leaving him the hell alone. He does not work with any hitting instructors we get, he is all on his own.

Team players are not a bunch of guys who work well alone. My problem with Heyward was that was when Theo started deviating from his plan. You have a guy upset with one day of service time, who has been watching himself play better than a guy they ran out and paid 182 million dollars, who was really not needed. Fowler was gone, Jason was signed to play center. How awful would that have been?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It does not matter how many numbers you want to keep throwing out there, its results. Thats what the numbers coming out of your ass have no meaning. Like I keep saying, its how a bunch of people who cannot play the game have effected the game.
Thats all we need are results, wins, one at bat, one RBI, Heyward is better in right field, better offensive numbers for some God forsaken unknown reason, (probably simple like being comfortable) and better defensively in right than pretty much anyone in the majors. All I can hope for is Rossy leaving him the hell alone. He does not work with any hitting instructors we get, he is all on his own.

Team players are not a bunch of guys who work well alone. My problem with Heyward was that was when Theo started deviating from his plan. You have a guy upset with one day of service time, who has been watching himself play better than a guy they ran out and paid 182 million dollars, who was really not needed. Fowler was gone, Jason was signed to play center. How awful would that have been?

I was not a fan of the signing at the time. I felt that he was blocking Soler and what they needed was a CF as Almora was not ready.

It is coulda shoulda woulda talk though.

I'm more concerned with 2020. I totally agree that Jason will be in RF. Happ will be in CF and Almora and Souza will be RH sticks on the bench giving match up changes.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If Ross puts Rizzo at lead off to start the season, he should be fired in April.

Liked Posts:
He said he is considering Rizzo at lead off.

To be fair to Ross, Theo didn’t get the Cubs a lead off hitter. No one on this team really works in that spot.

If Schwarber continues his growth he’d probably be the best option. But he’d be better utilized hitting in the middle of the order. Maybe Happ would be a lead off option if he can cut down on his chase rate a bit more.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be fair to Ross, Theo didn’t get the Cubs a lead off hitter. No one on this team really works in that spot.

If Schwarber continues his growth he’d probably be the best option. But he’d be better utilized hitting in the middle of the order. Maybe Happ would be a lead off option if he can cut down on his chase rate a bit more.
Shwarb would go into the 3. Baez ise an RBI shark. Put ya best OBA guys in front of him. Cubs dont have speed. There is no difference between Schwarber and Rizz besides Rizz has excelled at the 1 and Schwarbs hasnt.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Shwarb would go into the 3. Baez ise an RBI shark. Put ya best OBA guys in front of him. Cubs dont have speed. There is no difference between Schwarber and Rizz besides Rizz has excelled at the 1 and Schwarbs hasnt.
Baez is the RBI shark because none of the other bats that should be locks for the 4 spot can do it consistently. Baez will rule any spot he gets left in.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez is the RBI shark because none of the other bats that should be locks for the 4 spot can do it consistently. Baez will rule any spot he gets left in.

That is why

Rizzo led team in OBA
Bryant #2 OBA
Schwarber .531 SLG
Baez .531 SLG

Works the best.

After that you really are just doing match up and rest days for Contreras. IMO Happ should the lion share of PA's. .564 SLG. Bote held a .362 OBA and can be slotted at the top if needed.

So over all they have the tools to put up runs this year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez OPS for his career is much better with runners on. He feast off it and pitchers are more prone to attack in that situation which goes to his advantage. Baez isnt a leadoff hitter. You would get the least value out of him there.