nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sooo, it's not ok to be a negative bitch, but is ok to be a positive-rationalizing bitch?

I am personally Not a fan of suppressing opinions that may run contrary to the hopes and wishes of others.

There is only one unassailable assessment: big gamble, loads of risk. We needed to significantly ramp up the risk profile and we did.

It's not how I would have gone about it, but my job and future are not at risk like Pace, good luck to him.

Because they are Pace ass kissers. They are desperate for hope. I am skeptical and expect this year to another shitty season followed by the firing of Fox.

This will lead to the "Franchise " QB having to learn another system. Who knows the Fox regime might put him in next season to try to save their jobs.

It only took 2 season for Trubs to beat out the future CFL QB @North Carolina. Oh that is right he never beat out Williams.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
you lost me at Kellen Davis clone.....
My exact words were,"A Kellen Davis clone, with more upside at TE"
meaning I compared him to Davis due to similar physical traits... huge and muscular... but I think he has more skill than Kelln ever did. I actually like the guy and he was my TE option after Evan Engram.

Likewise the Wolfe comparison is only due to height. I haven't seen much of Cohen... but what I have seen he's fast and seams more shifty. Like a water bug..........

Another day of soaking in the other players... and I'll admit.... researching players who was off the radar and I never considered... they may not be as bad as I initially thought. He did address the top three positions I thought the team needed to do.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Likewise the Wolfe comparison is only due to height. I haven't seen much of Cohen... but what I have seen he's fast and seams more shifty. Like a water bug..........

Or because when any Bear or Bear fan compares someone we get to Sproles it makes me think of Wolfe because that's what he was passed off as for years with no real reason other than size. Show me the production on the field before I'll believe any Sproles comparisons.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Or because when any Bear or Bear fan compares someone we get to Sproles it makes me think of Wolfe because that's what he was passed off as for years with no real reason other than size. Show me the production on the field before I'll believe any Sproles comparisons.

If he is as good as Sproles, he will be the steal of the draft.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
But if he turns out to be only 'good' or 'solid', giving the team not much more than Glennon and the team is still not a lock for the playoffs.... it will be looked back as a bad move. If the Texans(Watson), Browns(Kizer) and/or Bills(Peterman) are contenders being led through the playoffs by QBs each having been tied to the Bears... it will be looked back as a bad move... and why? Because any of them could have been had while keeping the teams favorable other picks in every round and them being used on higher quality players instead of players with slim to no chance of making a NFL roster.
Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

The Bears staff made a decision that Trubs was better in their books than the rest of the other QBs. That is scouting. They then decided that he was rated in their books as equal ranking as Adams and the rest of the top players, besides Garrett because he wouldn't be available. That is also scouting.

They then decided that Trubs was their pick because he not only was one of the BPAs but also at a position of dire need. They decided to go all in on Trubs and only Trubs. That was a management decision.

When the 49ers had multiple offers for their 2nd round pick (including a three team trade where the Browns went to 2 and the 49er went to 5(?), they talked to the Bears about moving up so that the 49ers would not lose their player while still trading down.

The Bears themselves had been on the phone with multiple teams wanting to move up to 3 to draft Trubs. They had information on who wanted Trubs and what they were offering. That is collecting intelligence.

The Bears then sweatened the pot for the one player they truly wanted in the draft. That is being decisive.

But ...

since everyone knows that the draft is a crapshoot (seeing that 50% of all 1st round picks bust and it has nothing to do with draft position), there is always a good chance of Trubs not being anything special in the NFL.

The Bears didn't draft Trubs because he was going to be great. They drafted him because he had a chance of being great in their books. They used the pick as their lottery ticket to have a chance at getting a franchise QB.

So if Trubs eventually is considered a bust, don't blame their giving up a few 3rd and 4th round picks. That was the cost of doing business. Blame their scouting for not scouting him correctly or their offensive coaching for not teaching him up.

Imagine the opposite scenario: the Bears stay at 3, Trubs is drafted by the Browns, the Bears get Adams. The players they got at 3, 4 and 3 (2018) are all starters though nothing special.

Adams is everything that we hoped he would be. He is the alpha leader of a top 10 defense. Yet the team is averaging a 7-9 record. All QBs we have taken make us wish for the good old days with Cutler. We are middle of the pack and never have enough bullets to go get one of the top QBs in any class.

Meanwhile, Trubs has become the Browns franchise QB. Along with Garrett, he has brought the Browns to respectability.

What would you give for Trubs now?

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
If he is as good as Sproles, he will be the steal of the draft.

( ) As good as Spoles.

Also, the idea that MT isn't X bc he couldn't beat out Y 3 yrs ago at UNC is sort of nonsensical. The systems/games are different, and often times when a guy is installed he is getting 90 percent of the reps, so it's very hard to unseat him unless he is playing badly or gets injured. There is a lot of inertia to QB decisions in certain circumstances.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My exact words were,"A Kellen Davis clone, with more upside at TE"
meaning I compared him to Davis due to similar physical traits... huge and muscular... but I think he has more skill than Kelln ever did. I actually like the guy and he was my TE option after Evan Engram.

Another day of soaking in the other players... and I'll admit.... researching players who was off the radar and I never considered... they may not be as bad as I initially thought. He did address the top three positions I thought the team needed to do.

Davis could block but not catch. Shaheen can catch, but is not considered a good blocker. So, NO, not a clone at all.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bill Belichik's top pick this draft, was from a small school. He got credit for "a hidden gem".

Pace got criticized for drafting kids from small schools. One from the same school as a NFL Hall of Famer, BTW.

Why does school size matter?

Does it mean there may be a question whether a player can play against better competition? Yes, and that's a fair assessment to make.

Does it mean a guy can't be an NFL player? No. But depending on what team drafts him, some writers assume he can't be.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Davis could block but not catch. Shaheen can catch, but is not considered a good blocker. So, NO, not a clone at all.
Actually it was just the opposite with him... he could catch fairly well.... his first few catches n the NFL were all redzone for TDs....... he had to work on blocking it took him a few years just to become an average blocker. But he eventually became expendable.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually it was just the opposite with him... he could catch fairly well.... his first few catches n the NFL were all redzone for TDs....... he had to work on blocking it took him a few years just to become an average blocker. But he eventually became expendable.

one of the knocks on Davis coming out of college was dropsies and when he did catch he was not a hand catcher....one of the best things about Shaheen is his sticky hands......they are very different receivers.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Imagine the opposite scenario: the Bears stay at 3, Trubs is drafted by the Browns, the Bears get Adams. The players they got at 3, 4 and 3 (2018) are all starters though nothing special.

Adams is everything that we hoped he would be. He is the alpha leader of a top 10 defense. Yet the team is averaging a 7-9 record. All QBs we have taken make us wish for the good old days with Cutler. We are middle of the pack and never have enough bullets to go get one of the top QBs in any class.

Meanwhile, Trubs has become the Browns franchise QB. Along with Garrett, he has brought the Browns to respectability.

What would you give for Trubs now?
Here's the thing... the Bears has shown with a good defense and average QB play... they can make the play offs.. even make it to the Superbowl. Their biggest issue in recent years were not only inconsistent QB play... but a bad defense... and no depth. Letting Trubs go to whomever (and I doubt it would have been the Browns because the 49ers really didnt want to move down so far and not get thier guy)... the Bears still could have gotten Watson, Kizer or Peterman..... the former two are just as likely to be great in this league as Trub.

The team with Trub in 3 years could be good...
The team with Watson/Kizer and Adams on defense, could be even better.

Its all speculation... we don't know who will turn good or who will bust. Trub just really scares me as a fan. Just feel that the team could have still taken a stab at QB... but taken a better stab at a couple other positions as well. The team has many holes to fill.... we may have filled a couple besides QB... but from a fan POV we would have rather seen a few more names we feel are sure too be NFL studs associated with the Bears after the draft.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As good as Sproles overall, including his returns?

Cohen has no return experience.

Sproles is a very good offensive weapon. Hopefully Cohen can approach how good Sproles is. But if you watch Sproles, he has very powerful legs and for his size, can run through tackles. Don't know if Cohen can do that. We will see.