Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
A lot of fans, including myself, initially wanted the Bears to take a fly on QB this year and wait until next year to draft a QB from an arguably stronger class. In a sense, drafting Trubisky is drafting a QB from that class. Had he went back to school... had a progressively better year as most would have expected... he would have been one of the top two or three QBs next year as well. With less issues about deserving of a high draft position. So when I look at him like that I can see what the Bears may have ultimately seen in him to want to be the first of three QB starved teams to over draft for QB this year.

But lets look at the draft as a whole...
- A potential franchise QB
- A Kellen Davis clone, with more upside at TE
- Another mid to late round DB or damaged goods... call him as you may
- Wolfe 2.0
- And a player I'm sure will play solid in the 4rth quarter of a preseason game or two

This draft has the potential to be one of the greatest of all time or will go down as one of the worst draft ever by the Bears.

After the Bears ended up with a worst than expected injury ridden season... they picked #3. Contrary to the more pessimistic view, the Bears are a young team with some talent and a few players who have shown the spark of being special. This was the type of draft a team like the Bears should have been able to make some significant strides towards improvement with. Instead, the team made no real improvements through the draft, there are no players ready to come in and contribute to the team. Everything now hinges on one player at the most important position the Bears went all in for... and that player needs to develop into an 'elite' franchise QB. Developing into a 'good' or 'solid' QB will not be enough considering what the Bears left on the table while drafting him.

Many fans and critics of the team wanted the team to make a move towards getting a potential franchise QB. Who that player should have been and what round he should have been drafted in varied.
- Some fans feel the team should have stayed pat and would have still gotten Trub.. 49ers played us... we blinked.
- Other fans felt let some one jump and take Trub... they wanted Watson, another potential franchise QB, and the team could have kept their picks and draft positions in all the later rounds.
- A few more fans (myself included), wanted an impact player at another position, like Adams... and still the team could have taken Kizer(a potential franchise QB) after he slid out of the first round (which i did predict :yep: ) or Peterman, late who some critics maintain will surprise and be one of the better QBs from this class.

There were many other routes including trading down which would have ended up with the Bears not only having a solid QB... but even more quality prospects and potential starters at other positions. Some will say that all we gave up were mid rounders and such... but these same people are ignorant to the fact that not only did we give up the mid rounders but in trying to recoup picks, we also gave up our favorable picks in every round. Teams need a solid QB... teams need a solid defense... teams also need depth so that they don't lose much in the wake of injury. Those picks we lost eat away at the potential depth of the team... which it has little.. i.e 3-13

Bottom line this draft will make or break the current management. Looking around the media.. the league is not looking at the Bears in a positive light with this draft. So it goes more than just the opinion of a few fans. It was a daring move to make to get Trubisky, but it turned out to be a 'all in' sort of move where as the team lost its position and leverage in every round afterwards and in part because of.

Come 2020.... If Trub turns out to be an 'elite' franchise QB... and the Bears are contender in the playoffs... no one will question any of the moves made to get him.

But if he turns out to be only 'good' or 'solid', giving the team not much more than Glennon and the team is still not a lock for the playoffs.... it will be looked back as a bad move. If the Texans(Watson), Browns(Kizer) and/or Bills(Peterman) are contenders being led through the playoffs by QBs each having been tied to the Bears... it will be looked back as a bad move... and why? Because any of them could have been had while keeping the teams favorable other picks in every round and them being used on higher quality players instead of players with slim to no chance of making a NFL roster.

I hope as I'm sure most fans do as well, that he indeed is the elite 'franchise' QB the Bears have been starving for since forever. Otherwise we may be switching places with the Browns as perennial top five drafters. They had an awesome draft... and have the potential for an awesome one next year as well.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of fans, including myself, initially wanted the Bears to take a fly on QB this year and wait until next year to draft a QB from an arguably stronger class. In a sense, drafting Trubisky is drafting a QB from that class. Had he went back to school... had a progressively better year as most would have expected... he would have been one of the top two or three QBs next year as well. With less issues about deserving of a high draft position. So when I look at him like that I can see what the Bears may have ultimately seen in him to want to be the first of three QB starved teams to over draft for QB this year.

But lets look at the draft as a whole...
- A potential franchise QB
- A Kellen Davis clone, with more upside at TE
- Another mid to late round DB or damaged goods... call him as you may
- Wolfe 2.0
- And a player I'm sure will play solid in the 4rth quarter of a preseason game or two

This draft has the potential to be one of the greatest of all time or will go down as one of the worst draft ever by the Bears.

After the Bears ended up with a worst than expected injury ridden season... they picked #3. Contrary to the more pessimistic view, the Bears are a young team with some talent and a few players who have shown the spark of being special. This was the type of draft a team like the Bears should have been able to make some significant strides towards improvement with. Instead, the team made no real improvements through the draft, there are no players ready to come in and contribute to the team. Everything now hinges on one player at the most important position the Bears went all in for... and that player needs to develop into an 'elite' franchise QB. Developing into a 'good' or 'solid' QB will not be enough considering what the Bears left on the table while drafting him.

Many fans and critics of the team wanted the team to make a move towards getting a potential franchise QB. Who that player should have been and what round he should have been drafted in varied.
- Some fans feel the team should have stayed pat and would have still gotten Trub.. 49ers played us... we blinked.
- Other fans felt let some one jump and take Trub... they wanted Watson, another potential franchise QB, and the team could have kept their picks and draft positions in all the later rounds.
- A few more fans (myself included), wanted an impact player at another position, like Adams... and still the team could have taken Kizer(a potential franchise QB) after he slid out of the first round (which i did predict :yep: ) or Peterman, late who some critics maintain will surprise and be one of the better QBs from this class.

There were many other routes including trading down which would have ended up with the Bears not only having a solid QB... but even more quality prospects and potential starters at other positions. Some will say that all we gave up were mid rounders and such... but these same people are ignorant to the fact that not only did we give up the mid rounders but in trying to recoup picks, we also gave up our favorable picks in every round. Teams need a solid QB... teams need a solid defense... teams also need depth so that they don't lose much in the wake of injury. Those picks we lost eat away at the potential depth of the team... which it has little.. i.e 3-13

Bottom line this draft will make or break the current management. Looking around the media.. the league is not looking at the Bears in a positive light with this draft. So it goes more than just the opinion of a few fans. It was a daring move to make to get Trubisky, but it turned out to be a 'all in' sort of move where as the team lost its position and leverage in every round afterwards and in part because of.

Come 2020.... If Trub turns out to be an 'elite' franchise QB... and the Bears are contender in the playoffs... no one will question any of the moves made to get him.

But if he turns out to be only 'good' or 'solid', giving the team not much more than Glennon and the team is still not a lock for the playoffs.... it will be looked back as a bad move. If the Texans(Watson), Browns(Kizer) and/or Bills(Peterman) are contenders being led through the playoffs by QBs each having been tied to the Bears... it will be looked back as a bad move... and why? Because any of them could have been had while keeping the teams favorable other picks in every round and them being used on higher quality players instead of players with slim to no chance of making a NFL roster.

I hope as I'm sure most fans do as well, that he indeed is the elite 'franchise' QB the Bears have been starving for since forever. Otherwise we may be switching places with the Browns as perennial top five drafters. They had an awesome draft... and have the potential for an awesome one next year as well.

This is a great post. Good job!

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
So many negative bitches here wishing they were actual sports journalists. Where da fuck is Biffs outrageous take?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Heard some sports guy say he was told the Bears were taking a QB but he wouldn't believe it because they paid Glennon so much. Yet most of CSS figured the contract was set up to take a QB if they wanted.
I think that is why the media isn't looking at the Bears in a positive light with the move, they were shown to be the fools they are. They make money making predictions and the Bears got one over on them.
The local media just likes to stir up crap and bitch about everything.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
So many negative bitches here wishing they were actual sports journalists. Where da fuck is Biffs outrageous take?

Sooo, it's not ok to be a negative bitch, but is ok to be a positive-rationalizing bitch?

I am personally Not a fan of suppressing opinions that may run contrary to the hopes and wishes of others.

There is only one unassailable assessment: big gamble, loads of risk. We needed to significantly ramp up the risk profile and we did.

It's not how I would have gone about it, but my job and future are not at risk like Pace, good luck to him.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Sooo, it's not ok to be a negative bitch, but is ok to be a positive-rationalizing bitch?

I am personally Not a fan of suppressing opinions that may run contrary to the hopes and wishes of others.

There is only one unassailable assessment: big gamble, loads of risk. We needed to significantly ramp up the risk profile and we did.

It's not how I would have gone about it, but my job and future are not at risk like Pace, good luck to him.

Every time I wanna make a point, you make it better than I would have...

In the politics...

In the football...

In the....

Ok, you know what movie i'm getting this from, right?

hqdefault.jpg

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Heard some sports guy say he was told the Bears were taking a QB but he wouldn't believe it because they paid Glennon so much. Yet most of CSS figured the contract was set up to take a QB if they wanted.
I think that is why the media isn't looking at the Bears in a positive light with the move, they were shown to be the fools they are. They make money making predictions and the Bears got one over on them.
The local media just likes to stir up crap and bitch about everything.

It shouldn't have been that much of a stretch that the Bears would draft a QB you'd think considering they really didn't have it fixed by any means with Glennon and Sanchez, but obviously they thought we'd be rolling with those two for at least one year before considering other options. The term "franchise QB" certainly doesn't apply to Glennon or Sanchez. Sanchez is a career backup journeyman. Glennon will get his opportunities especially if he performs well this year, but I doubt he'll be anything more than average at best. I can see the Bears drafting a midround QB in next year's draft to backup Trubisky, if they cut ties with Glennon after this season. Just can't see the Bears paying a backup starter money, and I can't see Trubisky sitting for more than one year.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
It shouldn't have been that much of a stretch that the Bears would draft a QB you'd think considering they really didn't have it fixed by any means with Glennon and Sanchez, but obviously they thought we'd be rolling with those two for at least one year before considering other options. The term "franchise QB" certainly doesn't apply to Glennon or Sanchez. Sanchez is a career backup journeyman. Glennon will get his opportunities especially if he performs well this year, but I doubt he'll be anything more than average at best. I can see the Bears drafting a midround QB in next year's draft to backup Trubisky, if they cut ties with Glennon after this season. Just can't see the Bears paying a backup starter money, and I can't see Trubisky sitting for more than one year.

I think most of the national sports media needs to be fired. They've let their biases blind them.
That would be a dream come true if they drafted a QB next year (if the hype of a deep class is true). Then I would really know they were serious. Never stop looking.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The fact that The Hawk thought this was a great post gives me a good indication that I do not need to read this.

Did that novella include arguments based on Madden player ratings? We all know that's a sure-fire way to get The Cawk all moist and tingly.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
The OP can basically be boiled down to Trubisky needs to be a franchise QB or this draft will be a disaster. No-one disagrees with that, Pace has gone all in.

In that respect it is essentially the same as all the drafts that have gone before where a club has picked a young QB in the first round. It doesn't matter how good Wendell Smallwood becomes or how bad the rest of that Eagles 2016 draft class is, it's all about Wentz. Same applies to the Texans and Watson. Same applies to Goff and the Rams.

Looks at the Titans 2015 draft class. Mariota is a stud. Their second round WR looks pretty bad and is no longer there. The third round tackle they drafted to protect Mariota was awful and is now playing guard for the Jags. In the fourth round they selected a full back (!), with 16 total yards production in two seasons. Their fifth round RB is now on our practice squad! Their sixth round pick missed his entire rookie season to injury and is now with the Colts.

That draft was a disaster apart from the Mariota pick. But no-one cares because they have a franchise QB and the club is transformed because of that. Free agents want to play there. Their GM gets heaps of praise from everyone.

If Trubisky pans out and the other four guys are all terrible, Pace is the GM for another five years plus. If he doesn't, he gets fired. The end.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you lost me at Kellen Davis clone.....

The rest was OK but he's nothing like Davis. Great set of mitts and very coordinated.

Liked Posts:
I like Shaheen a lot but the level of football could be tough for him. He reminds me of a faster Kyle Rudolph / very poor mans Gronk

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
you lost me at Kellen Davis clone.....

Same with the Wolfe comparison. Wolfe was not a burner like Cohen.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Shaheen a lot but the level of football could be tough for him. He reminds me of a faster Kyle Rudolph / very poor mans Gronk

a handicap gronk would improve this team and be better than half the other TEs out there

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nor had the shake. Wolfe was like a little full back.