2021-2022 Around the NBA Thread

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Yup, which is probably why he got left off.. But he was pretty damn good in his Orlando days.

Yeah but you just cant take off nearly a whole decade lol .

Im not surprised he was left off he came in played great until he was 28 years old and then fell off the earth and then reappeared at age 35 to jump on lebrons coattails for a ring and then people are like give him his flowers ?

How about respect the game and dont try and cheat the game ? There are far too many people who are out here talking these guys who basically screwed around for quite some time and now suddenly care about how they will be remembered .

This is why the Kyrie argument is ridiculous he has NEVER played a full NBA season!!! just give me any damn guard on the top 75 list and let them miss 10-20 games per year while everyone else is out there for the full 82 and watch how the would be tearing the league a new one too. When you start comparing the greats availability is important too.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Our boy Derrick shining in New York. I kinda hate that MSG crowd, Spike Lee and all those annoying chumps. But whatever, show them what a good time looks like D.Rose

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really don't believe Dennis Rodman deserved to be on the top 75 list. A huge fan of his, but he might be getting overrated as time goes on. I think his popularity is coming into play here. You're talking about thousands of guys over the past 3/4 century. There's no shame in being a top 125-150 player. Rebounding he's top 3-5 in NBA history and as an overall defensive player, he's probably in the top 20. But offensively (which is easily the most important category) he's well below average for an NBA player. I'm not sure if he's in the top 3,000 for offensive players.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not suggesting Nash wasn't a great player. I am suggesting that he isn't a top 75 player of all-time, two MVPs be damned. In the same way you say 75 years is a lot of competition to keep Kyrie off the list, is the same thing I would argue for Nash to not be included on that list.
I'd take Nash over Irving, easily. Nash is a better passer and shooter. He's played more games per season and proved that he can lead a team to a winning record.

Gary Payton is arguably better than Chris Paul. He is probably the best two-way PG of all-time. It's ridiculous to compare him to Kyrie Irving.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also: Klay Thompson should have been on the list.

I've seen quite a few people say this, but I couldn't disagree more.

Klay is an elite shooter, but everything else after that is either good, average, or below average.

From a statistically standpoint:
He is 80th all-time when it comes to PPG. >250 players rank above him in RPG, APG, SPG, and BPG. In the advanced stats category, >250 players rank above him in PER, win shares, offensive rating, defensive rating, and others.

Honestly, I think even the ranking he got (77th) was generous.

I am surprised to see that you would think Klay should be top 75 but not Nash.

IMO, Nash was a lot more skilled and contributed to his team's success much more than Klay. Nash also blows Klay out of the water with the advanced stats.

I don't think advanced stats tell the whole story, but when>250 players in the history of the game rank above you in almost all of them (or at least the most important ones), I think that means something.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the bigger snub is Dwight Howard.

This... I agree with.

I think people really forgot how dominant he was with Orlando.

Recency bias is definitely evident with this list in some ways.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Im not surprised he was left off he came in played great until he was 28 years old and then fell off the earth and then reappeared at age 35 to jump on lebrons coattails for a ring and then people are like give him his flowers ?
I certainly see your point, but I'm just saying his 8 year stretch on paper is pretty good. At the time, Dwight was considered a superstar and one of the best players in the league. He's more of a snub than Kyrie.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

How about respect the game and dont try and cheat the game ? There are far too many people who are out here talking these guys who basically screwed around for quite some time and now suddenly care about how they will be remembered .

In Howard's defense, he didn't decline suddenly because of work ethic, etc. He had at least 2 back surgeries I believe for spinal issues. After that first surgery, he just wasn't the same player anymore.

Poor health deteriorated his career, which I don't think can be pinned on his talent.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He also lost 1.5" of height after the spinal surgery as well.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Can’t blame harden for taking advantage of how the game has been officiated. But if they are truly going to stick to not giving those calls now, he becomes nowhere near as effective of a player

Reactions: BNB

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lakers are comical right now. They cant play D and the cant space the floor at all. Its like a 2006 all star game every night.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can’t blame harden for taking advantage of how the game has been officiated. But if they are truly going to stick to not giving those calls now, he becomes nowhere near as effective of a player

Yup. Harden's offensive game is mostly 3s and drawing fouls to shoot free throws. If you take away those calls, as you said, then the defense just has to defend him at the 3pt line and he won't do much. Case in point... tonight. 12 of his 14 points were either 3s or free throws, but he only shot 3 free throws and was largely ineffective overall as a result.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lakers are comical right now. They cant play D and the cant space the floor at all. Its like a 2006 all star game every night.
I mean, lebron didn’t play and neither did like 4 other guys.

but yeah, anyone with sense could tell adding Westbrook to the mix wouldn’t help any

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, lebron didn’t play and neither did like 4 other guys.

but yeah, anyone with sense could tell adding Westbrook to the mix wouldn’t help any
You still shouldnt lose to OKC when you have Westbrook and AD while having like a 20 something point lead. lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You still shouldnt lose to OKC when you have Westbrook and AD while having like a 20 something point lead. lol
I agree with that. But Westbrook is overrated IMO. Yeah, he gets triple doubles, but typically doing it with a ton of turnovers and poor shooting