2021 Bear cap situation is a mess!

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
This is why Pace should be fired!

1) Only $31M in cap space
2) Top 6 players in salary cap are on defense - no wonder our offense stinks
3) No developmental QB (continuing theme here) + Foles could bolt (maybe a good thing anyway)
4) Jimmy Graham's cap number $10M
5) No number 1 receiver under contract (Only Anthony Miller, Riley Ridley, and Javon Wims under contract
6) Still stuck with Leno and Massie bad contracts that count over $20M in cap in 2021
7) Only overpriced contract I see to free up cap space is Akiem Hicks

I don't really want Pace making our next QB selection when the guy obviously doesn't know QB talent. When you give Mike Glennon $18M a year and draft Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson that says it all.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
There's nothing wrong with investing in defense if your defense is tops in the league. Graham is only $1mil guaranteed next yr so unless he balls out he will be cut. I'm predicting the bears will need to ship Roquan Smith for a 1st rd pick after this upcoming season similar to the 49rs shipping deforest buckner.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
There's nothing wrong with investing in defense if your defense is tops in the league. Graham is only $1mil guaranteed next yr so unless he balls out he will be cut. I'm predicting the bears will need to ship Roquan Smith for a 1st rd pick after this upcoming season similar to the 49rs shipping deforest buckner.

very random idea about trading Smith, and it will make zero sense if he has an all pro season.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
All the players you mentioned could be cut or restructured to free up space. No way both Leno and Massie are playing at their current projected contract. One will likely get cut. Probably Massie.

If Graham justifies a 10 mil payday it meant he had a really good year. Otherwise, its restructure or cut.

Kyle Fuller is scheduled to make 20 mil also. Doubt that happens. Either restructure or look to trade with a team that could rework his contract and extend him. (Personally, I think Fuller gives the Bears a hometown discount as he knows his style benefits from our pass rush)

And this is just from the top of my head. I'm sure there are more ways to create space

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All the players you mentioned could be cut or restructured to free up space. No way both Leno and Massie are playing at their current projected contract. One will likely get cut. Probably Massie.

If Graham justifies a 10 mil payday it meant he had a really good year. Otherwise, its restructure or cut.

Kyle Fuller is scheduled to make 20 mil also. Doubt that happens. Either restructure or look to trade with a team that could rework his contract and extend him. (Personally, I think Fuller gives the Bears a hometown discount as he knows his style benefits from our pass rush)

And this is just from the top of my head. I'm sure there are more ways to create space

Massie, Leno, Graham collectively would be 12 mil in dead cap. You then have to replace them, so as far as cap go's this would actually end up costing you money (possible exception of Graham).

Trading Fuller would cost you 9 mil in dead cap, only to save you 11 mil. Have fun trying to replace him for 11 mil.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Cost of replacements might be cheaper for better players given that the salary cap likely is to decline in the face of no revenue for the league. Players will have to readjust their salary expectations.

Nonetheless, Graham's replacement is already on the roster in Kmet. Graham serves as the mentor for a season so his replacement cost is pennies. Pace has basically pinned himself in a corner in drafting an OT with the next first round pick. Replacement cost for Massie is inexpensive. Fuller is a good candidate for a restructure.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Although I agree with you 2021 is also a capless year. There are restrictions around how much teams can dump, but I'm confident almost all teams have a plan to use max flexibility to create more cap space.

I know the Eagles look like they are fucked. They are currently on track to be $50.5MM OVER the estimated cap. I'm not saying that's good, but I think Howie Roseman has a plan. He's always been good when it comes to the cap and history suggests he wouldn't be in this spot without being able to make some moves.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

3) No developmental QB (continuing theme here) + Foles could bolt (maybe a good thing anyway)
5) No number 1 receiver under contract (Only Anthony Miller, Riley Ridley, and Javon Wims under contract
6) Still stuck with Leno and Massie bad contracts that count over $20M in cap in 2021

I don't really want Pace making our next QB selection when the guy obviously doesn't know QB talent. When you give Mike Glennon $18M a year and draft Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson that says it all.

If Trubisky put up Stafford numbers, they wouldn't have had the cap space to pay him. So, Foles being average for 4 years may solve this problem. It's not as bad as you would think. Pace made three horrible decisions 1) Trubisky 2) Shaheen 3) Burton. All happened at the same time. All at critical parts for Nagy's offense. His remaining decisions weren't that bad. This is the year where he puts a bandaid on that awful cluster of bad decisions. If the bandaid helps him limp along, we will have decent football. If not, then the house of cards tumbles.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cost of replacements might be cheaper for better players given that the salary cap likely is to decline in the face of no revenue for the league. Players will have to readjust their salary expectations.

Nonetheless, Graham's replacement is already on the roster in Kmet. Graham serves as the mentor for a season so his replacement cost is pennies. Pace has basically pinned himself in a corner in drafting an OT with the next first round pick. Replacement cost for Massie is inexpensive. Fuller is a good candidate for a restructure.

Same was being said about Shaheen prior to him taking his first snap. Might want to revisit how that played out.

Your statement about replacing Massie is wrong. good-very good right tackles run 8-12 mil a year. Massie is slated to make 7.7 mil with a dead cap number of 3.9 mil. That means You have to sign a new right tackle for 5.4 mil to break even, less before you get any cap savings.

As for drafting a LT in the first round, that would depend on how they feel about there QB situation, don't you think?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

You should be strapped into a rocket and shot into outer space at a black hole for saying Akiem Hicks is overpriced. That guy when healthy raises the defense from top 10 - 15 to top 5.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
$31M, am I wrong in saying that is an improvement over last year?

msadows

Liked Posts:
To be fair....most teams with talented rosters lack cap space.

And yes, this is a talented roster

We all knew this would happen. It's why this city needed mitch to succeed. Their window is pretty much closed if they don't compete this year or next.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Their window is pretty much closed if they don't compete this year or next.

Yep. It would be a huge blow for the Bears after making Eddie Jackson a rich man and signing Quinn in the offseason for the team to finish out of the playoffs. It would be the end of Pace and the new GM coming in is going to have a lot of guaranteed cap dollars and little wiggle room for a quick fix.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Although I agree with you 2021 is also a capless year. There are restrictions around how much teams can dump, but I'm confident almost all teams have a plan to use max flexibility to create more cap space.

I know the Eagles look like they are fucked. They are currently on track to be $50.5MM OVER the estimated cap. I'm not saying that's good, but I think Howie Roseman has a plan. He's always been good when it comes to the cap and history suggests he wouldn't be in this spot without being able to make some moves.

What do you mean that 2021` is a capless year? It most certainly is not.

Akeem Hicks is the most likely cap casualty. hell, if the Bears get off to a rough start, look for them to trade him mid-season for a 3rd round pick.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
as of right now, noone knows how the cap will restructure, will they spread the decline over multiple years or just take a massive decrease for 2021? whichever option they choose the market rate will also decline and reset. Players at their position will not get the kinda money thats being thrown around right now. I'd be curious to see what mahomes/watson get in their deals...i'd be shocked if they get the kinda money players were getting pre-covid.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yep. It would be a huge blow for the Bears after making Eddie Jackson a rich man and signing Quinn in the offseason for the team to finish out of the playoffs. It would be the end of Pace and the new GM coming in is going to have a lot of guaranteed cap dollars and little wiggle room for a quick fix.

Best part is you'll probably have chicago hire a new GM late into the process and the guy will be stuck using Pace's old scouts intel to draft a potential first round QB!

And so the cycle continues.

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
I agree Hicks is a stud, but if you look at the contract he is the only player you could realistically drop to gain alot of cap space
You should be strapped into a rocket and shot into outer space at a black hole for saying Akiem Hicks is overpriced. That guy when healthy raises the defense from top 10 - 15 to top 5.

I agree Hicks is a stud, but if you look at the contract he is the only player you could realistically drop to gain alot of cap space

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

Id rather someone fly a single engine plane into my face and survive, than get rid of hicks.

Dont do that to me... just dont... I've taken enoygh abuse...