2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It’s in accurate to say the Cubs tore it down in 24 hours it was three years in the making. They may have finalized it all in a 24 hour. But to compare them tearing it down in 24 hours to the Marlins who did it immediately after winning the World Series is simply not a valid comparison. What the Cubs did Friday should’ve been done two years ago.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It’s in accurate to say the Cubs tore it down in 24 hours it was three years in the making. They may have finalized it all in a 24 hour. But to compare them tearing it down in 24 hours to the Marlins who did it immediately after winning the World Series is simply not a valid comparison. What the Cubs did Friday should’ve been done two years ago.
I wish everyone could realize this. If Theo would have done this 2 years ago or whenever he said they were broken and needed to make changes the return on the players likely would have been astronomical as well. The Cubs in fact made the same mistake as the fans by being to emotionally attached to these players and hanging on too long when everyone could see it wasn't working.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I wish everyone could realize this. If Theo would have done this 2 years ago or whenever he said they were broken and needed to make changes the return on the players likely would have been astronomical as well. The Cubs in fact made the same mistake as the fans by being to emotionally attached to these players and hanging on too long when everyone could see it wasn't working.
And I was one who wanted to keep it going and add to it. So I am not claiming I was pushing for them to break it up in 2019.

Maybe after leaving that late September series against a bad st louis team that won the central, but not before.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
From the sort of backlash the Ricketts and FO are receiving from the fan base after the deadline I think they might have to spend money this offseason.

I would target Conforto, Corey Seager, and Freeman, then a big arm like Syndergaard, Scherzer or Gausman. I have no idea what kind of contract any of those pitchers will command based off injuries or age.

Lineup
SS - Hoerner
2B - Madrigal
1B - Freeman
CF - Davis
LF - Conforto
3B - Seager
C - Contreras
RF - Heyward/Deitchmann
P - Hendricks/Marquez/Scherzer/Steele/Kilian
Sign a closer like Familia and then dumpster dive a BP together with minors and scrap heap guys.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
From the sort of backlash the Ricketts and FO are receiving from the fan base after the deadline I think they might have to spend money this offseason.

I would target Conforto, Corey Seager, and Freeman, then a big arm like Syndergaard, Scherzer or Gausman. I have no idea what kind of contract any of those pitchers will command based off injuries or age.

Lineup
SS - Hoerner
2B - Madrigal
1B - Freeman
CF - Davis
LF - Conforto
3B - Seager
C - Contreras
RF - Heyward/Deitchmann
P - Hendricks/Marquez/Scherzer/Steele/Kilian
Sign a closer like Familia and then dumpster dive a BP together with minors and scrap heap guys.
If you really think the Cubs are going to go out and get Seger and Freeman and Scherzer in the off-season I can tell you you are setting yourself up for a massive disappointment. I think it would be a surprise if they pursued any of them

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
If you really think the Cubs are going to go out and get Seger and Freeman and Scherzer in the off-season I can tell you you are setting yourself up for a massive disappointment. I think it would be a surprise if they pursued any of them
Yeah I doubt it. Just talking really. With the money they have they could though. I have no idea what to expect from them this offseason. I think they'd like a tank year to continue building the farm system but with all the cap space and the anger of the fans at trading these guys idk. I know people hate Ricketts and think he doesn't care about the team, but he's actually shown the complete opposite since buying the team outside of this year

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah I doubt it. Just talking really. With the money they have they could though. I have no idea what to expect from them this offseason. I think they'd like a tank year to continue building the farm system but with all the cap space and the anger of the fans at trading these guys idk. I know people hate Ricketts and think he doesn't care about the team, but he's actually shown the complete opposite since buying the team outside of this year
I wouldn't be looking to sign a SS to a long term big dollar contract.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
That's why I like seager. I figure his injury history might end up in a shorter contract than some other guys. I also would move him to 3rd and maybe 1st down the line a bit

dchawks59

Liked Posts:
Off topic some, however, Rizz is doing a great job so far with NYY. If I were them I would offer him a new contract for 4 years $100M (2nd highest paid 1st baseman, he deserves the raise). The guy will solidify NY 1st base defensively, add power (short RF fence) and give them stability they have not had for some time. Not sure if Cubs will want to offer him as the "sense" I get is none of these Cubs starters are going to be primary targets in the offseason; may be wrong but believe Hoyer and Cubs are heading a different direction.

Bust

Liked Posts:
WOW! High praise for the cub front office!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I thought the Cubs did pretty well. Think they should've got more for Bryant, but whatevs. I don't understand the people upset at this. This team has underperformed for years now. The biggest problem is they took too long to blow it up and got little in return for Darvish, Schwarber, & Bryant.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I thought the Cubs did pretty well. Think they should've got more for Bryant, but whatevs. I don't understand the people upset at this. This team has underperformed for years now. The biggest problem is they took too long to blow it up and got little in return for Darvish, Schwarber, & Bryant.
Yeah I get people like these players, but it shows most people are more of casual fans that don't know what's actually happening and would rather just fan boy a few players. That's how teams fail

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Holly crap. Have a game Ortega.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs might as well run Ortega and Romine out there every day. Both are lit. Wisdom is fine also. Rest of the hold overs are cancer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be pointless. They have a starting quality SS in hand. Jed showed his hand by trading for a 2B to move Nico there.

3B is more of a concern. The market blows at 3B and 1B. I doubt signing Freeman is smart. Signing Castallanos and giving him 1B and moving Wisdom back to 3B makes sense. Not to mention Nick is a hitter that you build around. Wisdom is a poor man's core hitter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol I just looked and saw his day too. Maybe we will find a diamond in the rough with this situation

I'm going to nickname him Omega now.

That is why I was leaning towards Davis in RF when he promotes. This dude has been a firecracker and TBH is only 30. He is a great option until Crow gets up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I was unhappy to see them release Schwarber, and livid at the return tehy got for Darvish and Caratini. But I have no real complaints at the trade deadline.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rizzo has two HR for Yankees so far, and Javy has one for the Mets. But Rafael Ortega has more than both combined since the deadline, so...WIN ?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It would be pointless. They have a starting quality SS in hand. Jed showed his hand by trading for a 2B to move Nico there.

3B is more of a concern. The market blows at 3B and 1B. I doubt signing Freeman is smart. Signing Castallanos and giving him 1B and moving Wisdom back to 3B makes sense. Not to mention Nick is a hitter that you build around. Wisdom is a poor man's core hitter.
Does Nico have the arm strength for everyday SS?

What are your thoughts on Corey Seager at 3B or 1B? I assume injury history will affect his contract some. Freeman has been incredible all around. I'd take him for 5 years in a heartbeat