2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm going to nickname him Omega now.

That is why I was leaning towards Davis in RF when he promotes. This dude has been a firecracker and TBH is only 30. He is a great option until Crow gets up.
"only 30".

The guy came up in 2012, and disappeared for two plus years. Came back up, and again was sent down for over a year. He had 2 career HR's 24 hours ago!

Are you familiar with the name Tuffy Rhodes?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
"only 30".

The guy came up in 2012, and disappeared for two plus years. Came back up, and again was sent down for over a year. He had 2 career HR's 24 hours ago!

Are you familiar with the name Tuffy Rhodes?

I didn't realize he was 30. I've never heard of him before this year

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bryant makes it the hat trick for the core hitting a homerun in the first game of new team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I doubt it will be a rebuild.

I see it as freed up resources. I expect the team to be at 180M next season.

Castellanos will most likely opt out from his deal and he would be my #1 target. It is a strong move for Jed and the fan base. Nick loved his time here and it makes sense to build around a hitter like that.

After they need a left handed bat to balance Nick and Wilson. I would target Confronto. Anthony is a few years older and a fan friendly move but it would be smarter to target a younger hitter.

After that they have a 3B/1B decision to make. Wisdom and Bote. They should also have Deichmann up. With these guys David can mix and match to push out a everyday line up.

Heyward Jed needs to get balls and eat that deal.

Happ trade while he has any return value left.

So right now the team is gutted but that opens up payroll. Steel and Thompson should end up taking the 4 and 5. Sign a TOR amd let the farm deal with the rest. Move Adbert to set up. Lefties are killing him and he can not adjust. That is not what you hang on your hook on for 6 innings. For a high leverage inning sure.
It could happen, but these prospects who actually make it to the Bigs are mostly going to be ready in 2-3 years. I supposed they could start spending this off-season, especially if they can find some great deals for longer term control, but I would venture to guess they will wait until they know what they have in the farm system.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It could happen, but these prospects who actually make it to the Bigs are mostly going to be ready in 2-3 years. I supposed they could start spending this off-season, especially if they can find some great deals for longer term control, but I would venture to guess they will wait until they know what they have in the farm system.

I would gauge it on Crow as the 2nd wave. Most likely he will make it to Tenn. Ortega is his place holder now.

Heyward has 2 years left. I can see Jed trying to flip him to a contender and eating contract if he has a strong season. Davis should be up next year at some point.

So my view point is for now fill in the dots. 1B and 3B there is system weakeness going on right now. You really want power at the corners and contact up the middle when building the team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And if a prospect is more glove first he belongs on the bench. It is pointless to add outs like that.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It’s in accurate to say the Cubs tore it down in 24 hours it was three years in the making. They may have finalized it all in a 24 hour. But to compare them tearing it down in 24 hours to the Marlins who did it immediately after winning the World Series is simply not a valid comparison. What the Cubs did Friday should’ve been done two years ago.
Yep. It was essentially done when they hired Ross. Covid shutdown essentially let the sale drag on another year, IMHO.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Up the middle Nico and Mad should be locks for a while. Hernandez and Howard are a bit of time away.

LF Jed should upgrade. Happ needs to go. Confronto is coming off a bad year so Jed might get him at a solid rate. He might even want a opt out to remarket himself after a rebound. This also works for the Cubs.

3B/1B is Bote and Wisdom now. This is a upgrade in wait with out a legit major prospect pending. Wisdom at 3B and targeting Castillanos makes the most sense.

So the extra talent lower in the system should vied as a 2nd wave. Not the main wave. Jed would have targeted sooner to the bigs if he was planning to launch right out of the farm system.

So there should be a process. 1st stage more so carry over prospects: Davis, Marquez, Killian then FA. 1 LH and 1 RH power bat. 1 TOR.

then just let time work out the rest. They really dont need to f/a to sell to be good. They need to not off load talent for rentals. Let the kids develop and draft smart as they have been doing the past few years. Time fixes the problems but you dont need to suck to win. LAD should be the role model. They pump out talent and spend and win.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Up the middle Nico and Mad should be locks for a while. Hernandez and Howard are a bit of time away.

LF Jed should upgrade. Happ needs to go. Confronto is coming off a bad year so Jed might get him at a solid rate. He might even want a opt out to remarket himself after a rebound. This also works for the Cubs.

3B/1B is Bote and Wisdom now. This is a upgrade in wait with out a legit major prospect pending. Wisdom at 3B and targeting Castillanos makes the most sense.

So the extra talent lower in the system should vied as a 2nd wave. Not the main wave. Jed would have targeted sooner to the bigs if he was planning to launch right out of the farm system.

So there should be a process. 1st stage more so carry over prospects: Davis, Marquez, Killian then FA. 1 LH and 1 RH power bat. 1 TOR.

then just let time work out the rest. They really dont need to f/a to sell to be good. They need to not off load talent for rentals. Let the kids develop and draft smart as they have been doing the past few years. Time fixes the problems but you dont need to suck to win. LAD should be the role model. They pump out talent and spend and win.
Not going to lie. I love the idea of Freeman and Conforto (hopefully he rebounds to his career norms). Freeman hitting 3rd behind hoerner and madrigal is a lot of opportunities and contact that we haven't seen in years.

Lineup by June next year
SS hoerner
2B Madrigal
1B Freeman
CF Davis
LF Conforto
C Contreras
3B Wisdom
RF Heyward

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not going to lie. I love the idea of Freeman and Conforto (hopefully he rebounds to his career norms). Freeman hitting 3rd behind hoerner and madrigal is a lot of opportunities and contact that we haven't seen in years.

Lineup by June next year
SS hoerner
2B Madrigal
1B Freeman
CF Davis
LF Conforto
C Contreras
3B Wisdom
RF Heyward

I was holding off on Fredrick. Nick I feel would come back for love. Freddy it would a highest bid.

So I dont see it to be honest. Would love it though.

I feel Nick would excell at 1B. He came up a 3B so it is not like he has never done it. Perfect most likely not. I see him as Wisdom with far more contact.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But I dont see 1B as a glove first position. It should be a bat first spot.

If Rizzo resigned and Castillanos to LF. I feel that would be a strong start. That has potential of happening.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I was holding off on Fredrick. Nick I feel would come back for love. Freddy it would a highest bid.

So I dont see it to be honest. Would love it though.

I feel Nick would excell at 1B. He came up a 3B so it is not like he has never done it. Perfect most likely not. I see him as Wisdom with far more contact.
I like the idea of good lefty bats with Freeman and Conforto too. Can never have enough LH bats

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol I just looked and saw his day too. Maybe we will find a diamond in the rough with this situation
I think they already have. Wisdom has a nice compact swing, a half way decent eye, can play in a few spots and is loaded with power. His swings reminds me of right handed version of Schwarber.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I think they already have. Wisdom has a nice compact swing, a half way decent eye, can play in a few spots and is loaded with power. His swings reminds me of right handed version of Schwarber.
He has to bring down his K% to sustain his success though. Isn't he around 40%?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But it depends.

My first target would be Rondon. Boras will pump his deal so I would expect 8/200 TBH.

2nd target is adding a core hitter.

Line up now

Ortega CF
Mad 2B
Happ LF
Contreras C
Wisdom 1B
Heyward RF
Bote 3B
Hoerner SS.

You want to replace both Bote and Happ.

Replacing both with LH bats balances the line up.

Ortega
Mad
Freeman
Contreras
Confronto
Wisdom
Heyward
Hoerner

So ya I could see it. Freddy push 6/150 and Confronto 8/160

I wouldnt go higher with them. The main dump should be Rondon. He makes the Cubs a division contender with youth filtering in.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
But it depends.

My first target would be Rondon. Boras will pump his deal so I would expect 8/200 TBH.

2nd target is adding a core hitter.

Line up now

Ortega CF
Mad 2B
Happ LF
Contreras C
Wisdom 1B
Heyward RF
Bote 3B
Hoerner SS.

You want to replace both Bote and Happ.

Replacing both with LH bats balances the line up.

Ortega
Mad
Freeman
Contreras
Confronto
Wisdom
Heyward
Hoerner

So ya I could see it. Freddy push 6/150 and Confronto 8/160

I wouldnt go higher with them. The main dump should be Rondon. He makes the Cubs a division contender with youth filtering in.
The more I read about Kilian the more excited I am about him too. As far as stuff, he seems pretty much MLB ready. I think he can make an impact next year. If he and Marquez could hit the MLB next season, that'd be big