2022-23 NBA Season THREAD (2023 Playoffs Talk)

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sacramento has clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2006, ending the longest playoff drought in the four major US sports right now. The New York Jets now hold that title (last made playoffs in 2010).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sacramento has clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2006, ending the longest playoff drought in the four major US sports right now. The New York Jets now hold that title (last made playoffs in 2010).
Good for them. Their reward shall be facing a team that has way more playoff experience than them (not a hard thing to say), but has underachieved the whole season. No easy matchups in the West though, so it is what it is

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good for them. Their reward shall be facing a team that has way more playoff experience than them (not a hard thing to say), but has underachieved the whole season. No easy matchups in the West though, so it is what it is
If the Warriors stay in 6th, the Warriors will be in the 2nd round. Sacramento is pretty even on the home/away record. GSW is amazing at home, and shitty on the road, but just seems like they'll be able to steal one in Sacramento, thus giving them home court advantage.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So now that season has ended, we have final rankings available.

First of note, this is the first 82 game season that has not resulted in a 60 win team since 2000-2001.

Only three teams have a Top 10 offense and defense this year.
Celtics - 2nd in O, 3rd in D
76ers - 4th in O, 9th in D
Cavs - 8th in D, 1st in D

No one in the Western Conference has both.

The Bucks sit two ranks outside of a Top 10 offense at 12th. They were 0.1 away from 10th as of last week, but never hit that mark. Obviously that have Giannis though.

Boston has the best marks in the league. I still have some doubts about Tatum, but we'll see how they do this year. Obviously they made the Finals last year so we know this is a good team.

The Cavs are likely a pretender in that those rankings will only take them to the 2nd round. I just imagine Giannis and the Bucks can trump the Cavs in the 2nd round. Could be a good series though.

The Sixers have Embiid, but they also have Doc Rivers. Doc Rivers hasn't left the 2nd round since his Boston days. So can they finally bust through? They're going to have a difficult 2nd round matchup with Boston.

The Nuggets have a good offense but bad defense, and lately teams have been exposing Jokic's poor defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team upset in the 2nd round.

The Grizzlies have an average offense and stellar defense, they can make a deep run with that. I even still believe this team can make a Finals run, though they struggled on the road this season. 16-25 road record, though wouldn't be the first team to make a Finals with such a road record, but those teams don't win it all.

The Suns obviously suffered injuries all year and are going to be at the mercy of Durant's health making them an interesting case. They finished 45-37, 15th in O, 7th in D, which would make them one of the worst Finals teams on record if they did manage to make it. However, no one could really doubt them if Durant stays healthy and playing at a high level. However, an injury riddled team doesn't exactly have a good history on making deep playoff runs.

The Warriors are another team no one wants to count out, but I have trouble trusting that road record at all. They did manage to pull out some more wins at the end of the season on the road to finish 11-30, but that's still just an awful road record and fail to see how it translate into a deep playoff run. I do think there is plenty there for the Warriors to defeated the newbies Kings in a 1st round upset, but I think it may end there.

The Lakers are the only play-in team that's of any threat, but I still don't think they get out of the 1st round. They are one of the hottest teams in the NBA to finish out the season, so they have that going for them. Assuming they win their first play-in game, I think the Grizzlies would just be too much for them. You also can't trust guys like Anthony Davis to really stay healthy. Could even say the same of LeBron right now. Either way, they are a threat, but how much of one remains to be seen.

The West has great potential to be chaotic for an NBA playoff, but we'll see what happens. The East is likely to be more stable. I also am expecting the eventual champion to come out of the East as well.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think we can all agree that a bullet was dodged by not trading for Rudy Gobert.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So now that season has ended, we have final rankings available.

First of note, this is the first 82 game season that has not resulted in a 60 win team since 2000-2001.

Only three teams have a Top 10 offense and defense this year.
Celtics - 2nd in O, 3rd in D
76ers - 4th in O, 9th in D
Cavs - 8th in D, 1st in D

No one in the Western Conference has both.

The Bucks sit two ranks outside of a Top 10 offense at 12th. They were 0.1 away from 10th as of last week, but never hit that mark. Obviously that have Giannis though.

Boston has the best marks in the league. I still have some doubts about Tatum, but we'll see how they do this year. Obviously they made the Finals last year so we know this is a good team.

The Cavs are likely a pretender in that those rankings will only take them to the 2nd round. I just imagine Giannis and the Bucks can trump the Cavs in the 2nd round. Could be a good series though.

The Sixers have Embiid, but they also have Doc Rivers. Doc Rivers hasn't left the 2nd round since his Boston days. So can they finally bust through? They're going to have a difficult 2nd round matchup with Boston.

The Nuggets have a good offense but bad defense, and lately teams have been exposing Jokic's poor defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team upset in the 2nd round.

The Grizzlies have an average offense and stellar defense, they can make a deep run with that. I even still believe this team can make a Finals run, though they struggled on the road this season. 16-25 road record, though wouldn't be the first team to make a Finals with such a road record, but those teams don't win it all.

The Suns obviously suffered injuries all year and are going to be at the mercy of Durant's health making them an interesting case. They finished 45-37, 15th in O, 7th in D, which would make them one of the worst Finals teams on record if they did manage to make it. However, no one could really doubt them if Durant stays healthy and playing at a high level. However, an injury riddled team doesn't exactly have a good history on making deep playoff runs.

The Warriors are another team no one wants to count out, but I have trouble trusting that road record at all. They did manage to pull out some more wins at the end of the season on the road to finish 11-30, but that's still just an awful road record and fail to see how it translate into a deep playoff run. I do think there is plenty there for the Warriors to defeated the newbies Kings in a 1st round upset, but I think it may end there.

The Lakers are the only play-in team that's of any threat, but I still don't think they get out of the 1st round. They are one of the hottest teams in the NBA to finish out the season, so they have that going for them. Assuming they win their first play-in game, I think the Grizzlies would just be too much for them. You also can't trust guys like Anthony Davis to really stay healthy. Could even say the same of LeBron right now. Either way, they are a threat, but how much of one remains to be seen.

The West has great potential to be chaotic for an NBA playoff, but we'll see what happens. The East is likely to be more stable. I also am expecting the eventual champion to come out of the East as well.
I think this may be one of those rare seasons when the champion isn’t top 10 in offense and defense

Grizzlies if Brandon Clarke and Steven Adams hadn’t BOTH gotten hurt would be my favorite to win it all. But, dealing with AD in the first round(assuming he’s healthy) is a tough ask for the Grizz missing those two big men. That said, they should still be able to dispatch the lakers…as long as the NBA doesn’t tip the scales to help bron bron out

Whomstever comes out of the west will be battle tested throughout. If they get to the finals in good health, I think they beat whoever comes out of the east(likely Boston or Milwaukee)

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think this may be one of those rare seasons when the champion isn’t top 10 in offense and defense

Grizzlies if Brandon Clarke and Steven Adams hadn’t BOTH gotten hurt would be my favorite to win it all. But, dealing with AD in the first round(assuming he’s healthy) is a tough ask for the Grizz missing those two big men. That said, they should still be able to dispatch the lakers…as long as the NBA doesn’t tip the scales to help bron bron out

Whomstever comes out of the west will be battle tested throughout. If they get to the finals in good health, I think they beat whoever comes out of the east(likely Boston or Milwaukee)
If I were going to pick a team to win it all, it'd be Milwaukee, and they sit outside the Top 10 in O. But that assumes the supporting cast stays healthy. Middleton is the key to the Bucks winning a ship. Without him, they'll be like they were last year in the playoffs.

If Durant stays healthy and plays well with the team, I'd pick Phoenix as the favorite to actually win it all. I just question the ability of him to stay healthy for 16+ games.

As you mention, Memphis is missing two key players and that to me will hurt them against a team like Milwaukee if they faced them in the Finals. It'll also hurt them if say they had to play Phoenix in the WCF and Phoenix stays healthy.

Playoffs really are going to come down to who's healthy enough (which, well, when doesn't it), but I just feel like this year has so many health questions vs some prior seasons.

The battle tested thing isn't really that meaningful. We've seen the West beat itself up for decades and sometimes it results in wins, sometimes it doesn't.

The NBA is 99% of the time comes down to who has the superstars and who are good in the O & D ratings. The superstars matters more though.

Now, if you go by my book, last year, Jayson Tatum isn't a superstar, and so last year was the first year we had a team with a Superstar (Curry) and an O-rating outside the Top 10 (17th) defeat a team that is Top 10 in both O & D but no superstar.

Plenty of teams have won with one ranking outside the Top 10 in O & D. These Finals usually involve them playing a fellow team outside the Top 10 in one of O & D.

The 04 Pistons are really the only true upset in post ABA merger NBA history. The 79 Sonics could be considered another one, though the NBA is probably at it's weakest point at this time and they played a Bullets team they lost in 7 to the year prior.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
what an atrocious game by Ant last night. Almost the entire Wolves team showed up except for him.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
what an atrocious game by Ant last night. Almost the entire Wolves team showed up except for him.
And Gobert lol

• Haha
Reactions: BNB

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Going to be a fun opening round series between the Grizzlies and Lakers

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Zion says he will play when he “feels like Zion again.”

Dude just doesn’t seem to truly love basketball. At least not as much as Big Macs

It’s playoff time(play in time because he went away for most the season or they wouldn’t have to be in the play in) and he doesn’t seem to care

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Dude just doesn’t seem to truly love basketball. At least not as much as Big Macs

It’s playoff time(play in time because he went away for most the season or they wouldn’t have to be in the play in) and he doesn’t seem to care
Gives me Derrick Rose vibes.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

@SilenceS I remember a lot of talk earlier this season about how great NO was and zion injuries/fatness/laziness not being an issue

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
@SilenceS I remember a lot of talk earlier this season about how great NO was and zion injuries/fatness/laziness not being an issue
Yes, thats why when healthy they were 1 in the West. Member berries aree a funny thing. The member what they want to remember.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Top 4 seed in the west, I believe was the “guarantee”
Top 4 was their ceiling with a healthy Zion. Pull the post or you being disingenuous like you are normally on this board.

FYI, I bet on OKC last night.

Im not a blind homer

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gives me Derrick Rose vibes.
It gives me new generation vibes. BI said the same thing earlier this year.

David Griffin walked it back saying he hasnt been cleared medically, but Zion is not very liked right now for those comments.

Definitely wasnt the right choice of words to say.