2022-23 NBA Season THREAD (2023 Playoffs Talk)

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Luka is amazing.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Grizzlies giving the Pelicans the business

@SilenceS

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, what happened to the Pels maybe an 8th seed? Just asking

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
15 points? def not a blow out according to you
Okay, cool? Where did I call it a blowout?

I mentioned it because of your claim that regular season games determine who the better team is lol

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems like someone is scoring 50 damn near every night.

It's almost not even impressive to see anymore. I kinda miss the NBA from 10 years ago.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The NBA is the least entertaining and unwatchable as it’s been in over 20 years. They were dark days after Jordan retired, but todays game of run up the court, Jack 3s, and soft defense isn’t much better. Somehow the officiating seems worse as well. It’s just a bad product, IMO.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

czman

Liked Posts:
The NBA is the least entertaining and unwatchable as it’s been in over 20 years. They were dark days after Jordan retired, but todays game of run up the court, Jack 3s, and soft defense isn’t much better. Somehow the officiating seems worse as well. It’s just a bad product, IMO.
Not gonna go into the data but the NBA has been bleeding viewers for ~20 years. I know people will bring up streaming and what not buy the NFL has slowly been growing and mlb has been way more steady than most people would believe. The NBA is not in as healthy as it was. Jordan made the NBA and LeBron may start the slow death of it.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The All Too Early Top 10 Offense and Defense Rating Teams.

The beginning of December is typically the first time I look at this, unless prompted, though December is still too early to take too much stock in it. But for fun I thought I'd just post it.

Right now, there are just three teams that have ratings in the Top 10 for both offense and defense.

Cleveland 8th in O, 2nd in D
New Orleans 6th in O, 5th in D
Phoenix 2nd in O, 6th in D
So now that it is January, you can start to take more stock in these Top 10 O and D ratings...

However, we're still on a weird sort of season with these ratings...

There are currently 4 teams in the Top 10 in both...

New Orleans 8th in O, 6th in D
New York Knicks 9th in O, 8th in D
Brooklyn Nets 3rd in O, 9th in D
Boston Celtics 1st in O, 10th in D

The Bulls currently rank 17th in O, 18th in D.

Most of the teams with established superstars are playing great defense as a team, but more lackluster offense.

Milwaukee is 23rd in O, but 3rd in D
Philadelphia is 14th in O, but 4th in D
Memphis is 13th in O, but 2nd in D

Dallas has a good O, at #5, but is 15th in D.

The Warriors are bad in both categories, but Curry has been out awhile (though they were still struggling with Curry).

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Outside of the 90s, I'd argue 2010-2016ish is more peak entertainment of the NBA in terms of the style of play I wanted. I desired for more three point shooting, but I despise the "CANT SHOOT ANYTHING BUT THREES" mentality many seem to have.

For me, the worst era to re-watch games in my life time is still the post-Jordan years of 1999-2003. It bleeds later than those years of course, but to me those years are the absolute worst.

In terms of officiating, it's always been bad, and will probably always be bad.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not gonna go into the data but the NBA has been bleeding viewers for ~20 years. I know people will bring up streaming and what not buy the NFL has slowly been growing and mlb has been way more steady than most people would believe. The NBA is not in as healthy as it was. Jordan made the NBA and LeBron may start the slow death of it.
If you're going by viewers watching, you have a point, but viewership of just about everything, sans NFL games, has been dropping for a long long time due to the variety of choices viewers now have.

The NBA is also just a top tier star driven league. Michael Jordan AND LeBron James got them the highest ratings of their respective eras. In years they were not in the Finals, the NBA suffered poor ratings. 94 and 95 have poor ratings, obviously post-Jordan retirement had rather poor ratings. If you look at the LeBron years, though he made 8 straight Finals or whatever it was, as soon as he was not in the Finals, ratings plummeted.. of course the pandemic did a lot of damage to the NBA as well, but LeBron was a draw for viewership, regardless of what one thought of LeBron.

So, the NBA is going to have strong desires for a replacement for LeBron ASAP.. That hope right now is going to be Victor Wembanyama.