2022-23 NBA Season THREAD (2023 Playoffs Talk)

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Nope, not the Grizzlies
Yet, they’ve still managed to have more success in the time they’ve been in Memphis than our beloved bulls have during the same time period

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yet, they’ve still managed to have more success in the time they’ve been in Memphis than our beloved bulls have during the same time period
Up to this season actually, it's been shockingly equal.

Since 2001 both teams have missed the playoffs 9 times, have 1 conference finals appearance (both teams lost), 3 losses in the 2nd round, and 8 1st round exits, missing the playoffs 9 times each.

I didn't bother to total the number of wins in that time period, maybe that would show the Grizz with more overall wins.

Either way, the Grizz are sure to take the lead on playoff success this season so you will be technically right

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

They sure have, as have a lot of teams. These certainly aren’t my beloved Bulls though. Actually one of my least favorite squads since I started watching basketball over 30 years ago.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Up to this season actually, it's been shockingly equal.

Since 2001 both teams have missed the playoffs 9 times, have 1 conference finals appearance (both teams lost), 3 losses in the 2nd round, and 8 1st round exits, missing the playoffs 9 times each.

I didn't bother to total the number of wins in that time period, maybe that would show the Grizz with more overall wins.

Either way, the Grizz are sure to take the lead on playoff success this season so you will be technically right
Grizzlies have a .489 winning %, while the Bulls have a .483 winning %. Sort of splitting hairs there.

Playoff success wise they are indeed exactly the same. Likely changing this year though.

Grizz future is also much brighter assuming Ja doesn't Derrick Rose himself.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Hopefully Ja will be fine. He doesn’t cut and move with the same speed and force as Rose did. Just complete hell on his knees.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
LOL im dying that they literally stopped in the middle of the game to honor LeBron becoming the all-time leading scorer.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Road games is all you can really say there. Like has already been mentioned, only two teams in the west have winning road records. It’s pretty bizarre, like obviously you’d rather play at home but to have that drastic of splits is strange

it’s why I’d like to see them push Denver for that top spot in the west and get home court advantage throughout the western playoffs. They are a different animal at home, they put on for their city

League probably getting heavy handed tipping the scales like the NHL so everyone goes home happy.

Basketball is different though, in that wood floors are nuanced, and not as much in NBA, with rims differing as in college, but sight line m/background does matter like Vanderbilt at home.

But a good shooter will feel all the high and low points by heart on the floor at home. You know the court. Your mind makes better passive calculations based on experience at home and you shoot better.

The way to counter that on the road is to drive to the bucket and play defense. Both becoming rarities, so road wins are dropping.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
What ever happened to the “big scandal” involving the grizzlies score keeper that people were losing their shit over a couple weeks ago? Big nothing burger now I’m assuming?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

everyone wants their to be a conspiracy, yet here are experts that looked at each block and came to the conclusion there’s no conspiracy

im not surprised many on here latched on to it, the only one that surprises me is scoot because he’s typically so “measured” in his responses. He is typically a hindsight guy
Well, I shared it originally and commented on it the day it came out. What was presented certainly appeared convincing on the surface, but I believe my only real comment to it was 'this is wild" and then stating to you that it seemed like the scorekeeper may be wildly inflating JJJ's stats.

As the days went on, evidence certainly showed otherwise... The NBA said Memphis's scorekeeper doesn't track blocks/steals, the NBA does. So if there was rigging, it would be the NBA doing it. But I saw other statistical analysis, sports writers who looked into way more plays than those 7 presented on reddit and they found nothing conspiratorial going on. Some questionable stat keeping here and there, but was found to be common throughout NBA. In fact I think Coby had a block last week that he didn't get credit for, at least initially.

This thread had moved on by then, and I'm not always the most openly available person to continually comment (Usually my work from home days are the days I'm most active here), so I just kind of left it at that. It was a fun 24 hours of conspiracy though.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Well, I shared it originally and commented on it the day it came out. What was presented certainly appeared convincing on the surface, but I believe my only real comment to it was 'this is wild" and then stating to you that it seemed like the scorekeeper may be wildly inflating JJJ's stats.

As the days went on, evidence certainly showed otherwise... The NBA said Memphis's scorekeeper doesn't track blocks/steals, the NBA does. So if there was rigging, it would be the NBA doing it. But I saw other statistical analysis, sports writers who looked into way more plays than those 7 presented on reddit and they found nothing conspiratorial going on. Some questionable stat keeping here and there, but was found to be common throughout NBA. In fact I think Coby had a block last week that he didn't get credit for, at least initially.

This thread had moved on by then, and I'm not always the most openly available person to continually comment (Usually my work from home days are the days I'm most active here), so I just kind of left it at that. It was a fun 24 hours of conspiracy though.

just a recap lol

The issue isn't that JJ Jr might be playing better at home.. it's that it seems his stats are being wildly inflated by the home scorekeeper. There are several video examples within that thread of him being credited with stats he has no business being credited with..

And it isn't quite like Silence's Westbrook example where an assist sometimes gets credited within a second and sometimes doesn't.

Figured you'd first look at all the evidence prior to going into full defensive mode.

Defensive mode?! Hardly

Just merely pointing out the FACTS that they play better at home than on the road by a wide discrepancy. But apparently you don’t think this plays a factor at all in players stats being better at home vs away?

I’m sure you could find instances of players at home getting favorable score keeping, not just Memphis.

What’s next?! You’ll let us know lebron gets favorable score keeping?!?

Also, 5 of the 7 “examples” were debatable at worst. Example 1 was the worst of the 7 examples put forth.

Because I DID watch them before I responded despite your presumption I hadn’t already

I just find it interesting and funny how some are so anti conspiracy theory until it comes to sports

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean, would it not have been wild if true?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Its ok. NBA never rigged anything just like Ja Morant a soldier in life.