2022 Blackhawks Trades/Signings

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just saw a video of Connor Bedard. First time I ever saw him. I also watched some clips of Wright.

Connor Bedard looks like Kaner with speed.....he's got mad skills....ok, he's small but he IS bigger than the Cat.

Wright did not impress nearly as much although he has more size.

Both players are centers.

The Blackhawks are in dire need of defensemen.....I'll put it this way, I would pass on Wright to get a lesser ranked Dman.....

I would not pass on Bedard.
I'm of a similar mind, when it comes to rebuilding the 'hawks the eyes have to be on the long game. Here's how the picks break down as things stand now:
  • 2022 draft
    • We get our 1st round pick if we get pick 1 or 2, and lose 2023's 1st round to Columbus
    • We get Minny's 1st round pick if they make the conference finals and Fleury wins 4 games.
      • Otherwise it's Minny's 2nd
    • We have our 2nd round pick
    • We get Edmonton's 2nd round pick if they make it to the Stanley cup finals, and Keith is top 4 among the oilers in TOI for the playoffs.
      • Otherwise it's Edmonton's 3rd
    • We got Toronto's 3rd
    • We got Vegas's 3rd
    • We got our 6th
    • We got Columbus' 6th
    • We got our 7th.
Right now, only Columbus is on the outside of the playoffs. We have 2, MAYBE 3 early-round picks, the rest are middle or late-round.

In contrast:
  • 2023 draft
    • We have our 1st round pick.
      • Assuming we didn't lose it in 2022
    • We get Tampa's 1st round pick if their pick is not top-10
      • Otherwise it moves to 2025.
    • We have Tampa's 2nd round pick
    • We have our 3rd round pick
    • We have our 4th round pick
    • We have our 5th round pick
    • We have our 6th round pick
    • We have our 7th round pick
In both drafts, we have essentially 8-9 picks. It's *possible* to have 7 in 2023 assuming we get the top-2 pick in 2022 and Tampa falls off a cliff in 2023. The latter is highly unlikely.

My guesstimation is this is how it'll play out:
  • 2022 draft:
    • We have a 3-10 2nd round pick.
    • We have a late 2nd round pick (Minny)
    • We have a 10-20 3rd round pick (Vegas)
    • We have a late 3rd round pick (Edmonton)
    • We have a late 3rd round pick (Toronto)
    • We have a 3-10 5th round pick
    • We have a 10-20 5th round pick (Columbus)
    • We have a 3-10 7th round pick.
  • 2023 draft:
    • We have a top-10 1st round pick.
    • We have a late 1st round pick (Tampa)
    • We have a top-10 2nd round pick
    • We have a late 2nd round pick (Tampa)
    • We have a top-10 3rd round pick
    • We have a top-10 4th round pick
    • We have a top-10 5rd round pick
    • We have a top-10 6th round pick
    • We have a top-10 7rd round pick
2023 we'll likely be getting much higher quality picks (based on pick placement) in a deeper draft than if we lose out in 2022. Even if we take the "best player available", there is a much higher shot that the BPA at any given slot we pick is someone who could be a top-2 D-man of the future in that draft, vs. the 2022 draft.

Granada

Liked Posts:
My worry is the opposite: I think with the loss of Hagel and Fleury the 'hawks might be bad enough to drop into position where they have good odds at getting pick 1 or 2 in this draft rather than sending a pick out to Columbus and giving them our next year's 1st rounder when the team is very likely a de facto cellar dweller in a deep draft. That would suck royally.

However, with respect to other moves, I believe something like 12 d-men were on the move today and today alone. I think that really eroded the market for DeHaan especially since this season was the *only* season he played for the Blackhawks and played like he belonged in the NHL, and it was a contract year for him. I think that chased off a ton of teams. Hell, if I'm the Blues, would I want DeHaan at half salary or Nick Leddy?

I'm picking Nick Leddy.
Yeah your fear is understandable. For some reason, I just think they'll remain on par as far as suckage is concerned. It's not like the teams already below us got substantially better either. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

De Haan -- I don't know what happened there. I have a really hard time believing that you couldn't get a fifth round pick for the guy from somebody; I mean the guy's contract was expiring. We all love to rag on the guy, but you can't tell me a playoff team wouldn't have taken him on their third tandem. I just think this was a failure on Davidson's part, I feel like his asking price was too much, but we'll never know. If the reports were true, there were teams interested in him.

The Debrusk thing in Boston was very surprising. Many were reporting it as a sign and trade, and I honestly thought that maybe the Hawks were getting him. He fits in the mold of players Davidson is keen on: big and relatively young (25), has top-six talent/potential. My thought was maybe Davidson was trying get a 3-way trade done involving McCabe, which would allow him to take on Debrusk with one less year on his contract. I was hoping that at least, I would have done that in a second. Regardless, something had to have fallen through with that Debrusk deal. So many reliable sources were reporting that as a sign-and-trade.

Just came across this and found it interesting, especially considering that Jones' name was included: "A meeting is set to take place this week between veteran agent Pat Brisson — who represents all three of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Seth Jones — and Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson to gauge where all three players are at in terms of their futures with the organization." Source: NHL Rumors: Golden Knights, Ducks, Oilers, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah your fear is understandable. For some reason, I just think they'll remain on par as far as suckage is concerned. It's not like the teams already below us got substantially better either. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

De Haan -- I don't know what happened there. I have a really hard time believing that you couldn't get a fifth round pick for the guy from somebody; I mean the guy's contract was expiring. We all love to rag on the guy, but you can't tell me a playoff team wouldn't have taken him on their third tandem. I just think this was a failure on Davidson's part, I feel like his asking price was too much, but we'll never know. If the reports were true, there were teams interested in him.

The Debrusk thing in Boston was very surprising. Many were reporting it as a sign and trade, and I honestly thought that maybe the Hawks were getting him. He fits in the mold of players Davidson is keen on: big and relatively young (25), has top-six talent/potential. My thought was maybe Davidson was trying get a 3-way trade done involving McCabe, which would allow him to take on Debrusk with one less year on his contract. I was hoping that at least, I would have done that in a second. Regardless, something had to have fallen through with that Debrusk deal. So many reliable sources were reporting that as a sign-and-trade.

Just came across this and found it interesting, especially considering that Jones' name was included: "A meeting is set to take place this week between veteran agent Pat Brisson — who represents all three of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Seth Jones — and Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson to gauge where all three players are at in terms of their futures with the organization." Source: NHL Rumors: Golden Knights, Ducks, Oilers, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks
I think that the 'hawks might drop a bit, but not tank out. I do think that we could get screwed by the lottery process--like we finish 6-8th last and we manage to win pick #2.

I think I'll play it safe and sacrifice some sweater-tuckers to the hockey gods :)

If Davidson was asking for something more than a 7th rounder for DeHaan, and offers came in that he refused, that would suck indeed and would be a failure/learning moment for him. However, I think the D market might have been saturated and the asking price for taking him off of our hands might have included another piece being sent out to rid us of DeHaan--like sending out a guy like Dach. I'm not that high on Dach but let's be realistic here for a moment: a player like Dach should not be trade bait to get rid of DeHaan.

Not real skin off my teeth though unless Davidson re-signs him--especially if it's a multi-year deal.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm of a similar mind, when it comes to rebuilding the 'hawks the eyes have to be on the long game. Here's how the picks break down as things stand now:
  • 2022 draft
    • We get our 1st round pick if we get pick 1 or 2, and lose 2023's 1st round to Columbus
    • We get Minny's 1st round pick if they make the conference finals and Fleury wins 4 games.
      • Otherwise it's Minny's 2nd
    • We get Edmonton's 2nd round pick if they make it to the Stanley cup finals, and Keith is top 4 among the oilers in TOI for the playoffs.
      • Otherwise it's Edmonton's 3rd
    • We got Toronto's 3rd
    • We got Vegas's 3rd
    • We got our 6th
    • We got Columbus' 6th
    • We got our 7th.
Right now, only Columbus is on the outside of the playoffs. We have 2, MAYBE 3 early-round picks, the rest are middle or late-round.

In contrast:
  • 2023 draft
    • We have our 1st round pick.
      • Assuming we didn't lose it in 2022
    • We get Tampa's 1st round pick if their pick is not top-10
      • Otherwise it moves to 2025.
    • We have Tampa's 2nd round pick
    • We have our 3rd round pick
    • We have our 4th round pick
    • We have our 5th round pick
    • We have our 6th round pick
    • We have our 7th round pick
In both drafts, we have essentially 8-9 picks. It's *possible* to have 7 in 2023 assuming we get the top-2 pick in 2022 and Tampa falls off a cliff in 2023. The latter is highly unlikely.

My guesstimation is this is how it'll play out:
  • 2022 draft:
    • We have a 3-10 2nd round pick.
    • We have a late 2nd round pick (Minny)
    • We have a 10-20 3rd round pick (Vegas)
    • We have a late 3rd round pick (Edmonton)
    • We have a late 3rd round pick (Toronto)
    • We have a 3-10 5th round pick
    • We have a 10-20 5th round pick (Columbus)
    • We have a 3-10 7th round pick.
  • 2023 draft:
    • We have a top-10 1st round pick.
    • We have a late 1st round pick (Tampa)
    • We have a top-10 2nd round pick
    • We have a late 2nd round pick (Tampa)
    • We have a top-10 3rd round pick
    • We have a top-10 4th round pick
    • We have a top-10 5rd round pick
    • We have a top-10 6th round pick
    • We have a top-10 7rd round pick
2023 we'll likely be getting much higher quality picks (based on pick placement) in a deeper draft than if we lose out in 2022. Even if we take the "best player available", there is a much higher shot that the BPA at any given slot we pick is someone who could be a top-2 D-man of the future in that draft, vs. the 2022 draft.
Thanks for figuring all that out. You can get a headache trying to guesstimate who picks where with all these damn conditional picks. I agree with you that regardless of how bad they are....just 2 or 3 more points will get them out of the 1 or 2 slot for 2022. Maybe not even that. Would really love Fluery to step up in the playoffs to enhance that pick and just have KD keep doing what he can to garner as many picks as possible. Even the mid-levels are useful to be used to move up in the draft if needed. If done right, 2023 could be the start of the turnaround for this franchise.....they really have to tank next year. Play some of the kids they have.....see what they already have or don't have. It will be painful but every loss is step forward. You are correct.....a good rebuild doesn't happen over nite. It is truly playing the long game.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

No...DeHaan is that bad that he isn't worth 1/4 of his cap number even for a defense desperate playoff team. He hasn't warranted playing in the league at all since he got here and every team has a few guys they would rather call-up than keep beating that horse.

With his road trip hand job buddy Colliton gone, if we could have gotten a 7th rounder for him why wouldn't we? He was deemed less than worthless by everyone(apparently other coaches in the league don't value road head over cap space?). I'd have sent him to be a fat Hog long ago(Squeal like a pig!!), as his tutelage and leadership can't be worth blocking a yute of experience to us.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that the 'hawks might drop a bit, but not tank out. I do think that we could get screwed by the lottery process--like we finish 6-8th last and we manage to win pick #2.

I think I'll play it safe and sacrifice some sweater-tuckers to the hockey gods :)

If Davidson was asking for something more than a 7th rounder for DeHaan, and offers came in that he refused, that would suck indeed and would be a failure/learning moment for him. However, I think the D market might have been saturated and the asking price for taking him off of our hands might have included another piece being sent out to rid us of DeHaan--like sending out a guy like Dach. I'm not that high on Dach but let's be realistic here for a moment: a player like Dach should not be trade bait to get rid of DeHaan.

Not real skin off my teeth though unless Davidson re-signs him--especially if it's a multi-year deal.

I'd be happy with pick #1 or #2. That was a good cover by Bowman....

Granada

Liked Posts:
No...DeHaan is that bad that he isn't worth 1/4 of his cap number even for a defense desperate playoff team. He hasn't warranted playing in the league at all since he got here and every team has a few guys they would rather call-up than keep beating that horse.

With his road trip hand job buddy Colliton gone, if we could have gotten a 7th rounder for him why wouldn't we? He was deemed less than worthless by everyone(apparently other coaches in the league don't value road head over cap space?). I'd have sent him to be a fat Hog long ago(Squeal like a pig!!), as his tutelage and leadership can't be worth blocking a yute of experience to us.
Disagree. There was a reason why St. Louis, Toronto, and Nashville were all sniffing around, as reported. If you honestly think there were no discussions or interest concerning De Haan, you're simply wrong.

Playoff teams -- or teams trying to make the playoffs -- wouldn't rather call up players. Only shit teams that have nothing to play for -- like the Hawks -- do that.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Disagree. There was a reason why St. Louis, Toronto, and Nashville were all sniffing around, as reported. If you honestly think there were no discussions or interest concerning De Haan, you're simply wrong.

Playoff teams -- or teams trying to make the playoffs -- wouldn't rather call up players. Only shit teams that have nothing to play for -- like the Hawks -- do that.
I'm sure there was indeed discussions and inquires, but I do question whether or not the inquiries were something like, "Okay, we want DeHaan with 50% retained and we'll send back a 7th round pick." If that happened Davisdon should have taken the pick and ran away. I think that given DeHaan's injury and playing history with the 'hawksother teams might have wanted something more from the 'hawks other than just DeHaan as a rental with 50% retained--even the contenders.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm sure there was indeed discussions and inquires, but I do question whether or not the inquiries were something like, "Okay, we want DeHaan with 50% retained and we'll send back a 7th round pick." If that happened Davisdon should have taken the pick and ran away. I think that given DeHaan's injury and playing history with the 'hawksother teams might have wanted something more from the 'hawks other than just DeHaan as a rental with 50% retained--even the contenders.
Sure, but my point is, it's not like every NHL team had zero interest in the guy because he sucks, etc. I mean, who knows why a deal couldn't be made, it could have been because teams were trying to hold Davidson over a barrel (like you said); it could have been because Davidson overplayed his hand and thought he could get more from another trade partner; it could have been because Davidson waited until the last minute to maximize his return (as he evidently did with Carpenter); it could have been that he was working on a bigger deal that fell through at zero hour; it could have been that Davidson's asking price was too high. Regardless, the guy was not "less than worthless" (Rask's words) to every NHL team -- I disagree with that characterization.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Other than the meaningless Carp trade,only low hanging fruit was moved. The return was pretty good IF the picks work out but moving a talented 23yro on pace for 25+ in his 1st full season with a 1 1/2M hit for two more and still a RFA after this deal is a gimmie.......so's MAF.

I know Kubs has regressed(seems to be a theme here) but why not play him in the top six the last two month just to up his numbers? Waited till Gus was worthless,Benched Strome till he was worthless and untradable but now that he's playing the way any sane person would expect with top six time......we don't want to trade him now that he has value again? Is a player who turns 26 next season part of the rebuild?

deHAAH-job isn't very good but a 5th with half retained should have still happened.

At least we kept Connolly and Johnson and their combined 8.5M hit............I almost lost sleep worrying about losing those guys.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Blackhawks should take note of a pro team that knows how to win and keep on winning.....the Kansas City Chiefs just traded Tyreek Hill for a boatload of picks. He's still a great player who relies on speed but in a couple of years when that speed starts going away....he won't be the same guy.

Get the picture? If you want to keep the playoff train rolling, you got to bite the bullet and move guys while their value is still high. That's something that has been lost here for quite awhile.....and now we get to pay for it.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Other than the meaningless Carp trade,only low hanging fruit was moved. The return was pretty good IF the picks work out but moving a talented 23yro on pace for 25+ in his 1st full season with a 1 1/2M hit for two more and still a RFA after this deal is a gimmie.......so's MAF.

I know Kubs has regressed(seems to be a theme here) but why not play him in the top six the last two month just to up his numbers? Waited till Gus was worthless,Benched Strome till he was worthless and untradable but now that he's playing the way any sane person would expect with top six time......we don't want to trade him now that he has value again? Is a player who turns 26 next season part of the rebuild?

deHAAH-job isn't very good but a 5th with half retained should have still happened.

At least we kept Connolly and Johnson and their combined 8.5M hit............I almost lost sleep worrying about losing those guys.
From what I hear Davidson didn’t get what he was asking for on CDH, and something tells me he wanted a lot more then a mid round pick for him.

As for Connolly and TJ, we would have had to sweeten those deals unless a team needed ltir room. It remains to be seen if KD has the smarts to understand those contracts have value.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
DeHaan plays minutes here because the Hawks' defensemen all suck. He would be at best a #5/6 dman with a good team.....plus he's getting paid $4.5 mill. Injury insurance? Maybe, but not for $4.5 mil. They probably were offering a late pick if the Hawks picked up his salary. Fuck that. I don't blame them....why help out St. Louis?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly....
If any offer was made at all for anything...there was no reason to pass. "Sniff" meant something less than a pick or worse. Why would anyone defend DeHaan after the pussy scared sloppy play he has given us for years?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
DeHaan plays minutes here because the Hawks' defensemen all suck. He would be at best a #5/6 dman with a good team.....plus he's getting paid $4.5 mill. Injury insurance? Maybe, but not for $4.5 mil. They probably were offering a late pick if the Hawks picked up his salary. Fuck that. I don't blame them....why help out St. Louis?
He would not be a 6th dman on a good defense.

And salaries are pro-rated? I thought, if so than nobody offered a damn thing when he could be had for $1,125,000.
At 2.25....I would laugh at the GM that gave us anything.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blackhawks should take note of a pro team that knows how to win and keep on winning.....the Kansas City Chiefs just traded Tyreek Hill for a boatload of picks. He's still a great player who relies on speed but in a couple of years when that speed starts going away....he won't be the same guy.

Get the picture? If you want to keep the playoff train rolling, you got to bite the bullet and move guys while their value is still high. That's something that has been lost here for quite awhile.....and now we get to pay for it.
You don't trade Tyreke Hill and get better. We'll see. But Mahomes has struggled often when BOTH Kelce and Hill have not spread the field for him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You don't trade Tyreke Hill and get better. We'll see. But Mahomes has struggled often when BOTH Kelce and Hill have not spread the field for him.
Good Lord....could you miss the point by any more? Your post sounds like something Bowman would say. You pull the trigger now while he's worth the most not when your looking at a Cap breaking payday for him. Miami just gave him a huge extension, KC couldn't afford that capwise....meanwhile the Chiefs can continue to get younger while still contending.

The point I'm making is if you hold on too long, no matter how good a player still is....you will end up getting pennies on the dollar for him.

Granada

Liked Posts:

The salary cap doesn't apply come playoff time in the NHL, De Haan's contract expires this year, and 4.5 million isn't astronomical. So his salary wouldn't have been a hindrance in a trade. I think helping out a rival short term is fine (see Minnesota with Fleury), if you can get something over nothing for a player that is UFA after this year.

This is a matter of a rookie GM asking too much for him. It was a misstep by Davidson, plain and simple.