2022: Building around Fields

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Over the next 2 years this Bears Team will a bit of turn over including attempting to bring in some youth while the older guys move on.
Here are some Ideas.

2021 Contract Extension
Allen Robinson 4yrs $75 Million

Big Name Walks/Cut :
Jimmy Graham (UFA)
Akeim Hicks (UFA)
Robert Quinn ($7 Million in savings)
Nick Foles ($3 Million in savings)
Danny Trevathan (cut post 06/01 $4mil savings)
Germain Ifedi (UFA)

Franchise Tag
Roquan Smith

Re-Signed
Bilal Nichols 3yrs $18Mil
James Daniels 4yrs $56mil

Free Agency
RT Ryan Ramczyk 4Yrs $70Mil

rd2 TE Jeremy Ruckert OSU
rd3 CB Roger McCreary Auburn
rd5 Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia
rd6 ??
rd7 ??

SIde note If Fuller is open to a reunion sign that dude ASAP LOL

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Offensive priorities:

Re-sign Robinson
Add another good body to the OL-this will depend on the development of Jenkins, Borom and Mustipher
Find a third receiver-I don't think we have three starters right now and you need three in today's NFL

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Offensive priorities:

Re-sign Robinson
Add another good body to the OL-this will depend on the development of Jenkins, Borom and Mustipher
Find a third receiver-I don't think we have three starters right now and you need three in today's NFL
heres to hoping K'Met is the "3rd Reciever" we need

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
heres to hoping K'Met is the "3rd Reciever" we need

And hopefully he takes a big leap forward this year so we can use our 2nd rounder on another position.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
I just don’t think it’s wise to put lots of cap dollars into a WR who isn’t Deandre Hopkins, or Julio Jones/Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss in their prime. But, Pace has to keep drafting them and get the team stocked with them. Use the cap allocation on OL/DL and eventually QB. This is only possible if Pace stops trading away picks, in fact he now needs to acquire picks.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
No way I'm paying Daniels that much money over 4 years. He has injury concerns and other than a handful of good games to start the year last year, hasn't proven anything. This is a big year to prove himself, but if he goes down with another injury and/or doesn't look very good, I'd let him walk.

I would definitely look to sign a starting RT though. Ramczyk would be awesome. OG could be filled via the draft or if Borom/Bars step up.

I'm torn on Robinson, tbh. If the Bears could sign him long term and lower his cap hit, that would be great, but if they could trade him before the season for ideally a 1st, or maybe a 2nd + mid round pick, I'd have to consider it. It's tough because no, he's not in that DeAndre Hopkins/Julio tier, but he still is a top 10-15 WR who has had to suffer through Bortles, Mitch, and Foles. Does a QB like Fields take him to another level? I still don't think so because he doesn't have the same attributes as those guys and he lost a lot of 50/50 balls he should have won last year that I would expect my #1 highly paid WR to win. Also a poor blocker with average speed. His route running and hands are both very good, though and when you invest in a QB like Fields, it's probably a good idea to surround him with a great OL and a lot of weapons.

The question really is this: With the money saved by trading A-Rob, could you improve the roster better in other areas and/or find a good receiver for a lot less money? Could always draft one as well. It's really a tough call. With the cap going up next season, he may be looking for even more money than targeted this year. If the plan is to really groom Fields and let Dalton play all/most of the season, then I would lean towards trading Robinson now, couping a premium draft pick, and having more money to sign FA OL, CB, and front 7.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Would actually be nice to have a second TE to grow with K’Met

Agreed, but if there's a position that needs more help that second TE can be grabbed later.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
No way I'm paying Daniels that much money over 4 years. He has injury concerns and other than a handful of good games to start the year last year, hasn't proven anything. This is a big year to prove himself, but if he goes down with another injury and/or doesn't look very good, I'd let him walk.

I would definitely look to sign a starting RT though. Ramczyk would be awesome. OG could be filled via the draft or if Borom/Bars step up.

I'm torn on Robinson, tbh. If the Bears could sign him long term and lower his cap hit, that would be great, but if they could trade him before the season for ideally a 1st, or maybe a 2nd + mid round pick, I'd have to consider it. It's tough because no, he's not in that DeAndre Hopkins/Julio tier, but he still is a top 10-15 WR who has had to suffer through Bortles, Mitch, and Foles. Does a QB like Fields take him to another level? I still don't think so because he doesn't have the same attributes as those guys and he lost a lot of 50/50 balls he should have won last year that I would expect my #1 highly paid WR to win. Also a poor blocker with average speed. His route running and hands are both very good, though and when you invest in a QB like Fields, it's probably a good idea to surround him with a great OL and a lot of weapons.

The question really is this: With the money saved by trading A-Rob, could you improve the roster better in other areas and/or find a good receiver for a lot less money? Could always draft one as well. It's really a tough call. With the cap going up next season, he may be looking for even more money than targeted this year. If the plan is to really groom Fields and let Dalton play all/most of the season, then I would lean towards trading Robinson now, couping a premium draft pick, and having more money to sign FA OL, CB, and front 7.
I tend to agree with you. ARob is a great WR, not an elite one. I think this is an example of hometown fans overvaluing him because he was the great player in a position room that has been average since his arrival. Not a knock on him, but he is not worth top WR money.

Add in the fact that WRs are becoming much better and more plentiful through the draft. And as stated, if you can get a first or 2nd and clear up his cap hit? I think you take that and allocate those resources elsewhere.

I know many will disagree with me here, it’s just my opinion. People keep making future mocks with extending him, but I don’t believe he will take anything less than top dollar, and he is not a top dollar WR. Create space and acquire a RT and a more affordable WR next year. And they add draft picks. Better to get something for him before he leaves next year for nothing.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I tend to agree with you. ARob is a great WR, not an elite one. I think this is an example of hometown fans overvaluing him because he was the great player in a position room that has been average since his arrival. Not a knock on him, but he is not worth top WR money.

Add in the fact that WRs are becoming much better and more plentiful through the draft. And as stated, if you can get a first or 2nd and clear up his cap hit? I think you take that and allocate those resources elsewhere.

I know many will disagree with me here, it’s just my opinion. People keep making future mocks with extending him, but I don’t believe he will take anything less than top dollar, and he is not a top dollar WR. Create space and acquire a RT and a more affordable WR next year. And they add draft picks. Better to get something for him before he leaves next year for nothing.
You would be lucky to get a 3rd pick for him in a trade.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
You would be lucky to get a 3rd pick for him in a trade.
I doubt that. The Dolphins for example, I believe have cap and picks. They have Will Fuller and now Waddle, but since they’re giving Tua a shot, a dependable ARob and electric Waddle would work for them.

But who knows? I think if circumstances dictate, they could get back more than you think.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears will likely have 2nd tier FA money. I am working on a numbers breakdown, but by the time they bring everyone back that they likely want to, they won’t have huge money.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I
The Bears will likely have 2nd tier FA money. I am working on a numbers breakdown, but by the time they bring everyone back that they likely want to, they won’t have huge money.
I haven’t run the comparative numbers regarding future cap and other teams, but by trading ARob, letting Trevathan walk, etc, I think they will have quite a bit of space next year. Certainly enough to make 1 big splash on the OL (Ramczyk) if the chance presents itself. And I think the best way to develop Fields is to get a top tier OL.