2022 FA targets

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tampa Bay grabbed Shaq Barrett a year before they got Brady and it worked out very well for them. They had to use the franchise tag to keep him around another year but he was certainly worth it.

Depends on the position. If the Bears want to splurge on guys they think might be elite contributors at offensive tackle or edge rusher I'm fine with it, but pouring money into wide receivers or linebackers would make me nauseous.
They signed Barrett to 1yr/$4mil contract originally. They had to hit him with the tag after he lead the league in sacks which happened before Brady signed in FA.

So what does that have to do with what Rask was saying?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Tampa Bay grabbed Shaq Barrett a year before they got Brady and it worked out very well for them. They had to use the franchise tag to keep him around another year but he was certainly worth it.

Depends on the position. If the Bears want to splurge on guys they think might be elite contributors at offensive tackle or edge rusher I'm fine with it, but pouring money into wide receivers or linebackers would make me nauseous.
I agree that WR's and LB's can be found throughout the draft and aren't necessary to address via FA. Although if we were going WR in FA I'd like a cheaper option like Gallup or Fuller until we have full draft capital back to replace them.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thx Milky I was thinking the same thing. When has a one year prove it deal close to home in Florida, been considered a "marquee" free agent signing?

Nobody argues fair anymore, I just throw up my arms and think WTF?!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You have to be aggressive in the rookie contract window. You don’t sit back and wait to see what you got. You build around him while he is cheap in a hope that he is good enough when he is not cheap to carry the weaker team.

The Bears should be aggressive. Maybe not 2020 stupid, but they should hesitate to add on offense.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You have to be aggressive in the rookie contract window. You don’t sit back and wait to see what you got. You build around him while he is cheap in a hope that he is good enough when he is not cheap to carry the weaker team.

The Bears should be aggressive. Maybe not 2020 stupid, but they should hesitate to add on offense.
It's a five year window and the Bears have to get out from some of this bad money they created before it becomes nuclear. If the 2022 off-season is the off-season of cutting bait on Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn, Eddie Jackson, Eddie Goldman etc. while not really adding much veteran talent that is absolutely fine by me. Build up ammunition to make a concerted multi-year off-season spending run starting after Justin Fields' sophomore season.

Nothing would be more of a drag on the Bears ability to fill in the roster than having to pay the piper on three straight years of converted a bunch of players' salary into bonus money.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
It's a five year window and the Bears have to get out from some of this bad money they created before it becomes nuclear. If the 2022 off-season is the off-season of cutting bait on Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn, Eddie Jackson, Eddie Goldman etc. while not really adding much veteran talent that is absolutely fine by me. Build up ammunition to make a concerted multi-year off-season spending run starting after Justin Fields' sophomore season.

Nothing would be more of a drag on the Bears ability to fill in the roster than having to pay the piper on three straight years of converted a bunch of players' salary into bonus money.
This is literally the dumbest take on building a football team around a new franchise quarterback by wholesale selling off the most talented players on defence I mean are you kidding me this sounds like a total udder re-build scrapping of strength to literally gamble on draft when bears could literally win a superbowl in the next season or two or three shaking my **** head!

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Let’s just cut our entire defense. Great idea!
In 2023 those four will account for a combined thirty percent of the Bears salary cap and if they decline as much in 2021 and 2022 and they did in 2020 you're gonna be dealing with players who are barely rosterable (exception being Eddie Goldman, who is a complete unknown).

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This is literally the dumbest take on building a football team around a new franchise quarterback by wholesale selling off the most talented players on defence I mean are you kidding me this sounds like a total udder re-build scrapping of strength to literally gamble on draft when bears could literally win a superbowl in the next season or two or three shaking my **** head!
Its not a rebuild. A rebuild would be trading away guys like Jaylon Johnson or Darnell Mooney, and notice how I don't advocate for cutting Cody Whitehair (a significantly overpaid player in his own right). Its just reallocating resources in a salary cap league. You want to pay a thirty-three year old Khalil Mack ten percent of the Bears salary cap to contribute at the level of a rotation pass rusher?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The defense needs to get cheaper.

I don’t think you get rid of guys, outside of Quinn, instead you replace guys who leave with cheaper options and draft picks.

Goldman, Nichols, Roquan, Johnson, Jackson, Mack, that is your core and it gets supplemented with young cheap cost controlled players.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
In 2023 those four will account for a combined thirty percent of the Bears salary cap and if they decline as much in 2021 and 2022 and they did in 2020 you're gonna be dealing with players who are barely rosterable (exception being Eddie Goldman, who is a complete unknown).
Eddie Goldman is literally the polar opposite of a "complete" "unkown" if you even watch bears football when he was playing and watched also when he was sitting out for last season he literally anchored the interior of the line stopping runs and eating up blocks and even getting sacks and if you somehow don't know this which I would never understand then now you do know this and if you don't believe me then go ahead and re-watch 2019 season and then re-watch the covid season and see the difference in the production from the defencive line you should be able to see the difference literally plain as day with goldman in versus goldman out if you have eyes and a brain.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Anyone who watched the run defense last year and compares it to 2019 can see the significance of not having Goldman out there. He makes the entire defense better.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Its not a rebuild. A rebuild would be trading away guys like Jaylon Johnson or Darnell Mooney, and notice how I don't advocate for cutting Cody Whitehair (a significantly overpaid player in his own right). Its just reallocating resources in a salary cap league. You want to pay a thirty-three year old Khalil Mack ten percent of the Bears salary cap to contribute at the level of a rotation pass rusher?
Trading away your entire core defensive personnel is not a rebuild? Okayyy

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How is Eddie Goldman an unknown? You don't watch the games do you?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The defense needs to get cheaper.

I don’t think you get rid of guys, outside of Quinn, instead you replace guys who leave with cheaper options and draft picks.

Goldman, Nichols, Roquan, Johnson, Jackson, Mack, that is your core and it gets supplemented with young cheap cost controlled players.
I think the ship has mostly sailed on Eddie Jackson and perhaps Khalil Mack. The latter I'm keeping an open mind on but two years of decline is less than encouraging. Still, I don't think of those guys as the core at all any more. Eddie Goldman could return in shape ready to brawl and reenter the picture, or he could be basically a basketcase after a year away from football. Impossible to know.

I don't think its possible to get cheaper on defense while keeping both Eddie Jackson and Khalil Mack long-term. At least one has gotta go, and might as well rip that band-aid off sooner than later.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Trading away your entire core defensive personnel is not a rebuild? Okayyy
Trading?

What do you reckon Robert Quinn's current trade value is at? Who's gonna come calling to add him to their roster after the season he had?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Trading?

What do you reckon Robert Quinn's current trade value is at? Who's gonna come calling to add him to their roster after the season he had?
Trading/cutting, whatever. Your plan to get rid of the players you listed is a rebuild. I appreciate the correction, "trading" was not the word I should have used. I also appreciate the expert level deflection. And the horrible football take. 10/10.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Trading/cutting, whatever. Your plan to get rid of the players you listed is a rebuild. I appreciate the correction, "trading" was not the word I should have used. I also appreciate the expert level deflection. And the horrible football take. 10/10.
T-minus three posts til he's rambling about his kitchen remodel or all the friends he totally has.