CB to replace Trufant.
S.Gilmore
C.Harris
P.Peterson

SS to replace Gipson.
K.Neal
Q.Diggs
T.Gipson

I think Hicks can be replaced by Nichols and Edwards but if they do wanna get one then J.Allen would be a nice addition.

Still can't believe Pace signed Trevathan to that contract but would like to find a way to move on from him after this year.
I wish they had more flexibility because a player like Gilmore or Jones would make the defense nasty, but they just aren't realistic options if they plan on addressing the offense at all.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I wish they had more flexibility because a player like Gilmore or Jones would make the defense nasty, but they just aren't realistic options if they plan on addressing the offense at all.
Yep, Pace will have to keep up with good drafting to fill some of those positions and pay for the others in free agency.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm all about the 2nd tier market. The Bears aren't likely to get Godwin, Ramczyk, Scherff, etc. They are going to have to sign a WR and at least 1 OL. Hopefully, Robinson and Daniels prove to be worthy of re-signing to fill those needs. If not them, Robby Anderson , Michael Gallup, and Will Fuller would be my top targets at WR. On the OL, be nice if they can still sign Morgan Moses for 2-3 years. But if not, I'd probably target OTs in free agency and let Borom battle it out at RG. Eric Fisher, Braden Smith, and Brian O'Neill are some 2nd tier names that probably get 7-10M annually instead of 12+ like the top guys.

Other than that, I'm probably bargain shopping. How big those bargains are depend on how guys like Gipson, Vildor, Graham, etc. develop on defense. I don't think you need to do anything special across from Mack and Jackson, and hopefully the roster can be in a good enough place to where in 2023 you can use a 1st or 2nd round pick on another edge rusher to learn from and eventually replace Mack. Safety, I think you can bring a midround pick around slowly if Jackson plays like he should.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are kinda primed to tank hard in 2022 and blame Nagy.

Rebuild at CB, DE, LT for a couple years while Fields learns, and pick high.

Nagy gets his shot with Dalton, and if they make the playoffs he gets to stick around for it.

That's kind of the sense I'm getting, with Bears family smitten by Pace.

New ownership probably would end Pace as well.

I don't know if it's a fair shot for Nagy but it's a shot. If Roger's leaves its pretty fair.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Id like to see how the young players develop first. What looks like a need now might not be on next off-season.
Pretty much this. I'm fine with sitting out the marquee free agent market all together until the Bears are sure of what they have in Justin Fields.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Aren't both Ramczyk and Armstead FAs for NO? Will they be able to bring both back?
Most franchises I would say no way they keep them both but New Orleans is smart enough to know you don't let guys as good as those two walk.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
Pretty much this. I'm fine with sitting out the marquee free agent market all together until the Bears are sure of what they have in Justin Fields.
This thread is literally about next off-season not now so the bears literally have a whole season this season to assess what they have in Fields and if they don't assess Fields this season then I would agree with this but I would disagree with them not using this season to assess Fields if you are suggesting they don't but I will never understand why you'd suggest they won't.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Most franchises I would say no way they keep them both but New Orleans is smart enough to know you don't let guys as good as those two walk.
They have Armstead, Ramcyzk, both QBs (Winston, Taysom Hill), Marcus Williams, Lattimore, Trequan Smith all set to be FAs after this season and they have over 206M already committed to the 2022 cap. They kinda went crazy with void years. They pay Armstead 13M even if he's not there. They pay 16M+ combined for Hill, Winston, and Drew Brees.

That being said, I think they'll make it work with at least the 2 linemen. They'll probably have to restructure everyone left on the roster making big money (Kamara, Jordan, Thomas) and cut guys like Demario Davis, who has an 11M cap hit in 22 for some reason. Then they'll have to go 1st round QB to get some cheap production there. Then draft and sign cheap defenders.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
They have Armstead, Ramcyzk, both QBs (Winston, Taysom Hill), Marcus Williams, Lattimore, Trequan Smith all set to be FAs after this season and they have over 206M already committed to the 2022 cap. They kinda went crazy with void years. They pay Armstead 13M even if he's not there. They pay 16M+ combined for Hill, Winston, and Drew Brees.

That being said, I think they'll make it work with at least the 2 linemen. They'll probably have to restructure everyone left on the roster making big money (Kamara, Jordan, Thomas) and cut guys like Demario Davis, who has an 11M cap hit in 22 for some reason. Then they'll have to go 1st round QB to get some cheap production there. Then draft and sign cheap defenders.
What if Winston plays really well and could be their qb for the next decade? Getting a qb late rd 1 is going to be difficult. They might have a better chance getting a starting T cheap for a few years in an early rd.

I honestly think their O is going to be more explosive than it's been in a couple years.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
What if Winston plays really well and could be their qb for the next decade? Getting a qb late rd 1 is going to be difficult. They might have a better chance getting a starting T cheap for a few years in an early rd.

I honestly think their O is going to be more explosive than it's been in a couple years.
If Winston plays well, they have to pay him. And Winston playing well is the only way they get a late Rd 1 pick. I'm picking them to miss the playoffs right now because of Winston's history as a starter.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Have you taken a look at the Saints cap situation? There is no way they can bring both back, and if they're lucky, they can get back one of the 2

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Have you taken a look at the Saints cap situation? There is no way they can bring both back, and if they're lucky, they can get back one of the 2

Maybe, I'd certainly hope they can't do it. But smart franchises would be motivated to keep that pair in tact for as long as possible. The Saints aren't dummies.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

If their intention is to draft and develop a rookie quarterback then you better believe Sean Payton knows what ingredients that rookie will need.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or just all-together.

That works so rarely. I think when the rest of the league see's you have a legit QB that gives you a suoerbowl shot you tend to see opportunistic contract and agent inertia, prove it deals and veteran last hurrah's start to all flow toward you.

Especially for a marketable team like the Bears.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, that's a sour dish served cold in a bowl, probably the only one we are likely to see.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Or just all-together.

That works so rarely. I think when the rest of the league see's you have a legit QB that gives you a suoerbowl shot you tend to see opportunistic contract and agent inertia, prove it deals and veteran last hurrah's start to all flow toward you.

Especially for a marketable team like the Bears.
Tampa Bay grabbed Shaq Barrett a year before they got Brady and it worked out very well for them. They had to use the franchise tag to keep him around another year but he was certainly worth it.

Depends on the position. If the Bears want to splurge on guys they think might be elite contributors at offensive tackle or edge rusher I'm fine with it, but pouring money into wide receivers or linebackers would make me nauseous.