2022 NBA Playoffs Discussion

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
People are calling Tatum a superstar but he has his fair of dud games. A lot of poor shooting performances and high turnover games. Played badly in Game 1 and especially awful in Game 3 and nearly lost a series they had no business losing.

Marcus Smart called him and Brown out in the middle of the season for their selfish play. And that seemed to have sparked a change for their offense but they still have games that they look like crap on that end of the floor.
As people know, I have a stricter criteria than others for calling someone a superstar.

To me, Tatum has the talent to be a superstar, he just seems to have an inability to put it all together. For all of his G6 type performance, he'll put up a G3 type dud.

I watched him in person play against the Bulls at the UC, and while the Bulls played like shit, and certainly didn't need Tatum to do anything amazing, I wasn't impressed by Tatum one bit in that one particular game. I was more impressed with Jaylen Brown in that game.

Tatum's advanced metrics don't match up to anyone else we call a superstar. His PER is on the lower end, his fails to meet the others in BPM, WS/48. VORP is the only thing he's top 10 in this year. He has only one 3rd All-NBA team to his name, and I usually like guys who consistently get 1st or 2nd. He probably will get 1st or 2nd All-NBA this year though, but I also like to see two years of that.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's almost like you can have aberrations over the course of an 82 game season.
Numbers from box scores don't tell the whole story. I'd take Jimmy Butler over him right now. You don't get consistently smart play from Tatum. He has games where he settles for bad shots. Kobe Bryant's style but without a lot of the luster.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well those had to be the most anticlimactic Game 7's in NBA history.

However there will be a new NBA champion. The parity in the league is the best its ever been. So refreshing from the dark years that was a forgone conclusion that it would be Warriors vs Cavaliers before the season even started.
This is the 3rd year in a row that all teams in the Conference Finals didn't make the Conference Finals the year before. Prior to this 3 year stretch the only time this has happened since the ABA merger was 76-77, 2010-2011, and 2014-15. 2010-11, and 2014-15 probably only happened because LeBron switched teams.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As people know, I have a stricter criteria than others for calling someone a superstar.

To me, Tatum has the talent to be a superstar, he just seems to have an inability to put it all together. For all of his G6 type performance, he'll put up a G3 type dud.

I watched him in person play against the Bulls at the UC, and while the Bulls played like shit, and certainly didn't need Tatum to do anything amazing, I wasn't impressed by Tatum one bit in that one particular game. I was more impressed with Jaylen Brown in that game.

Tatum's advanced metrics don't match up to anyone else we call a superstar. His PER is on the lower end, his fails to meet the others in BPM, WS/48. VORP is the only thing he's top 10 in this year. He has only one 3rd All-NBA team to his name, and I usually like guys who consistently get 1st or 2nd. He probably will get 1st or 2nd All-NBA this year though, but I also like to see two years of that.
Yeah, and personally, I'd love to see one actual entire season without a lot of those dud games in which he looks like a liability, shooting his team out of games.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some random thoughts I had as the 2nd round came to a close:

• Some alluded to something similar to this... But, fair or unfair, seeing how well Memphis played without Ja not only against the Warriors, but throughout the regular season as well - I guarantee questions will pop up in the future if the Grizz struggle and people will ask if Ja really makes Memphis better. I think he does, but they questions will definitely be there.

• Sticking with Ja - he really needs to get a consistent jumper. If he manages that, he would be unstoppable.

• I picked GS to make it to the finals before the playoffs started, so I'm gonna continue riding with them.... but damn, they need to get it together if they stand a chance. Curry has been pretty cold all season (for his standards). Shoots 42.8% from 3 for his career, but was 38% this season and was a putrid 32.6% against Memphis. I understand Memphis should get credit for their defense, but in watching the games, Curry was missing shots he normally hits. Klay was also wildly inconsistent, missing wide open shots that he'd normally hit. If that continues and Dallas stays hot, it could get interesting. Still, I'll take GS in 6.

• Embiid isn't wrong, but, man... he might not be someone guys wanna play with if he keeps throwing dudes under the bus. Last year it was Simmons, this year it was Harden. Again, he's not wrong. Those guys came up small when the team needed them most... But, time and place...

• That brings me to Doc. I've long considered him one of the most overrated coached in the league. He was only put on the map because Danny Ainge pulled off trades for KG and Ray Allen. His teams regularly blow series leads and underachieve. And with how pathetic the 76ers were in terms of effort I feel like falls on him as well.

• I must have missed this at the time... but I thought Jimmy wanted to leave Philly. I didn't know they decided to pay Tobias Harris over him. What a fuck up that was.

• My respect has towards Spo has grown tremendously over the years. The way he's been able to help develop all these no name/late or undrafted players is insanely impressive.

• Like the Warriors, I picked Boston to make the Finals before the playoffs started. RW3 being out made/makes me nervous... but again, I'll stick with them over Miami in 7, maybe 6.

• Jayson Tatum is approaching superstardom. He used to be an inefficient ball hog, but he's become such a clutch player who also gets his team involved. I guess Jaylon Brown calling him out a couple of seasons ago worked.

• Very unfortunate for Milwaukee that Middleton was hurt. It looks like they could have made another finals run.

• I loved that the Suns lost because I don't like CP3. But I think this team's window has closed. CP isn't getting any younger, and now there are ton of questions on whether or not Ayton will be back. If they lose him, they don't have the cap to easily replace him without losing some of their depth. They may struggle to even make the 2nd round next season, I predict.

• Like Morant, if Doncic can become more consistent with his jump shot, and if he continues working on getting his team involved... he's going to be unstoppable on offense.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some random thoughts I had as the 2nd round came to a close:

• Some alluded to something similar to this... But, fair or unfair, seeing how well Memphis played without Ja not only against the Warriors, but throughout the regular season as well - I guarantee questions will pop up in the future if the Grizz struggle and people will ask if Ja really makes Memphis better. I think he does, but they questions will definitely be there.

• Sticking with Ja - he really needs to get a consistent jumper. If he manages that, he would be unstoppable.

• I picked GS to make it to the finals before the playoffs started, so I'm gonna continue riding with them.... but damn, they need to get it together if they stand a chance. Curry has been pretty cold all season (for his standards). Shoots 42.8% from 3 for his career, but was 38% this season and was a putrid 32.6% against Memphis. I understand Memphis should get credit for their defense, but in watching the games, Curry was missing shots he normally hits. Klay was also wildly inconsistent, missing wide open shots that he'd normally hit. If that continues and Dallas stays hot, it could get interesting. Still, I'll take GS in 6.

• Embiid isn't wrong, but, man... he might not be someone guys wanna play with if he keeps throwing dudes under the bus. Last year it was Simmons, this year it was Harden. Again, he's not wrong. Those guys came up small when the team needed them most... But, time and place...

• That brings me to Doc. I've long considered him one of the most overrated coached in the league. He was only put on the map because Danny Ainge pulled off trades for KG and Ray Allen. His teams regularly blow series leads and underachieve. And with how pathetic the 76ers were in terms of effort I feel like falls on him as well.

• I must have missed this at the time... but I thought Jimmy wanted to leave Philly. I didn't know they decided to pay Tobias Harris over him. What a fuck up that was.

• My respect has towards Spo has grown tremendously over the years. The way he's been able to help develop all these no name/late or undrafted players is insanely impressive.

• Like the Warriors, I picked Boston to make the Finals before the playoffs started. RW3 being out made/makes me nervous... but again, I'll stick with them over Miami in 7, maybe 6.

• Jayson Tatum is approaching superstardom. He used to be an inefficient ball hog, but he's become such a clutch player who also gets his team involved. I guess Jaylon Brown calling him out a couple of seasons ago worked.

• Very unfortunate for Milwaukee that Middleton was hurt. It looks like they could have made another finals run.

• I loved that the Suns lost because I don't like CP3. But I think this team's window has closed. CP isn't getting any younger, and now there are ton of questions on whether or not Ayton will be back. If they lose him, they don't have the cap to easily replace him without losing some of their depth. They may struggle to even make the 2nd round next season, I predict.

• Like Morant, if Doncic can become more consistent with his jump shot, and if he continues working on getting his team involved... he's going to be unstoppable on offense.
Ja:
I think he gives them a different dynamic that maxes out their ceiling but they often get too iso heavy with him. He doesn't exactly help their team defense either.

Warriors:
Even with Curry struggling, he still has a gravitational pull stretching the defense out because they know you can't leave him alone. 32.6% may be low these days by NBA standards but it's still at the same efficiency as shooting 49% from two-pt range. That is the value of the three-point shot.
I think Klay is starting to look like his old self except for the defensive end, and that could be a problem when Luka is going off on him. Or Butler/Herro/Tatum/Brown.

Embiid:
The whole public putting down of teammates is probably not the best policy. But some people make it work. Phil Jackson was a master of putting tidbits through the media to motivate his players.

Doc:
He needs a world class assistant coach to win (along with a lot of talent), like Thibodeau or Lue. He just doesn't make adjustments.

Butler/Philly:
It's hard to imagine that they don't win the East one or two times already had they kept Jimmy.

Spo:
Arguably the best coach in the NBA today. Plus, like me, he was born in Evanston so can't hate.

Celtics:
They will go as far as Tatum will take them. They can't afford another series where he shoots 30% with 5+ turnovers twice.

Bucks:
I have a feeling, healthy, they would have repeated.

CP3:
5 straight terrible games makes me think that he was really bothered by his quad. The guy has had some amazing playoff games over the last 2 years. I mean, the guy literally made 14/14 shots as a small, prototypical point guard. That's amazing. I'm not a fan of him personally but I respect the talent he has enough to get past that a bit. It would have been cool to see him win one. Booker, on the other hand, seems like a little bitch.

Luka:
I don't know how anyone can say he's not the best offensive player in the NBA at this point. The free throw shooting is the biggest thing that is a flaw on that end of the floor. I think he's a great shooter. .372 on 9.3 attempts/gm in 23 playoff games.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well Warriors completely dominated Dallas.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Warriors will steamroll to the championship
Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Though I'd like them to make it at least a little exciting to watch.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Kinda didn't think about GS being in the WCF when i said we'd have a new champion this year.

I'd rather see Jimmy or Luka win the championship than Warriors steamrolling.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kinda didn't think about GS being in the WCF when i said we'd have a new champion this year.

I'd rather see Jimmy or Luka win the championship than Warriors steamrolling.
By new champion, do you mean new core of players, because every team left has won a ship before... however Dallas/Miami/Boston.. their cores haven't won any ships.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
By new champion, do you mean new core of players, because every team left has won a ship before... however Dallas/Miami/Boston.. their cores haven't won any ships.
Yes that is what i mean. Last year it was refreshing not to have LeBron or the Warriors there.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Guess Jimmy Butler won't be sweeping the Celtics.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
These conference finals have been brutal this far

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
These conference finals have been brutal this far
I've watched very little. I checked the box score of MIA-BOS in the 3rd Q and saw Boston was up by 25 and said.. nah.. I did check here and there to see if Miami pulled closer, but never really did. Same with GSW-DAL the other night.

Maybe they'll give us a good game somewhere along the way lol.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I've watched very little. I checked the box score of MIA-BOS in the 3rd Q and saw Boston was up by 25 and said.. nah.. I did check here and there to see if Miami pulled closer, but never really did. Same with GSW-DAL the other night.

Maybe they'll give us a good game somewhere along the way lol.
Same. I haven’t been invested or watched many games in general these playoffs. Other than maybe a couple games, hasn’t seemed very interesting this year. Hoping for a competitive game tonight

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So without smart the Celtics get beat by 11. With smart, and his near triple double, they win by 25. But yet, people still don’t like the guy.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
And right on cue, the warriors rip the Mavs hearts out. Mavs had 72 points at the half and finish with only 117. Mavs waste 42 from luka and 31 from Brunson

And Curry is now 9/19 from 3 in this series, looking a lot better than the last series…almost as if it was actually good defense being played on him by the Grizz

Enasic

Liked Posts:
So without smart the Celtics get beat by 11. With smart, and his near triple double, they win by 25. But yet, people still don’t like the guy.
Do people not like smart on here? I wasn’t aware of that. Always a good idea to judge impact off one game though lol…remember when Caruso came back initially and the bulls looked good again? Ah…that was fun but short lived