2022 Playoffs First round: Bulls vs. Bucks (IST)

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's a twofold issue. Bucks defense is very good, Bulls are also very bad. They compound each other and the result is the Bulls look like a team that should be vying for a top 5 pick.
Yes, agreed. Again though, the bulls missed a ton of open looks too. It’s pretty clear the level of shooting on this team needs a significant upgrade. The bulls being bad is a part of it, but they shouldn’t be missing open corner 3’s at the rate they do.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, agreed. Again though, the bulls missed a ton of open looks too. It’s pretty clear the level of shooting on this team needs a significant upgrade. The bulls being bad is a part of it, but they shouldn’t be missing open corner 3’s at the rate they do.
I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you. Bulls are missing open shots because they are bad at shooting. So, the reasonable thought is that they should get better shooters.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
So let’s see…bulls need more shooting, more size, and better defenders. Could also use someone who can penetrate and finish in traffic…a better coach would help too. Anything else?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So let’s see…bulls need more shooting, more size, and better defenders. Could also use someone who can penetrate and finish in traffic…a better coach would help too. Anything else?
Screw it, blow it up and start over from scratch

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you. Bulls are missing open shots because they are bad at shooting. So, the reasonable thought is that they should get better shooters.
Except the bulls were #1 in 3 point % this past regular season, I believe. So in theory, they aren’t bad shooters…until forced to increase the volume it seems lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Except the bulls were #1 in 3 point % this past regular season, I believe. So in theory, they aren’t bad shooters…until forced to increase the volume it seems lol
That's kind of the kicker though isn't it? Really high percentage on low volume, really low percentage on high volume. What's up with that?

Based on the eye test I don't really trust anyone outside of Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso, and Zach Lavine to hit 3s with consistency. I do believe other players on the team could be better than they have been in the playoffs, guys like Patrick Williams, Vucevic, heck Coby White (apparently he was 38.5% from 3 in the regular season).

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That's kind of the kicker though isn't it? Really high percentage on low volume, really low percentage on high volume. What's up with that?

Based on the eye test I don't really trust anyone outside of Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso, and Zach Lavine to hit 3s with consistency. I do believe other players on the team could be better than they have been in the playoffs, guys like Patrick Williams, Vucevic, heck Coby White (apparently he was 38.5% from 3 in the regular season).

I can see Patrick developing into a reliable 3 point shooter. I don’t feel that way about Vuc or Coby, they are both extremely streaky from 3. It’s why Coby had a 38.5% shooting from 3 but nobody here trusts him to shoot…he had that one month or so when he shot it at a blistering rate but nothing outside of that time period really

Vuc, I just feel it’s helping the opposing team anytime he shoots a 3 as opposed to him shooting in the paint.

Even Caruso is pretty streaky from 3. The only really consistent threats are ZL and Lonzo. Bulls gotta add to that this offseason because whether you like it or not, the 3 point shot is the most important shot in basketball now(I for one hate it, but I also like to win lol).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can see Patrick developing into a reliable 3 point shooter. I don’t feel that way about Vuc or Coby, they are both extremely streaky from 3. It’s why Coby had a 38.5% shooting from 3 but nobody here trusts him to shoot…he had that one month or so when he shot it at a blistering rate but nothing outside of that time period really

Vuc, I just feel it’s helping the opposing team anytime he shoots a 3 as opposed to him shooting in the paint.

Even Caruso is pretty streaky from 3. The only really consistent threats are ZL and Lonzo. Bulls gotta add to that this offseason because whether you like it or not, the 3 point shot is the most important shot in basketball now(I for one hate it, but I also like to win lol).
Right, so for intents and purposes, when it matters the Bulls are bad at shooting (generally speaking). They absolutely should prioritize improving that with their roster updates, but I think it also matters to invest in coaching those who are staying. Else we have to just hope Patrick Williams and others just get better of their own accord, which may certainly happen, but no reason not to give them additional resources during the season.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Tank for five #1 picks.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Right, so for intents and purposes, when it matters the Bulls are bad at shooting (generally speaking). They absolutely should prioritize improving that with their roster updates, but I think it also matters to invest in coaching those who are staying. Else we have to just hope Patrick Williams and others just get better of their own accord, which may certainly happen, but no reason not to give them additional resources during the season.
100% agree. I would of figured the bulls already had such infrastructure in place, I could be mistaken in assuming such a thing

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Tank for five #1 picks.
Right now they kind of remind me of the early years when pax became GM. He turned the team around from a laughing stock to a solid playoff team, albeit one that had no chance. If the Bulls didn’t completely luck into D. Rose, they likely would have remained a 40-45 win team until pax got fired

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Right now they kind of remind me of the early years when pax became GM. He turned the team around from a laughing stock to a solid playoff team, albeit one that had no chance. If the Bulls didn’t completely luck into D. Rose, they likely would have remained a 40-45 win team until pax got fired
From 2008 and prior, Pax had a habit and drafting guys that at least went to the Final Four (Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Tyrus, Noah were all at least in the Final Four the years they were drafted, Rose was too, but that one is more by accident).

If, the Bulls didn't move up to #1 in the lottery, they were picking #9. Players picked around there in reality were DJ Augstin (the actual #9 pick), Brook Lopez, Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson ,Brandon Rush.

Only Brandon Rush made the Final Four of that group, so if Paxson sticks to this philosophy here, that's your pick. If he doesn't, it's probably Augustin, unless he gets creative and makes a trade (unlikely).

So yeah, the Bulls dither and go about dysfunctional as a 35-45 win team, as you pretty much say. You say Paxson is gonna get fired. You know how many GMs Jerry Reinsdorf has fired? None. What likely happens is Paxson himself exits by 2011-12, like he tried to do in our reality (That's how Gar Forman got the power he did).

But instead, after a crappy 07-08, the Bulls lucked into #1, which is often how these stories go. Teams just luck into something and that's how they become title contenders. Teams that don't luck into these things, stay terrible. Some of it is scouting, having a good GM, etc, but in the end, a lot of it is just plain luck.

But that is how I was kind of viewing this season going in, as a 2004-05 type season. Instead we somehow bolted to the top of the East and looked really competitive at times. In the end, we finished a little worse than the 04-05 Bulls.

I don't see next year being a whole lot different with minor changes to be honest. Yes, some three and D guys would be nice, but every team in the league is hunting for those. Obviously we need some more size too, another thing many in the league are hunting for. So making minor improvements is not easy. I also argue it doesn't change much in the end, as DeMar, Zach, and Vuc aren't leading you to any championships as a core. In the end, they'll always be defeated by the greats of the league.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So they’re in nba hell like I said after last offseason. Jerry would be thrilled to just be a perennial playoff team success in playoffs would just be gravy for him and the investors. He’s a shitty ass owner

Enasic

Liked Posts:
From 2008 and prior, Pax had a habit and drafting guys that at least went to the Final Four (Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Tyrus, Noah were all at least in the Final Four the years they were drafted, Rose was too, but that one is more by accident).

If, the Bulls didn't move up to #1 in the lottery, they were picking #9. Players picked around there in reality were DJ Augstin (the actual #9 pick), Brook Lopez, Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson ,Brandon Rush.

Only Brandon Rush made the Final Four of that group, so if Paxson sticks to this philosophy here, that's your pick. If he doesn't, it's probably Augustin, unless he gets creative and makes a trade (unlikely).

So yeah, the Bulls dither and go about dysfunctional as a 35-45 win team, as you pretty much say. You say Paxson is gonna get fired. You know how many GMs Jerry Reinsdorf has fired? None. What likely happens is Paxson himself exits by 2011-12, like he tried to do in our reality (That's how Gar Forman got the power he did).

But instead, after a crappy 07-08, the Bulls lucked into #1, which is often how these stories go. Teams just luck into something and that's how they become title contenders. Teams that don't luck into these things, stay terrible. Some of it is scouting, having a good GM, etc, but in the end, a lot of it is just plain luck.

But that is how I was kind of viewing this season going in, as a 2004-05 type season. Instead we somehow bolted to the top of the East and looked really competitive at times. In the end, we finished a little worse than the 04-05 Bulls.

I don't see next year being a whole lot different with minor changes to be honest. Yes, some three and D guys would be nice, but every team in the league is hunting for those. Obviously we need some more size too, another thing many in the league are hunting for. So making minor improvements is not easy. I also argue it doesn't change much in the end, as DeMar, Zach, and Vuc aren't leading you to any championships as a core. In the end, they'll always be defeated by the greats of the league.
AKME is going to have to get creative…and lucky as you eluded to. I agree that some minor tweaks aren’t going to change anything as far as competing with the big boys

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So they’re in nba hell like I said after last offseason. Jerry would be thrilled to just be a perennial playoff team success in playoffs would just be gravy for him and the investors. He’s a shitty ass owner
For one, this team has been garbage for years, and for the most part dysfunctional since 2014-15. Many argue that 2014-15 team played well below its potential as well.

I didn't mind the moves this past off-season at all to get competitive again. What you don't want is 3-4 years of 1st round exits while having nothing in store for major improvements. You don't want to be like the Skiles Bulls or end up like the Ernie Grunfeld Washington Wizards. Frankly if we're going to do three years of 1st round exits, I'd like to blow it up after the 3rd year and start over. Have a bad season or two to get good lotto picks and then hopefully hit on those picks.

But in the immediate, as Enasic alludes to, AKME has to get creative in his improvements. Frankly, he may be quite limited in what he can do this particular off-season, so I'm not expecting a whole lot other than attempts at minor changes. I think we'll go into another season with DeMar-Zach-Vuc-Ball. Ideally, PWill shows some sort of step up, and Ayo continues to develop. Isn't going to win us any championships, but maybe we can see a 1st round win or something.

That's of course assuming that the way they finished the end of this season isn't some kind of bad chemistry/beef/personalities meshing poorly kind of thing that will linger into next season.

Also, in the end, I don't think Jerry really thinks the way you do towards him. Also, Jerry is essentially a figurehead at this point and not really involved in the team as he was in the past. He's handed everything over to his son.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If bulls make the minor changes needed, they can absolutely compete with a core of ZL, demar, ball, and Vuc IMO

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If bulls make the minor changes needed, they can absolutely compete with a core of ZL, demar, ball, and Vuc IMO
Tbh, the bulls should be competitive now. They certainly shouldn’t be getting their ass handed to them on the regular. I’m not sure how some minor changes fixes much of anything

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If by competitive you mean that they should be playing like the Pelicans or the Raptors are in their respective series right now...yes the Bulls should be competitive now and should be competitive with minor tweaks. And that's because this core is underperforming, at least based on perception. Maybe they really just suck and can't win and if that's the case, at least we had a fun half season of highlights.

However if by competitive you mean competing for a chance to win the Finals? Nope, this core doesn't have it. Very few select teams can put themselves into that championship contender discussion and even fewer of those teams really have a shot compared to the others.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Tbh, the bulls should be competitive now. They certainly shouldn’t be getting their ass handed to them on the regular. I’m not sure how some minor changes fixes much of anything
Minor changes absolutely make a difference. You add players that actually rotate defensively and have high basketball IQ, and all of a sudden those breakdowns stop happening. The easy baskets for opponents lessen

Look at a guy like Jae Crowder. The stats don’t jump out as much of anything special. Yet, he’s always on winning, contending teams it seems. Is that just he’s been lucky with where he’s ended up? Perhaps. But, I’d say there’s more than likely a reason why his teams are contending. He brings a winning brand of basketball with him. He knows his role and he does it well. You don’t need 5 all stars to win a title, you don’t need a bunch of scorers to win a title. You need guys that are the right piece to a puzzle

I still believe this is a totally different team with a healthy Lonzo Ball. Not saying they win it all this year or anything if he had stayed healthy, but they certainly wouldn’t be getting punked nightly like this