2023 - Top 100 Free Agents w/salary projections

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It actually is. I’ll try to find the breakdown for you. He wants to move his boundary inside on third downs. It is a major reason why Gordon was such a prize for them.
The nickel plays 80% of snaps, if that's the case it's pretty stupid in a league becoming more and more specialized.

And Gordon was not good at nickel. If you have a player like Kenny Moore, fine, but trying to fit someone into that role who isn't suited for it is stupid.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This isn't accurate, and not part of a scheme anyway.

It isnt a formal part of the scheme but it is something Flus has advocated to the point he seems to want his best CB to play nickel. He has talked about nickel being QB of the D and how offenses are putting best WR in the slot more and more.

The nickel plays 80% of snaps, if that's the case it's pretty stupid in a league becoming more and more specialized.

And Gordon was not good at nickel.

His grade for the whole year wasnt good at nickel or outside.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

And Gordon was not good at nickel.
Uhm, no. Gordon was a very good rookie learning a complicated new position. He came on strong as he adapted.

As far as Eberflus is concerned , it is actually a way to keep your best CB in a position of strength: move the boundary starter in and let the weaker CB off the bench play Zone on the boundary. It is crucial that they have a talented CB that can movie inside and out. So, you’re right when you say we need a boundary, but more of a true zone boundary CB.

It’s pretty bad myth that Gordon had a bad year. He had a rookie year with growing pains, sure, but bad, nah.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Uhm, no. Gordon was a very good rookie learning a complicated new position. He came on strong as he adapted.

As far as Eberflus is concerned , it is actually a way to keep your best CB in a position of strength: move the boundary starter in and let the weaker CB off the bench play Zone on the boundary. It is crucial that they have a talented CB that can movie inside and out. So, you’re right when you say we need a boundary, but more of a true zone boundary CB.

It’s pretty bad myth that Gordon had a bad year. He had a rookie year with growing pains, sure, but bad, nah.

I mean statistically it was bad but that was that was due in part to a horrific pass rush. Nickel is much harder to play than outside CB without a pass rush as receiver has more options to beat you.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

He was bad at nickel. Very bad. Everyone saw it. He came on much more when he wasn't playing in the slot.

I understand if you have someone who can do both, but it's ridiculous to try to fit someone into a role like that when you have three CBs on the field 81% of the time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"Matt Eberflus arrived in Chicago as a heralded defensive coordinator who led some of the NFL's best units while with the Indianapolis Colts. Eberflus' scheme requires three components to work at optimum capacity: a disruptive three-technique, a ball-productive WILL linebacker, and a do-it-all nickel corner."

The Bears are not going to put their 3rd best CB at nickel. So the reality is unless there is a CB that Flus thinks is better Gordon will likely play nickel again.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
"Matt Eberflus arrived in Chicago as a heralded defensive coordinator who led some of the NFL's best units while with the Indianapolis Colts. Eberflus' scheme requires three components to work at optimum capacity: a disruptive three-technique, a ball-productive WILL linebacker, and a do-it-all nickel corner."

The Bears are not going to put their 3rd best CB at nickel. So the reality is unless there is a CB that Flus thinks is better Gordon will likely play nickel again.
Yes, I've read that.

If Gordon is the slot again, and he doesn't improve, it's going to be a position of weakness.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, I've read that.

If Gordon is the slot again, and he doesn't improve, it's going to be a position of weakness.
Well he has to improve all around as his coverage grades were poor all around particularly in man. But again think a lot of that boils down to pass rush.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Well he has to improve all around as his coverage grades were poor all around particularly in man. But again think a lot of that boils down to pass rush.
If pff was useful, wouldn't it be able to judge a DB independently of the pass rush?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Did someone say Brian Branch?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I agree. He doesn't have the speed for a corner but I think that he's going to be good in the slot. He's got a good instincts for a rookie.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Geno Smith at 37.5 mil per year and Daniel Jones for 40 mil a year makes me puke. Both had mediocre years which were preceded by otherwise disappointing careers.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I agree. He doesn't have the speed for a corner but I think that he's going to be good in the slot. He's got a good instincts for a rookie.
Well he was bad in the slot last year but like some have said, we had zero pass rush so he deserves another shot. Just hope we have a good 2nd for NB on the team just in case. The best thing Gordon showed last year is his tackling. He's not afraid to make the big hit.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
hurst? hooper? geisiki? schutlz? engram? who fits?