2023 trade season

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
We're getting to june so rumors are gonna start heating up. Looking like cubs are gonna be sellers again. Bellinger would be the most obvious piece. I think they probably should also consider listening to offers on Wisdom. He's almost 32 and while he has a bunch of control still left... Feel like they would be better served going with someone younger like Morel. Pitching is also interesting with Stroman and Smyly both having player options and Hendricks having a vesting option. Smyly is a guy i could see them dangling but feel like they'd probably like to re-sign Stroman to a longer deal. Hendricks also if he gets back to semi-old ways wouldn't be a terrible #3 vet behind Stroman and Steele. Only reliever who really would make any sense to listen on would be Mark Leiter Jr. but even then he's got a lot of control left so it would need to be an Effross like trade.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
We're getting to june so rumors are gonna start heating up. Looking like cubs are gonna be sellers again. Bellinger would be the most obvious piece. I think they probably should also consider listening to offers on Wisdom. He's almost 32 and while he has a bunch of control still left... Feel like they would be better served going with someone younger like Morel. Pitching is also interesting with Stroman and Smyly both having player options and Hendricks having a vesting option. Smyly is a guy i could see them dangling but feel like they'd probably like to re-sign Stroman to a longer deal. Hendricks also if he gets back to semi-old ways wouldn't be a terrible #3 vet behind Stroman and Steele. Only reliever who really would make any sense to listen on would be Mark Leiter Jr. but even then he's got a lot of control left so it would need to be an Effross like trade.
Agreed on everything. I’d just add that, while I’m sure the cubs wouldn’t hate to resign stroman, I think they will absolutely listen to offers for him and likely accept the best one because they’d rather get something for him than have him opt out and get nothing but a comp pick for him

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
If anyone calls about Hendricks or Wisdom Hoyer should run to the phone.

Whether dealing Stroman is a smart move or not it's gonna look like giving the fans a big middle finger.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think we can be both buyers and sellers this year. We should be buying young prospects at the major league level with multiple years of control. We should also kick the tires on trading for Ohtani is Anaheim is out of it, Getting him on the team would be cheap prospect wise and would give us the leg up to resign him to that 10 year $500 million contract.

On the sell side, we can offload Wisdom and Hendricks for sure, but I would keep Bellinger as he can be an MVP claiber player still.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I think we can be both buyers and sellers this year. We should be buying young prospects at the major league level with multiple years of control. We should also kick the tires on trading for Ohtani is Anaheim is out of it, Getting him on the team would be cheap prospect wise and would give us the leg up to resign him to that 10 year $500 million contract.

On the sell side, we can offload Wisdom and Hendricks for sure, but I would keep Bellinger as he can be an MVP claiber player still.
Why would ohtani be cheap prospect wise? If they want to keep bellinger they should see if they can extend him before the deadline, otherwise trade him and talk to him again in FA. Wisdom probably still has no value. Hendricks value is at an all time low, but hopefully he can put together a good month before the deadline

TL1961

Liked Posts:

How on earth would acquiring Ohtani at the trade deadline be cheap prospect wise??

If LAA trades him, they will get an enormous haul.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Cub's GM is not particularly good at his job....he vowed to make "intelligent signings", right? Hosmer cut, Mancini awful, Fulmer a step below awful and while Bellinger has looked ok, is hurt once again. And don't forget the Cub's soon to be $68 million long releiver, Taillon. After watching him play daily, I admit I was wrong about Swanson....not sure he's better than Bogaerts but at least Hoyer got something right.
Now anyone with a lick of sense knows he's still rebuilding and just buying time for the franchise but really, "intelligent signings"?

Not buying it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How on earth would acquiring Ohtani at the trade deadline be cheap prospect wise??

If LAA trades him, they will get an enormous haul.
I dont know about enormous. He is going to command the biggest contract in baseball history. You are getting half a season and then taking your chances. A haul, sure, enormous? Im not sure on that but its all about who offers what

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I dont know about enormous. He is going to command the biggest contract in baseball history. You are getting half a season and then taking your chances. A haul, sure, enormous? Im not sure on that but its all about who offers what
Yeah you get it. Half a season players only get 1-2 top prospects typically.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Cub's GM is not particularly good at his job....he vowed to make "intelligent signings", right? Hosmer cut, Mancini awful, Fulmer a step below awful and while Bellinger has looked ok, is hurt once again. And don't forget the Cub's soon to be $68 million long releiver, Taillon. After watching him play daily, I admit I was wrong about Swanson....not sure he's better than Bogaerts but at least Hoyer got something right.
Now anyone with a lick of sense knows he's still rebuilding and just buying time for the franchise but really, "intelligent signings"?

Not buying it.
Those are intelligent signings because they are one year deals you can get out of. We all know the signings were high risk high reward type deals. Taillon is struggling indeed, but he is also working on a new pitch and delivery, and I believe that is why his walk rate is up. Once he gets used to both we should see a better pitcher than what we saw with the Yanks.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, "enormous" may be overstating it, I will agree. But it won't be "cheap" as suggested.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
0 chance I'd trade any top prospects as a non contending team for a guy that will almost certainly test FA
Its tricky. You think the Cubs could be a landing spot for him in FA based on his relationship with Suzuki and the Cubs will have lots of money.

But, I probably wouldnt trade for him and take my chances in FA.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its tricky. You think the Cubs could be a landing spot for him in FA based on his relationship with Suzuki and the Cubs will have lots of money.

Makes sense. You're gonna have to pay him big bucks one way or another...might as well eliminate the asset loss a trade would bring about and just roll the dice in FA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Would rather use those assets towards Stro and Bellenger.

He has not taken the Halios to the next level. So until the core is stable it makes little sense

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Makes sense. You're gonna have to pay him big bucks one way or another...might as well eliminate the asset loss a trade would bring about and just roll the dice in FA.
Exactly.

The idea of trading prospects for a free agent to be in hopes of signing him might sound good to fans, but when does that ever actually happen?

And this is a unique situation and monstrous contract numbers are being speculated. Does anyone really believe Ohtani is going to sign a contract without testing free agency?

His agent would not look good.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

FWIW he also apparently had chicago on his finalist list when he originally signed. Not sure how much that plays into things but probably not the worst look

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It's hard to figure (as are so many FA signings).

Will a top FA make a decision based on one person he knows being on the team courting him?

With what is projected to be the highest contract ever given, will it come down to something like that? Can we name one situation where a FA signed because of a friend on a team? Do any of us work with our best friends?

Harper and Bryant didn't end up on the same team. Nor Lindor and Baez.

If Ohtani picks a team with a "friend", St. Louis and Lard Nootbar are a better choice for contending in the near future.

I'd like to see him in a Cubs uniform, but trading prospects to get him is interesting. If you ultimately sign him and they are prospects he will block, the cost isn't so high. But you're trading them before you sign him, so it's still very risky.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's hard to figure (as are so many FA signings).

Will a top FA make a decision based on one person he knows being on the team courting him?

With what is projected to be the highest contract ever given, will it come down to something like that? Can we name one situation where a FA signed because of a friend on a team? Do any of us work with our best friends?

Harper and Bryant didn't end up on the same team. Nor Lindor and Baez.

If Ohtani picks a team with a "friend", St. Louis and Lard Nootbar are a better choice for contending in the near future.

I'd like to see him in a Cubs uniform, but trading prospects to get him is interesting. If you ultimately sign him and they are prospects he will block, the cost isn't so high. But you're trading them before you sign him, so it's still very risky.

Jed should only trade this year if he is in contention.