2023 trade season

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bryant was the league MVP. That’s not mediocre.

You’re talking D only? I am talking all around play. Madrigal, especially considering D (which is certainly not at Bryant’s level), is mediocre at best.

If talking, D only, mediocre, may not kill you, but mediocre or worse D, combined with a complete lack of power and run production will kill you.
Since when are you not talking about D? I also made reference to needing power elsewhere. And MVP or not, Bryant was not a good defender.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Deadhead Jed still hitting the dumpsters.....

I'm surprised our guy JS didn't run this one on the feed reading....

Cubs sign All-Star Closer

He was an All-Star once.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Since when are you not talking about D? I also made reference to needing power elsewhere. And MVP or not, Bryant was not a good defender.
I made the comment that "If Madrigal is your every day 3rd baseman you are in a world of hurt."

Everyday 3rd basemen play D and provide offense. Generally, they produce runs. It's about way more than D, but even Madrigal's D s subpar.

I am not arguing that Kris Bryant was a star defender. (I am not focusing on D alone.) But it is fact that Bryant was literally league MVP the year you said he is mediocre.

Nick Madrigal's ceiling is not remotely close to what Bryant produced as a Cub, even after he fell off later on.

But leave Bryant out of it. The point was, and remains, that Nick Madrigal as an everyday 3rd baseman would be among the league's worst when one considers all aspects of his game.

Does Madrigal have a role as a pinch hitter, or utility guy? I suppose. But he would pale in comparison to avergage 3rd basemen around the league.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Looking through stats earlier and something stood out to me. Cubs have 4 pretty good pitchers by stats by stats though I'm not sure Hendricks is as good as his ERA suggests. Regardless, what stood out to me was both Steele and Stroman are pretty high ground ball rate guys and with the cubs investing pretty heavy on defense with Dansby/Nico in the middle infield I actually expect to see the cubs extend stroman. Steele is #8 in the majors in groundball rate and stroman is #2. Not a ton of guys out there with that skillset. There's only like 20ish guys with 45%+ ground ball rates and Stroman is at 59.3%(56.9% for career)

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs played their best ball for a couple of weeks and still never made it to .500. Now they are back to being a subaverage team. They selling or buying?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs played their best ball for a couple of weeks and still never made it to .500. Now they are back to being a subaverage team. They selling or buying?

Sell.

Cubs lost to a +.500 team. Beating up a sub today.

I would think it is obvious to some that this is a middleling team that plays up more when a top of the rotation like Steele or Stroman is on the hill.

So I see it as Jed needs to sell short term control if he can not get a deal made.

By Jed's track record he will spend on a player if he feels that he is paying equal value to production vs over paying for the same production.

Stro is a interesting case. I would lean to sell as his value is peaking. But on the flip side he is a guy that you want going forward.

But as a betting man. I see the Cubs being a .500 team right now. The pen and the bottom of the rotation are not a play off quality unit.

3B is a Jerry rig job and a weakness going into a series.

So in view of this. Too many issues. The farm is not ready to fill those issues. And I doubt Jed off loads in a all in move for a sub .500 team.

So money is on Jed doing a sit down with Bellenger and Stro. Give them a fair market offer. If they opt to test the waters then go into sell mode.

At this moment they have a starter quality CF sitting in AA and a impact SP at AAA. All those deals do is open opportunity for movement. Brown to the rotation and PCA to Iowa and a cup in Sept.

If they get a MLR 3B and some pen depth in return it is worth it. If he gets them to extend it is also good

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sell.

Cubs lost to a +.500 team. Beating up a sub today.

I would think it is obvious to some that this is a middleling team that plays up more when a top of the rotation like Steele or Stroman is on the hill.

So I see it as Jed needs to sell short term control if he can not get a deal made.

By Jed's track record he will spend on a player if he feels that he is paying equal value to production vs over paying for the same production.

Stro is a interesting case. I would lean to sell as his value is peaking. But on the flip side he is a guy that you want going forward.

But as a betting man. I see the Cubs being a .500 team right now. The pen and the bottom of the rotation are not a play off quality unit.

3B is a Jerry rig job and a weakness going into a series.

So in view of this. Too many issues. The farm is not ready to fill those issues. And I doubt Jed off loads in a all in move for a sub .500 team.

So money is on Jed doing a sit down with Bellenger and Stro. Give them a fair market offer. If they opt to test the waters then go into sell mode.

At this moment they have a starter quality CF sitting in AA and a impact SP at AAA. All those deals do is open opportunity for movement. Brown to the rotation and PCA to Iowa and a cup in Sept.

If they get a MLR 3B and some pen depth in return it is worth it. If he gets them to extend it is also good

Thanks for the headline news. I've only been saying that for over 2 months.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is fair. I've only been on this site about 5 times over the last month and I don't back log.

This guy made this article. I'm not against trading for the player as it is a good value deal if Jed decides to retain and add. I don't see anything outside of Max Scherzer and Othani while draining the whole system as fixing this year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't really see the point in Candelario personally. He's fine as a player but cubs aren't ready to compete and he's already hitting the downside of his career. I could get a bit more on board with it if he was more of an impact but a 120ish wRC+ is just like... decent starter. I'd rather they give Morel a shot to hold down third. Morel's upside is much higher and while he's far from a finished product, it's going to be difficult otherwise to find a spot for him to play. Happ and Suzki are 2 long term pieces in the OF with PCA slotted in at center. Nico/Dansby cover the MI so that leaves DH and 3B.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't really see the point in Candelario personally. He's fine as a player but cubs aren't ready to compete and he's already hitting the downside of his career. I could get a bit more on board with it if he was more of an impact but a 120ish wRC+ is just like... decent starter. I'd rather they give Morel a shot to hold down third. Morel's upside is much higher and while he's far from a finished product, it's going to be difficult otherwise to find a spot for him to play. Happ and Suzki are 2 long term pieces in the OF with PCA slotted in at center. Nico/Dansby cover the MI so that leaves DH and 3B.

I'm not arguing against Morel. He fits the box if he can play D at a even level and keep his BA above .280. you know that he will strike out and not walk much. What matters is getting the ball to fall in or rocket out

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I made the comment that "If Madrigal is your every day 3rd baseman you are in a world of hurt."

Everyday 3rd basemen play D and provide offense. Generally, they produce runs. It's about way more than D, but even Madrigal's D s subpar.

I am not arguing that Kris Bryant was a star defender. (I am not focusing on D alone.) But it is fact that Bryant was literally league MVP the year you said he is mediocre.

Nick Madrigal's ceiling is not remotely close to what Bryant produced as a Cub, even after he fell off later on.

But leave Bryant out of it. The point was, and remains, that Nick Madrigal as an everyday 3rd baseman would be among the league's worst when one considers all aspects of his game.

Does Madrigal have a role as a pinch hitter, or utility guy? I suppose. But he would pale in comparison to avergage 3rd basemen around the league.

I kind of believe that they were showcasing Mad at third base to show his ability to play the position to increase his trade value. I see him as a toss in to get a better return