208 Mil Salary Cap Next Year

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Look at Tua with the Dolphins. It was a difficult developing him. He was benched multiple times, but now the game is slowing down for him. How about Josh Allen? It’s not easy developing young QBs, especially if the team is devoid of offensive talent like the Bears. Until the Oline is solidified, the Receivers can catch, and there is a good coach who maximizes Fields abilities, this offense is going to struggle.

Nagy is just a real horrible HC and Pace is a really bad GM. That’s all there’s to it.
Idk about Tua. The last few games I saw he looked pretty bad. Maybe he's better but I haven't watched the Dolphins recently.

Josh Allen is good, but he still seems to have accuracy issues with games I've seen.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Ok, so your saying the Bears won't try to compete next year then?
They won’t say that. But reality I don’t see them being better then this year. Defense continues to age and lose players, oline stinks, one wr on the roster. All signs point to rebuild

Canth

Liked Posts:
Based on his actual usage, not cutting Graham this past offseason was a ridiculously stupid move. That is $9 million in cap space they could have used elsewhere (offensive line or DB's).

The future is Fields. They have to do whatever is needed to give him the support to flourish at the NFL level. So, as bad as the secondary is, I don't see how they can spend the little draft capital they have to get a new starting CB. I think they are going to need to spend the 2nd and 3rd round picks on offense to find wide receiver(s) and more offensive linemen.

They need to move on from both Whitehair and Mustipher. I would prioritize keeping Daniels over Whitehair. There is still an open question mark at LT. You cannot possibly think to run with Peters being a year older and we still have no idea what the long term health outlook, let alone skill outlook, is for Jenkins.

The defense is going to be even worse next year as well as I don't see how you bring back Hicks. I love the guy, but there is no way they can bring him back as a FA as I assume he will want more then veteran minimum plus some incentives. The secondary is a mess with basically no depth and no way to obtain that serviceable depth due to the resources that need to be spent building the offense. Can they even afford to bring back Bilol? What will he command on the open market?

Canth

Liked Posts:

Every NFL team will try to compete. Even the Lions will -try- to compete each year. And if you have a QB, then you have a chance to compete year in and year out - I think Watson showed that in Houston and I would say Luck showed that in Indy. That even with really bad rosters, if you have a QB, then you can compete.

Now, a realistic post season run needs more than just a qb or you need a true generational QB that can carry an entire team. I don't expect the Bears to be in a position to make a realistic post season run in 2022. There are just too many holes they need to fill and not enough resources available to fill them. However, they do have enough resources to compete in 2022 and to set-up for a realistic postseason run in 2023. Rosters turn over a lot in the NFL and you can make a lot of quick turn arounds as long as you don't make too many bad long term roster decisions - which is why Pace needs to be gone. He will make more bad roster decisions and/or burn resources (ie trades and trade-ups, bad cap contracts) to show progress in 2022 vs starting over fully in 2022, competing, and being well positioned for 2023.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The Bears are 2 years away from seriously competing (vs 20 years for the lions).

It makes no sense for the Bears to spend next year on anything other than offensive line and safety. With what the Bears still have, they can field a competitive team - it just will be a very thin one that won't be able to weather injury very well.

Besides, as I said before, you don't want to get your top CB or WR from free agency unless the situation is unique. You are better off drafting those - both financially, and in terms of top end talent.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every NFL team will try to compete. Even the Lions will -try- to compete each year. And if you have a QB, then you have a chance to compete year in and year out - I think Watson showed that in Houston and I would say Luck showed that in Indy. That even with really bad rosters, if you have a QB, then you can compete.

Now, a realistic post season run needs more than just a qb or you need a true generational QB that can carry an entire team. I don't expect the Bears to be in a position to make a realistic post season run in 2022. There are just too many holes they need to fill and not enough resources available to fill them. However, they do have enough resources to compete in 2022 and to set-up for a realistic postseason run in 2023. Rosters turn over a lot in the NFL and you can make a lot of quick turn arounds as long as you don't make too many bad long term roster decisions - which is why Pace needs to be gone. He will make more bad roster decisions and/or burn resources (ie trades and trade-ups, bad cap contracts) to show progress in 2022 vs starting over fully in 2022, competing, and being well positioned for 2023.
2023 they will need to replace Mack, Quinn, Monty, resign Smith
2022 they need to find WR's, a TE, O-line help, CB, replace Trevathon.

and Fumble Fields is far from a proven franchise QB.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because Dazz Newsome was waived he is off the rookie contract? What about Adams... Same, just rookie minimum deals?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
2023 they will need to replace Mack, Quinn, Monty, resign Smith
2022 they need to find WR's, a TE, O-line help, CB, replace Trevathon.

and Fumble Fields is far from a proven franchise QB.
...and they need to hire a real coach and not a flashy gimmick like Trestman & Nagy.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are 2 years away from seriously competing (vs 20 years for the lions).

It makes no sense for the Bears to spend next year on anything other than offensive line and safety. With what the Bears still have, they can field a competitive team - it just will be a very thin one that won't be able to weather injury very well.

Besides, as I said before, you don't want to get your top CB or WR from free agency unless the situation is unique. You are better off drafting those - both financially, and in terms of top end talent.

The Bears are one year behind the Lions in terms of a rebuild. Your "vs 20 years for the Lions" has as much relevancy as me saying the Bears will never have a Franchise QB or that no good QB has ever come from OSU. So if you want to use that logic, Fields will suck.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Bears are one year behind the Lions in terms of a rebuild. Your "vs 20 years for the Lions" has as much relevancy as me saying the Bears will never have a Franchise QB or that no good QB has ever come from OSU. So if you want to use that logic, Fields will suck.

You talked a lot of shit at the start of the year too - and then hid like a bitch until the Lions won 1 game. So which of us has more relevancy again? Pfft.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Correct, likely blow things up after the Nagy era concludes shortly

I mean really, with so few people coming back, it's already blown up nicely for whomever wants to remake the team.

If you feel of the people who remain, they shouldn't be starting, that's not a big deal in this situation since with a GM with no ties to anyone, such people can become depth when you bring in someone better.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
...and they need to hire a real coach and not a flashy gimmick like Trestman & Nagy.
Let's be honest you are going to poke holes in anybody they hire.

You've already mocked the idea of Leslie Frazier, who is a good coach. I don't really want him because I'm more interested in an offensive coach, but I have no doubt Frazier has a lot of good connections and he's done his job well for a long time.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You talked a lot of shit at the start of the year too - and then hid like a bitch until the Lions won 1 game. So which of us has more relevancy again? Pfft.
I had the bears as roughly two wins better than the Lions, so not sure what your definition of "a lot of shit" is? Also had the bears at below 500, so, as it now stands, my "lot of shit" is more right than wrong. Granted, I didn't see both Ragnow and Decker being out the first half of the year, and Okudah suffering a season ending injury.

No, but 2-15 is a real possibility. But, that is kind of what tanking is all about now, isn't it?

LOL, "shit talking".

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I had the bears as roughly two wins better than the Lions, so not sure what your definition of "a lot of shit" is? Also had the bears at below 500, so, as it now stands, my "lot of shit" is more right than wrong. Granted, I didn't see both Ragnow and Decker being out the first half of the year, and Okudah suffering a season ending injury.

Yeah, bullshit. You're the court jester at this point - you come in talking shit, and we all point and laugh at you.

Bort

Liked Posts:
There's currently 28 players with a cap hit of under $1M for 2021 ; 42 under $2M....most rosters have a handful of guys taking up a lot of space, a dozen paid in the 3-8M range and the rest $2 and under....

That's because most rosters have like 25 players still on their rookie deals. The Bears don't have that luxury because they've traded away so many picks over the years.

And it's difficult to fill in that many vacancies on a roster with veterans without spending a lot of money.

I just don't see how the Bears can put together a competitive team in 2022 with so many holes to fill and such little draft capital. They're probably going to have several starters that would be practice squad players on other teams.

Liked Posts:
That's because most rosters have like 25 players still on their rookie deals. The Bears don't have that luxury because they've traded away so many picks over the years.

And it's difficult to fill in that many vacancies on a roster with veterans without spending a lot of money.

I just don't see how the Bears can put together a competitive team in 2022 with so many holes to fill and such little draft capital. They're probably going to have several starters that would be practice squad players on other teams.
I definitely don't expect them to compete, and if they're smart they should focus on re-tooling or re-building....don't think they even have a choice at this point.

Ideally they tank, stock up on draft picks, and wait until 2023 to begin competing.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Let's be honest you are going to poke holes in anybody they hire.

You've already mocked the idea of Leslie Frazier, who is a good coach. I don't really want him because I'm more interested in an offensive coach, but I have no doubt Frazier has a lot of good connections and he's done his job well for a long time.
This just isn't true.

Again, just Saturday someone suggested I would never admit Dalton had a bad game - that take lasted 24 hours.

You cannot accuse someone of something when the contrary hasn't happened in years...the Bears hiring good HCs and developing franchise QBs.