208 Mil Salary Cap Next Year

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Every team has holes and no one is considering any re-structured deals - we have cash.

This team can get good quickly but fields has to develop and we do need to draft some receivers. Our line needs to stay healthy I think we could be top 5 next year running the ball.

A lot of chicken littles here

Liked Posts:
Honestly looking at who’s staying (assuming we don’t trade or release any of those on the spreadsheet), I don’t believe it’s a total bust.

Mack (injury permitted) and Quinn are definitely serviceable for another season as edge rushers. Defensive linemen isn’t a high priority IMO (Goldman when he has played and Tonga have quietly gone about their business), Blackson can do a solid job.

If you can re-sign Bilal for a reasonable amount you do but with Quan helping out behind the line we’re pretty solid up front even without him. The second interior linebacker doesn’t have to be elite level since Quan is there so you’re not spending a fortune on that position.

The secondary with the exception of JJ is dogshit but you’re looking at him and Eddie Jackson (ridiculously high expenditure) as probable constants.

If you can get a good CB in then the secondary improves tenfold because a lot of our issues on the secondary stems from shite CBs in Vildor and Burns. A decent safety wouldn’t go amiss but I do feel getting a good CB in will cover a lot of our current problems with that secondary.

On the defensive side the only big expenditure should be on a good CB and the rest you can probably go a season with solid but not spectacular, especially if you’re looking at building a decent offense around Fields (which is gonna cost a lot).

On the offensive side you’ve already got your QB in Fields and a pair of runners in Monty and Herbert. Mooney is gonna be one of your 2 main receivers because of the early partnership with Fields.

Line wise Borom will be a starter if for no other reason then we’ve too many gaps to fill already. Same with Whitehair likely. You’re probably looking at drafts for at least 1 line position and costly free agents for probably the other 2 (I’m writing off Jenkins on the basis of pessimism).

Daniels would be nice to keep but it’s probably gonna be a pretty large layout.

You’re also likely going to have to spend big on a wide receiver to lift pressure off Mooney unless you use your RD 2 pick on a receiver who dropped into the 2nd and hope he can make plays. Tight ends will probably be the same as this season minus Graham.

Summary: Spend big on a CB, couple of players for O-line and probably a WR.

Drafting: One o-line player as a starter (doesn’t necessarily have to be a high pick (as Borom has potentially shown).

Use your 2nd RD to bring in a WR as a longshot starter or as decent depth.

Rest of drafts are likely depth options.

Rest of the roster is filler to hopefully cover gaps. Probably leave yourself with a lack of depth but until you can move some of those not carrying their cap weight (Jackson, Whitehair, Goldman who isn’t doing enough for his expenditure and probably Mack if he still has injury issues) then there’s not a huge amount that can be done.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This just isn't true.

Again, just Saturday someone suggested I would never admit Dalton had a bad game - that take lasted 24 hours.

You cannot accuse someone of something when the contrary hasn't happened in years...the Bears hiring good HCs and developing franchise QBs.
Nobody cares about Dalton. If you'd defend him in any case that'd simply mean you're an complete imbecile. Idk why you keep referring back to that, it isn't something to be proud of.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Wrong. People had the same reaction when I critiqued Mitch.

The reason they get upset is because they know you have a point and don't want to admit it to themselves. Hence, they attack me personally rather than accept the truth. This is a very common emotional response when confronted with uncomfortable truths.

Stopped reading after sentence 1.

I was one of the biggest nut ridders of mitch on this forum, I didn't remember halftime at all as far as a serious critique of mitch.

That means no one cared, truly.

I guess you stepped your game up for the next batch. Must have taken some attention whoring classes over the pandemic.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nobody cares about Dalton. If you'd defend him in any case that'd simply mean you're an complete imbecile. Idk why you keep referring back to that, it isn't something to be proud of.

He still has a quote I posted at the very start of this season in his signature.

If anything this thread reinforces the quote I have in his sig. We have minimal young talent signed to our 53 next year. All that really does matter is if fields develops at this point or not. If he doesn't this franchise is fucked until about the late 2020's

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To be fair, we all knew if the mitch experiment failed this team(particularly the defense) would become old and busted and require a rebuild.

Pace gambled on the wrong qb, really comes down to that. Honestly, if Pace is the GM again next year I hope he retains his aggressiveness. You don't win in the NFL without calculated risks as a GM.

It's so much more than missing on Mitch. That's the biggest one, but swap Trubisky for Mahomes and this is still a bad team.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The whole thing boils down to Fields living up to the price paid. Two 1sts, which is a guy that can carry a team on his shoulders. How many QBs can you say that about? 5??

If that doesn't happen you're looking at being a bad team until 2026-ish best case.

Bull shit. As bad as this team is a good GM can turn it around in 2 - 3 years. No more 4-5 year rebuilds.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Every team has holes and no one is considering any re-structured deals - we have cash.

This team can get good quickly but fields has to develop and we do need to draft some receivers. Our line needs to stay healthy I think we could be top 5 next year running the ball.

A lot of chicken littles here

Agreed. Team can be good quick; within a year or two.

Even if you only pay attention to those who are still signed, you have players who either are legit starters for their role or else are acceptable depth on a better team, provided you draft better replacements. And because everything hinges on the development of Fields, you go nuts in beefing up the O-line and the wr corps. You won't find a true #1 out in the FA market, but you can find stability. Get a good offense together this year, and you'll be a in a much better spot.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bull shit. A bad as this team is a good GM can turn it around in 2 - 3 years. No more 4-5 year rebuilds.

Were this team was after Wanny or Trestman, is when you need 4-5 years to recover. There IS young talent on this roster. Just not enough of it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It's so much more than missing on Mitch. That's the biggest one, but swap Trubisky for Mahomes and this is still a bad team.

Disagree, at least in the short term.

2018 both watson and mahomes tore it up. Thats all it takes for one superbowl. That defense was special in 2018.

You can say we would never develop them to that point, but this was, on paper, one of the best teams in the nfl in 2018. Our major hole was quarterback and if he could take the next step or not.

Once again, pace took a calculated risk on the wrong guy. Just cant see how on paper that 2018 team would lose with an actual top 10 nfl qb.

That is what pace gambled on and he failed.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, if the QB we drafted worked out in 2018 even Brainblow wouldn't find a critique on this team.

This franchise is starved for a QB, I don't blame pace for trading up for two of them, I just wish we took more swings over the years.

You need to take risks to be good in this sport.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

2018 both watson and mahomes tore it up. Thats all it takes for one superbowl. That defense was special in 2018.

You can say we would never develop them to that point, but this was, on paper, one of the best teams in the nfl in 2018. Our major hole was quarterback and if he could take the next step or not.

Once again, pace took a calculated risk on the wrong guy. Just cant see how on paper that 2018 team would lose with an actual top 10 nfl qb.

I'm talking long term. 2018 was his one good year. A good GM should have more than one good year in 7.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I think for me, what made me want to hang onto Pace, was that he had a plan, had it all lined up, and had he just gotten the QB and coach right, it all would have worked. Tells me there's something there.

But honestly, what lost it for me, was not just the bad choices, but then after Mitch failed, the bad money thrown after bad money, bad decision thrown after bad decision, which makes Fields look like lightning striking, and you just aren't sure if it can happen again. It just all kind of death spiraled. And don't get me started on the silly ass rumor wars this season, which I think are in part leaking out of Pace's office in an attempt to save his own neck.

Overall, just not enough has been done, and Pace has done a terrible job transitioning us from Mitch to Fields in terms of talent. I think a new direction is needed.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not even close*, plus the lions have draft capital.
The Lions have several players they can shed to free up cap, the bears have virtually no one.
The Lions could cut/trade Flowers/Goff/Vatia and have 75 mil in cap.

Flowers and Vatia are easily replaced in the draft, with the Lions currently slotted to pick first.
Goff would cost the Lions a lot of "Dead Cap" but they still gain Cap space.

#1 pick
  • EDGE Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan. ...
or​
  • EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oregon
second first round pick from LA
* Best WR on the board

1st pick overall in the second Rnd
* best guard available

Most likely to see the following QB's in FA

Jimmy G
Aaron Rodgers
Russel Wilson
Desean W

And still plenty of money to play with.
Does it really matter what the Lions do though? They will still be the Lions. The Bears suck but atleast they arent the fucking Lions.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think for me, what made me want to hang onto Pace, was that he had a plan, had it all lined up, and had he just gotten the QB and coach right, it all would have worked. Tells me there's something there.

But honestly, what lost it for me, was not just the bad choices, but then after Mitch failed, the bad money thrown after bad money, bad decision thrown after bad decision, which makes Fields look like lightning striking, and you just aren't sure if it can happen again. It just all kind of death spiraled. And don't get me started on the silly ass rumor wars this season, which I think are in part leaking out of Pace's office in an attempt to save his own neck.

Overall, just not enough has been done, and Pace has done a terrible job transitioning us from Mitch to Fields in terms of talent. I think a new direction is needed.

Agreed, actually.

Pace has done good, but the bad outweights the good. He did take us out of one of the darkest periods of this franchise, and at least we've gotten to watch two rookie top qb prospects develop.

Still, you need a chance man. Its why if he goes to president I don't see it as terrible. It's better than the McCaskey's hiring the next GM.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Only 3/5 of the OL is set and that includes no depth!

3/5 is being generous.

Whitehair is a likely cut candidate.

Daniels will be a hot commodity amongst nfl teams this offseason, even if CCS isn't high on him. Young NFL oline talent is very hard to find, especially guys with 4 years of nfl experience already.

If there is a new GM, you would think there would be a chance only Jenkins and Borom are back next year. Ooof

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
3/5 is being generous.

Whitehair is a likely cut candidate.

Daniels will be a hot commodity amongst nfl teams this offseason, even if CCS isn't high on him. Young NFL oline talent is very hard to find, especially guys with 4 years of nfl experience already.

If there is a new GM, you would think there would be a chance only Jenkins and Borom are back next year. Ooof

Can I be truthful? I see Daniels going elsewhere, if he does, as a blessing in disguise. No one on the interior is especially impressive. I'd be higher on Daniels if this was him in year 1, but he just started finding his mean streak in year 4? And still is inconsistent.

Whitehair has begun to fall off and Daniels just never realized that potential. The fact that we only have 3 positions to look out for and not 5 is a huge blessing.