3 Killed In Black Powder Explosion At Starved Rock State Park

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This shit happened in my neck of the woods where I put my hot shit turbo through its paces through those Rt 71 Starved Rock curves.
But always end up behind minivan from Naperville.
Clear of minivans my car would smoke a '76 Vette time wise through those corners and curves.
Probably even off the line.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My best guess as to what did these jackasses in?
An attempt at dynamite fishing gone horribly wrong when someone fumbled a cigarette in the wrong spot.

I remember many years back when I lived in arizona, some jackass did the same thing trying to dynamite fish in canyon lake.
At least he did it in the boat and went out alone while his buddies watched from shore.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Truth be told, my buddy in 8th grade somehow ordered black powder and fuse online. He packed old empty C02 cartridge from the BB gun into a bomb, after firecrackers & M80s became boring. Thankfully we were smart enough to give it a lot of fuse and bury it before blowing it up in the woods. Damn that was a boom. We had friends who use CB radios and heard a few calls on the emergency bands that day.
While camping in the woods, we also tossed spray cans into the fire pit and shot em with bb guns from behind a fallen tree log. A few huge explosions, but mostly long fire streams shooting out of the hole. Dumb stuff but at least we hid and only did that in the summer when brush was fully green.

Sadly not everyone gets past that teenage curiosity or considers reasonable safety. I admit to having not read the article FWIW. Just figured I'd share that I'm glad to moved safely past our middle school antics, that while fun, I wouldn't recommend looking back.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I drove through Utica on Friday and saw a TV reporter filming a remote near the bridge over the Illinois River and wondered why.

Found out later about the three guys and their black powder mishap. Unreal.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Story twist: @ytsejam can confirm, I'd suspect, that a bridge over the Illinois River was blown up about a week before these fellas had their mishap. The family has hired a lawyer to inquire further with the authorities as to whether they possibly blew themselves up when they started their campfire over unseen discarded excess explosives from the demolition.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I doubt "discarded excess explosives" are even a thing. I saw video of that bride demolition. That's all set off by electrical charge, they don't light a fuse.
I just can't see it.
"Hey boss, what you want me to do with these extra explosives?"
"Fuck it. Just throw it over there and let's grab lunch."

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then again, I'm no expert but I think it would take a fairly hefty amount of black powder to kill 3 motherfuckers.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Story twist: @ytsejam can confirm, I'd suspect, that a bridge over the Illinois River was blown up about a week before these fellas had their mishap. The family has hired a lawyer to inquire further with the authorities as to whether they possibly blew themselves up when they started their campfire over unseen discarded excess explosives from the demolition.
The bridge implosion was March 18th, 7 weeks before this accident. I was in the area (LaSalle) over the weekend and heard someone say that the crews that manage implosions have strict controls over exactly how many charges they set, where they are, etc. and have 24 hours to remove anything and everything from the implosion.

At least in this guy's mind - and I have no idea whether he is expert in this or just pontificating - the chances it was from the bridge implosion are very small.

I look at it simply that authorities would not be discussing black powder without some evidence it was that. I don't think they just take wild guesses. But I can't say for sure.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And I doubt "discarded excess explosives" are even a thing. I saw video of that bride demolition. That's all set off by electrical charge, they don't light a fuse.
I just can't see it.
"Hey boss, what you want me to do with these extra explosives?"
"Fuck it. Just throw it over there and let's grab lunch."
Yes, I think this is a family in shock struggling with sudden loss...all three were dads with a total of 7 kids . ☹️