3 Killed In Black Powder Explosion At Starved Rock State Park

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've read it now.
Holy shit! This is fucked up and just a horrible tragedy.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that there were explosives laying around for these poor guys to find.
I would have thought there would be super tight regulations where every single fucking gram of explosives was accounted for.
Yeah- I recant my prior statements earlier in the thread. sound like they were legitimate victims.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have scanner app on here at work.
They're calling in firetrucks from 40 miles away.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Seven buildings of four units each were totally destroyed.

A friend of my sister owns one of the units destroyed. We have stayed there several times.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yikes- are there hydrants out there or did they have to bring in a water truck?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No hydrants.

The combination of lack of hydrants, difficult access for firefighters and high winds are what contributed to the massive spread.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No hydrants.

The combination of lack of hydrants, difficult access for firefighters and high winds are what contributed to the massive spread.

.... and the raw wood building material.
one spark on the wrong day, and it is over.

That really sucks. Never really considered it before, but if I were looking for a seasonal campground I would have to add fire protection and FD access to the checklist.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I can't find any updates on what's going on with this but I want to know who is responsible.
Me, too. Rereading through this and I had forgotten that we never heard a conclusion.

BTW, You say this is in your neck of the woods. Where are you? I grew up in LaSalle and still go there often as my mom is there. I was there shortly after the explosion and was there on the day of the fire at Grand Bear. The pnly activity around there seems to be negative. They had an explosion and fire at a chemical plant recently, too. Glad I missed that one.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me, too. Rereading through this and I had forgotten that we never heard a conclusion.

BTW, You say this is in your neck of the woods. Where are you? I grew up in LaSalle and still go there often as my mom is there. I was there shortly after the explosion and was there on the day of the fire at Grand Bear. The pnly activity around there seems to be negative. They had an explosion and fire at a chemical plant recently, too. Glad I missed that one.
I'm in Streator area.
My best homeboy lives in Peru.
He didn't have any issues with green slime falling out of the sky from that chemical fire.
My aunt used to work at that plant.