40 years 4 1st Round QBs 2 SuperBowls 1 bust

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
McMahon #5, Super Bowl win
McNown #12, bust
Harbaugh #26, Pro Bowl, AFC Player of the year (obviously not with the Bears)
Grossman #22, Super Bowl loss

Trubisky #2, _______

I'd say the Bears' have good luck at picking first round QBs and Trubisky being the highest we've taken, highly projected and the pick of the litter we're sitting pretty. With the Bears' low standards in QBs I don't get all the hand wringing about Trubisky busting if he's handled wrong or we have the wrong coaches or he starts on a waning moon instead of a waxing moon.

The Bears shitty luck at QBs overall isn't luck, it's not even bothering to try.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Mitchell beasting or busting is much more about Mitchell than the coaching staff, but don't tell anyone here that...

Reactions: Myk

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
What luck have we had besides the Colts being dumb enough to take Art Schlicter instead of McMahon.

We inherited a QB who was able to stay healthy for ONE season(not even the whole season). I mean we probably win Super Bowl XX with Steve Fuller too, to be honest.

Harbaugh was ok.

Grossman had ONE good season. But he COST us a 2nd Lombardi Trophy. With Griese starting...we win.

McNown? Nuff said.

It's sad that in the modern era...Trubisky has the chance to be the first GOOD 1st Rd QB we've drafted.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Last time the Bears picked a QB #2....

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but if you look at our last twenty 1st round picks one could argue that 12 outta 20 were busts. That's a 60% bust rate. That's even giving you Tommie Harris, whose effectiveness was cut short by injuries, and Greg Olson, who was under utilized by Mike Martz.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
From 2001-2012 the Bears were better QB play away from being Superbowl contenders for that whole dozen years. They've spent most of the last 33 years that way.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
What luck have we had besides the Colts being dumb enough to take Art Schlicter instead of McMahon.

We inherited a QB who was able to stay healthy for ONE season(not even the whole season). I mean we probably win Super Bowl XX with Steve Fuller too, to be honest.

Harbaugh was ok.

Grossman had ONE good season. But he COST us a 2nd Lombardi Trophy. With Griese starting...we win.

McNown? Nuff said.

It's sad that in the modern era...Trubisky has the chance to be the first GOOD 1st Rd QB we've drafted.

Lol. Manning would have destroooyed that cover who, bend but don't break, defense missing Harris and Brown if forced to push the ball up the field. No way Greise wins that game.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Harbaugh was ok.

McNown? Nuff said.

I'm SURE not saying Rex was even close to good, just that we did go to the Super Bowl with that first round pick. And it wasn't even a high enough pick to consider it the Bears really putting themselves out there.
A Super Bowl and Rex's flakiness is better than what we got trying to trade for other team's high pick QBs.
I'm as anti-Rex as many are anti-Cutler.

I don't know if we do as good without McMahon, I would've been considered a fanboy, but I don't think he was a great one. And he sure didn't last long.

I don't know about Harbaugh, if it was him vs the team/Ditka or if he just fit better with Indy.

Yeah, but if you look at our last twenty 1st round picks one could argue that 12 outta 20 were busts. That's a 60% bust rate. That's even giving you Tommie Harris, whose effectiveness was cut short by injuries, and Greg Olson, who was under utilized by Mike Martz.

So we may as well risk high pick QBs with a 1st round pick record like that. If we hit on a 75% at least OK QB record that's a lot better than we've done dumpster diving for QBs (Glennon is pretty typical of what we've got dumpster diving). Even with short careers it's only about once every few years. If we get really lucky a lot longer.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Had to separate this one.

It's sad that what amounts to my aware football lifetime they've only drafted 4 1st round QBs. Probably my whole lifetime but Bears History doesn't go back that far for the QB carousel piece.

If it wasn't for 1985 I probably wouldn't even be a Bears fan. I was a FA before then.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Lol. Manning would have destroooyed that cover who, bend but don't break, defense missing Harris and Brown if forced to push the ball up the field. No way Greise wins that game.

But he didn't.

What game did you watch?

It was 22-17 with 5 minutes to play in that game when Wrecks threw up that awful pick 6 duck.