My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Over the long term, the stock market is the safest growth investment you can make. I gave a copy of this chart to both my daughter and wife to illustrate that in spite of a depression and multiple recessions the stock market always comes back and rises over time

spxvaluationtop.jpg

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What if I buy a speed boat and finance it at like 9%..... dis seems like a sound financial investment to me..... everyone loves boats, so if I need to sell it quick it shouldn't be a problem.

Not so true in the winter doe.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Over the long term, the stock market is the safest growth investment you can make. I gave a copy of this chart to both my daughter and wife to illustrate that in spite of a depression and multiple recessions the stock market always comes back and rises over time

spxvaluationtop.jpg

LoL @ that chart.

Here is the same chart with the numbers spaced equally....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&P_5...and_P_500_daily_linear_chart_1950_to_2016.png

My point being that 2001 and 2008 were scary times and I think it is worth noting that if you just buy an S&P 500 ETF you are going for the ride, no matter what it brings.

People are just finally feeling whole from 2008 yet they lost all that time.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I use one through my new job and I'm pretty conservative with my investment choices. Mine is essentially a safe money market account with the least volatile fluctuation.

I have a Vanguard account with my 401k from my previous job. Vanguard is a very good company and I second what previous posters here have said about them.

Side tangent: I always think it's funny when people flip out about Social Security being privatized as though they have no idea how or why it would work.....What the fuck do they think a 401k is?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
LoL @ that chart.

Here is the same chart with the numbers spaced equally....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&P_5...and_P_500_daily_linear_chart_1950_to_2016.png

My point being that 2001 and 2008 were scary times and I think it is worth noting that if you just buy an S&P 500 ETF you are going for the ride, no matter what it brings.

People are just finally feeling whole from 2008 yet they lost all that time.
All depends on whether you have a long term or short term perspective. Yes, 2008 was scary but frankly means nothing in the big picture. The people that panicked in 2008-2009 misssed out on the single greatest rise in stock market history. Too bad they had no balls

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
All depends on whether you have a long term or short term perspective. Yes, 2008 was scary but frankly means nothing in the big picture. The people that panicked in 2008-2009 misssed out on the single greatest rise in stock market history. Too bad they had no balls

Well, unless you were preparing to retire in 2009 and lost half of your retirement savings. A lot of those folks are still working today.

Giving Millenials a reason to bitch about the lack of jobs their bachelors degree greets them with.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, unless you were preparing to retire in 2009 and lost half of your retirement savings. A lot of those folks are still working today.

Giving Millenials a reason to bitch about the lack of jobs their bachelors degree greets them with.

There is a reason you should be moving your retirement money to much safer, much less volatile investments when you get close to retirement.

If people had the majority of their retirement money in stocks 1-2 years from their retirement IMO they made a mistake.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Not entirely. You could have a long term perspective, but if you were cashing out your 30 years' worth of investments in 2008, then you would have been in pretty bad shape. The recent volatility of the market has a great effect on both short term and long term investors. For you to treat as being insignificant or a product of "investor error" is incorrect, IMO.
No one cashes out 30 years of investment all at once and if they did in the fact of the temporary downturn they are idiots

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one cashes out 30 years of investment all at once and if they did in the fact of the temporary downturn they are idiots

Have you met America? Let me introduce you

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Live the chart, learn the chart, love the chart

spxvaluationtop.jpg

I see it.... and I don't disagree if people panicked and pulled all their money out of the market in 2008-2009 when it was down 50% or w/e they are idiots... I am just saying we live in a country of double digit IQ fucktards.... doing something like that is entirely plausible for alot of people.

Same people who will be like "DONT CHECK YOUR CREDIT SCORE IT WILL MAKE IT GO DOWN" because they don't grasp the difference between a hard inquiry and a soft one.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
In addition to 401k, my company offers a stock purchase program that is pretty sweet- you get 15% off the lowest price each quarter and can cash it after a year. If something like that is available go for it.

I straight out bought a couple really low priced houses for rentals, and that has been a good path for me so far... I still have some extra scratch so I am contemplating picking up another and financing part of it (cant afford to pay cash on all of it at the moment) and wind up with a mortgage in the 400s and rent for 8 or 9... the payoff will be swift and then I am sitting on an asset for when retirement comes.

If none of the advice so far is appealing- open a strip club. You might not make money, but the perks would be great.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I see it.... and I don't disagree if people panicked and pulled all their money out of the market in 2008-2009 when it was down 50% or w/e they are idiots... I am just saying we live in a country of double digit IQ fucktards.... doing something like that is entirely plausible for alot of people.

Same people who will be like "DONT CHECK YOUR CREDIT SCORE IT WILL MAKE IT GO DOWN" because they don't grasp the difference between a hard inquiry and a soft one.
Which is why I'm trying to teach my wife and daughter discipline in the unlikely case I'm gone

I pound this chart and the notion that the market will always rise over time into their heads. If you operate from that perspective it's easy to have piece of mind

For example at the beginning of January the market plunged for the next 3 months and wise asses here said "told ya". Now the market is virtually back to where it was in December. Grow a pair and live your convictions

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which is why I'm trying to teach my wife and daughter discipline in the unlikely case I'm gone

I pound this chart and the notion that the market will always rise over time into their heads. If you operate from that perspective it's easy to have piece of mind

For example at the beginning of January the market plunged for the next 3 months and wise asses here said "told ya". Now the market is virtually back to where it was in December. Grow a pair and live your convictions

Human brane software says

IF MARKET_DOWNTURN == TRUE
{
:kermit:
}
ELSE :deer:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just found out my credit score is 846. Can anyone spot me a fidy?