49ers Runningback Raheem Mostert requests trade

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is a side bar issue, but I think with RBs NFL teams need to manage that relationship differently. They need to say they will look to load manage the RB, so they will be filling the RB room and spreading this around. Granted everyone will get reps, but that will also save the #1 RB and not run him into the ground. It will be more similar to college systems where they are load sharing as opposed to featuring a specific player.

For the team then need to target players who are okay with the time share and see value in that.

IMHO those bell-cow RBs are a thing of the past.

Only rb's really worth any cash nowadays are the true dual threat ones. Being great in the passing game is not something many rb's have in their skillset.

You get a good oline and any back on the practice squad can have decent results running the ball. I'm fairly certain Mosterts agent realizes this as well, lol.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Only rb's really worth any cash nowadays are the true dual threat ones. Being great in the passing game is not something many rb's have in their skillset.

You get a good oline and any back on the practice squad can have decent results running the ball. I'm fairly certain Mosterts agent realizes this as well, lol.
Even those duel threat guys don't move the needle much for me.

Christian McCaffery is just amazing and his team stinks. Weather it's the Pats with James White, Eagles with Sproles or Chargers with Eckler teams can fill that roll a lot cheaper.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Monty needs to find a seam and burst through it before it closes...BUT HE IS SLOW and doesn't have the size to compensate to break arm tackles on a consistent basis.

Would not surprise me if the Bears are looking for a new back next season.
There is no doubt he will never break away, but watching games from last year, it is just amazing how many times he was hit behind the LOS. I too would not be surprised if they are looking for another RB, but I would really like to see him get a shot with at least competent blocking, he might surprise us.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Mostert was alright, I watched more of him last year cause I had him on one of my fantasy teams. He really was more of a rotational guy, some games he would go off and other games one of the other guys would go off. It was kind of a three headed monster over there with Mostert Coleman and Mckinnon.

If I was the niners I would trade his ass in a hot second if they can get a decent pick out of him and run with Coleman McKinnon, and doubt they even see a drop off in production.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
There is no doubt he will never break away, but watching games from last year, it is just amazing how many times he was hit behind the LOS. I too would not be surprised if they are looking for another RB, but I would really like to see him get a shot with at least competent blocking, he might surprise us.

Look at some of McCaffery's runs. I see defenders penetrate the backfield plenty of times but the guy makes moves on moves and can change direction on a dime. It is what it is

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
220lbs isn’t a small size.

He led the nation in broken tackles in college

Also, the 2019 Bears had less negative runs than the 2018 Bears... even with a worse Oline.

According to NFL advanced stats, Monty tied for 3rd in the league with 28 broken tackles on the year. Only Nick Chubb, Aaron Jones, Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara, and Phillip Lindsay did better. Four of those guys are Pro Bowlers. Not bad company for Montgomery to keep.

Monty is not the problem with our Run Game.

He breaks tackles and gets nowhere in part because he is slow.

More meatball comments.

4.63 is by no means fast for a RB but its not in the territory of "slowest RB i've ever seen".

Khareem Hunt had similar speed to monty and dominated in this EXACT same system for a few years.

Get monty an oline and he will be more than fine.

Hunt plays a lot faster by the looks of it. Monty looks incredibly slow out there. Maybe some of that is the OL but the dude is not explosive. That was the criticism of him coming out and it held true his first year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even those duel threat guys don't move the needle much for me.

Christian McCaffery is just amazing and his team stinks. Weather it's the Pats with James White, Eagles with Sproles or Chargers with Eckler teams can fill that roll a lot cheaper.

They stunk because of the QB or lack thereof and the D. That would be like saying Julio shouldn't get paid because the Falcons stink. Or that ARob shouldnt get paid because we finished 8-8.

CMC is giving you almost 2,500 rushing and receving yards. That is a whole other level. Those guys you mentuoned arent really dual threats as they are more pass catchers with limited value in run game. Ecks is probably the closest to being an actual dual threat but that is being geberous as he has never hit 600 yards rushing.

There are probably less than 5 legit dual threat RBs. CMC, Kamara and Barkley. Those are the only guys I can think of at the moment that are really capable of over 2000 combined yards on a consistent basis.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Look at some of McCaffery's runs. I see defenders penetrate the backfield plenty of times but the guy makes moves on moves and can change direction on a dime. It is what it is

McCaffery is a stud, but I watched the whole highlight reel and he was forced to make a cut in the backfield twice (three times if you count the goaline play) because of poor blocking, the rest of the time he was getting the handoff clean and was able to get to the LOS at full speed untouched..... from there he is no doubt at another level.

When I go back to watch games from last year on Game Pass (condensed version) the RBs (no matter who was carrying the ball) were being pursued as the handoff was taking place. Big indicator for me was the number of times an offensive lineman was looking into the backfield, and was helping the RB/QB up after the tackle.

It was just plain bad last year, and I don't think talent was the complete issue, it looked like our guys were thinking about responsibility and were simply LOST...... OVERTHINKING....

I hope coaching will help, because while it does require good technique to be in the NFL, it is still a battle and Harry screwed up a good O-line twice for the Bears, and both times they looked like they had no clue and no fire....