5 Edge Rushers Who Are (Still) Available

Sammich

Liked Posts:
The Chicago Bears are certainly embracing the youth movement at their edge rush position. One merely has to look at the experience makeup for an idea.

As of now four of the seven players on the depth chart going into training camp have one year or less of NFL experience. Not only that but those four are made up of a 6th round pick and three current or former undrafted free agents. Not exactly a group picked from the premier pile of talent. Either they strongly believe they have something in this young cast or it’s possible they’re planning another move.

This time of year the edge rusher position is picked clean of the best talent. Teams can only hope to scoop up an older veteran or injury-prone player and hope they can offer something. Perhaps the Bears are hoping the waiver wire cuts to come in August may yield some help but that feels like a stretch. So here are the five best names available for them to secure.

Lamarr Houston
This is an easy one that for whatever reason the Bears refuse to act on. Houston had four sacks in five games upon returning to the team late in 2017. He seems to like the Vic Fangio system a lot and shouldn’t command a ton of money on a one-year deal. It’s hard to determine whether he’s resisting a return in hopes of a long-term deal elsewhere or if the Bears simply don’t want him back. Either way, he remains available and would be a major help to their depth.

Connor Barwin
His best days are behind him it seems. Barwin was a solid outside linebacker for a number of years in Houston and Philadelphia. He doesn’t display that dominant form anymore as he continues into his 30s. That said he’s shown he can be good for five sacks a season, which was his totals in 2016 and 2017. That may not be overly flashy but it would make for solid production from a rotational pass rusher.

Devin Taylor
Most people have forgotten about Taylor. That’s no surprise considering he played just two games for the Giants last season. The former Lions defensive end has flashed some pass rush prowess before though. Between 2015 and 2016 he had 11.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Not wow numbers but not bad either. At 6’7″ he offers the kind of length Fangio loves in his pass rushers and has experience playing a reserve role. It would be a cheap add.

Elvis Dumervil
Word is that Dumervil is in the best shape of his career. That may be true, but he’s also 34-years old. Not a lot of pass rushers excel at that age. There are some exceptions though. Despite being relegated to a reserve role in 2017, he still managed to college 6.5 sacks with the San Francisco 49ers. He’s a tough, experienced and high-motor player who knows how to get to the quarterback. A one-year flier to see if he’s got any juice left can’t hurt.

Junior Galette
Injuries and off-the-field issues derailed what looked like the career of an emerging star in Galette. He had 22.5 sacks between 2013 and 2014 for the New Orleans Saints. Then he suffered back-to-back Achilles injuries to miss all of the 2015 and 2016 seasons. Only last year did he finally get back, notching three sacks for the Redskins. At 30-years old his window is closing and he comes with a lot of baggage. Still, beggars can’t be choosers and it’s possible he has one good year left in him.

-Erik Lambert

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Did Willie Young sign somewhere? I'd take him back over these guys...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Same here and no he hasn't but it's about what I'd expect in a quota filling article by Lambert of Sports Mockery.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Did Willie Young sign somewhere? I'd take him back over these guys...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No. We released him in February and he is still a free agent. Still not sure why Lamarr Houston has not been brought back. He could be a veteran role player, who would probably sign for cheap.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather see our young guys on the roster get playing time......realistically we aren't winning a Superbowl this year. I'd like to see what the young guys and the draft choices can do when given enough playing time...

I'd rather not have an older vet taking up cycles from young guys trying to learn.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I've done a couple of these "what can we do at edge rusher" threads and i'm still all about signing one of C.Barwin or L.Houston depending on who's out there after the June 1st cuts.

Some guys that could get cut.

Chicago Bears Waiver Wire Targets To Watch For When Cuts Begin

The offseason isn’t quite over yet. The Chicago Bears waiver wire run is still looming ahead. Training camp and the preseason will come first but as the live action approaches in September teams will have to whittle down their rosters from 90 players to 53. This means many will have to be cut before opening day. Most of the names involved won’t be notable, but every year there are surprises.

GM Ryan Pace has had success at this enterprise before. Given how much turnover there’s been on the roster, he figures to have some moves in mind if the right players become available. Here are some names worth watching over the next few months.

EDGE Joe Ostman (Philadelphia Eagles)
Take one look at the Eagles roster and it’s hard to imagine how an undrafted player like Ostman will be able to make the final 53. Philadelphia already has Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, Chris Long and Michael Bennett as their top four. Then there’s fourth round pick Josh Sweat joining the bunch.

Ostman looks less like a roster player and more like a hopeful practice squad stash. He was highly productive at Central Michigan with 26 career sacks including 21 his final two seasons. Not a premier athlete but a hard worker.

EDGE Myles Humphrey (Baltimore Ravens)
New Bears edge rusher Elijah Norris actually wasn’t the most productive on his team in 2017 in terms of sacks. He had 6.5 but his teammate, Myles Humphrey, came away with 13. So it’s only natural the Baltimore Ravens scooped him up. They have a long history of cultivating good pass rushers.

However, Humphrey’s time there could be shortlived. Baltimore added a lot to their edge position already last year in the forms of Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams. Along with Terrell Suggs, Za’Darius Smith, Albert McClellan and Matt Judon they seem quite set at that position. Unless one of them gets the unexpected boot, Humphrey is a camp body.

EDGE Hercules Mata’afa (Minnesota Vikings)
In terms of motor, there isn’t a player in the draft who could match Mata’afa. He never stops and shows the kind of quickness and burst that offers some promise as a pass rusher. The problem is he’s both short and lacks length. Two big roadblocks to being a good player on the edge in the NFL.

This makes his decision to sign in Minnesota all the more puzzling. Not only are they loaded already at defensive end, his body type doesn’t fit the profile for that scheme. He’s too light and too short. His best hope is a 3-4 alignment as an outside linebacker. He had 10.5 sacks for Washington State last year. There’s potential, but the situation must be ideal for him.

EDGE Jeff Holand (Denver Broncos)
The best way to find underrated value at certain positions on the waiver wire is finding teams that are already loaded at that position. The Denver Broncos are a perfect example. Outside of Von Miller they have Shane Ray and Shaquille Barrett. Now they add first round pick Bradley Chubb to the mix as well. Not to mention their second rounder from last year, DeMarcus Walker.

It’s hard seeing Jeff Holland wade through all that to make the roster. He’s somewhat undersized and limited athletically but he moves well and shows advanced pass rush technique and power that allowed him to get 9.5 sacks for Auburn last year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'd rather see our young guys on the roster get playing time......realistically we aren't winning a Superbowl this year. I'd like to see what the young guys and the draft choices can do when given enough playing time...

I'd rather not have an older vet taking up cycles from young guys trying to learn.

While we're not a contender for the super bowl, if things go right we could easily be a contender for the playoffs.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd rather see our young guys on the roster get playing time

This. Why waste reps on has beens? See what we have with Lynch and Fitts and if it's still a major need, draft early from what looks to be a seriously strong DL/EDGE class next year.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
This. Why waste reps on has beens? See what we have with Lynch and Fitts and if it's still a major need, draft early from what looks to be a seriously strong DL/EDGE class next year.

Veteran leadership to mentor these guys and show them the ropes.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Chris McCain could be an option as well.

I'd like Lamarr Houston and Chris McCain. I'd like the Bears to consider signing two. Dumervil is also intriguing as a flyer as the article suggests. Whilst he's clearly older he's apparently in great shape and got 6.5 sacks last season. The Bears could use that kind of production.

None of these guys will cost a lot. Hopefully the Bears pick some of these guys up. There seems to be very little downside especially given our lack of depth.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Floyd and Fitts are big injury risks, i'm not so sold on A.Lynch even making the team let alone being very productive after two very down seasons in San Fran and his highest sack total is 6.5 like 3 or 4 years ago. I know they had him put on weight and change positions but he's still a huge question mark and then we have S.Acho who's really a #4 OLB and I.Irving who's a UDFA that's shown nothing as of yet......yes we need to sign another OLB without a doubt. The young guys will still get plenty of time because we'll be rotating a lot.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gallette is not happening. Not after he flame threw Sean Payton on his way out of NO.

Elvis Dumervill interests me. He is old, but he can rush the passer in a rotation and would give the Bears someone who has produced.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
McCain signed with the Colts, so nope!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bring a vet on for limited snaps and is willing to teach the younger players

Washington

Liked Posts:
All it will take is one injury at OLB and we'll have a veteran signing. I agree with DB70 that Floyd is an injury risk and Lynch is a reclamation project who would be best served in a backup role. Fitts is an injury risk too as noted. I also think the young guys deserve a look but Pace may need a vet if injuries surface in the pre-season. I still think Houston has plenty to offer and would be my #1 choice. He knows the system and he still has a high motor.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's with all this "teach the younger players" stuff? Does anyone realize this is what coaches are employed for? Veteran leadership in a QB room is useful, for obvious reasons. 24 year old pass rushers don't need 32 year old pass rushers to coach them. The coaches do that.

If people want to bring in OLBs because the position is thin, that's cool, but it's for depth and playing options, not coaching.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Works for me but if I had to bring a guy in, it would be Young before those.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

I get the cycle of life thing, but a lot of good teams have a nice balance of youth combined with experienced players. Right now, we officially only have Acho and Floyd listed as OLB. Everyone else is listed as LB, even Lynch and Fitts are listed as LBers.

I would not mind us bringing in an experienced OLB that can play in a situational role, and be depth.

On paper we have Floyd and Acho as starters with Lynch, Irving, and Fitts as depth/rotation.

Acho - plays with passion, but it just has never been enough in a starting role
Lynch - He will need to have a bounce back year to be a part of the rotation or to make the 53
Irving - He has stuck around and we have no idea if he might be that young kid that surprises
Fitts - I honestly think they will try to place him on the PS, or he will have the redshirt injury.
Floyd - He has the skills but injuries and work load almost require that we try to get some attention on the other side.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
While we're not a contender for the super bowl, if things go right we could easily be a contender for the playoffs.

that is a bit of a long shot...would still rather see young guys....if Bears play well early then maybe add a vet for a possible playoff push.