5 Years ago today!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
On this day in 2006, the Cubs signed Alfonso Soriano to an eight-year, $136MM deal. In five seasons with Chicago, Soriano has a slash line of .266/.320/.498 and has averaged 129 games per year. Here are some links for Sunday afternoon..

:shot:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

I know we didn't win anything at the time, but I still say it wasn't a terrible idea. It is unforunate the leg injuries hit him as quick as they did, but he was a key part of the first back to back postseason Cubs team since 07-08 (really 06-08).

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know we didn't win anything at the time, but I still say it wasn't a terrible idea. It is unforunate the leg injuries hit him as quick as they did, but he was a key part of the first back to back postseason Cubs team since 07-08 (really 06-08).

I agree with you 100%. I loved the signing when it happen..getting player with 5 straight 30-30 season, coming off 40-40 season. Perfect fit for Wrigley. Cubs just with more bad luck

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with you 100%. I loved the signing when it happen..getting player with 5 straight 30-30 season, coming off 40-40 season. Perfect fit for Wrigley. Cubs just with more bad luck

I was well aware that the last years of the signing were going to be bad, and I didn't love Soriano's skillset (no patience, value tied to his legs). That said I was happy to see the Cubs go out and get the best available player in the market for the first time ever. I guess I just always want to point out the calculated gamble the Cubs took when signing Soriano. Unforunately for us it didn't work out the way we had hope in typical Cubs fashion.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was not a bad signing...but the years and amount was.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Somebody's always gonna overpay for the best guy out there. I'd rather see my team try and fail than not try and pocket a bunch of cash.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Without the years or amount, it is quite likely the Alfonso Soriano would have been another Mike Hampton to be honest.

EROCK23

Liked Posts:
wow 5 years ago already. I remeber being 13 and jumping up and down constantly after hearing they signed Soriano

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
wow 5 years ago already. I remeber being 13 and jumping up and down constantly after hearing they signed Soriano

And then you fell down hearing he won't steal 40+ bases?

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:

this is idiotic. Of course it was a bad signing for the reasons you named.

It wouldn't of been a bad signing for 5 yrs 50m dollars. But 8 yrs 120+ no thank you. I thought it was a stupid signing at the time as well. Unless he would of gave us 8 years of 30-30 play and 4 years of 40-40 play he really couldn't of come close to being worth what we paid him. The only stupider signing I have seen is Jason Worth and Carl Crawford last year that was just plain crazy by the Nats.

and whoever pays CJ Wilson this year will be just as stupid of a move if someone pays him 100m he isnt worth half that IMO.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is idiotic. Of course it was a bad signing for the reasons you named.

It wouldn't of been a bad signing for 5 yrs 50m dollars. But 8 yrs 120+ no thank you. I thought it was a stupid signing at the time as well. Unless he would of gave us 8 years of 30-30 play and 4 years of 40-40 play he really couldn't of come close to being worth what we paid him. The only stupider signing I have seen is Jason Worth last year that was just plain crazy by the Nats.

Barry Zito and Mike Hampton say hello.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the best thing to say, if you are evaluating the signing at the time of the signing and not with the knowledge we have now, is:

It was a good idea to target Alfonso Soriano the player, but considering his age and his skillset, it was stupid to overpay for him for so many years.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ya mainly talking hitters pitcher always get overpaid.

It would be harder to find, but Soriano's contract is not the worst one given to a hitter. While the years and money was no where close Todd Hundley was a much worse signing. I guess it depends on how you want to define it since Soriano gave us some production for the ridiculous price compared to Hundley gave us no production for what at the time was a reasonable price.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This wasn't the first time the Cubs went out and got a top tier hitter.. Andre Dawson comes to mind. (albeit a lot less cash even at the time)

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
This wasn't the first time the Cubs went out and got a top tier hitter.. Andre Dawson comes to mind. (albeit a lot less cash even at the time)

Didnt Dawson go to cubs and give them a blank check and told them to write in the salary. They low balled but he accepted anyways

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didnt Dawson go to cubs and give them a blank check and told them to write in the salary. They low balled but he accepted anyways

That is how that happened. Because of collusion no teams were making offers. So Dawson offered the Cubs to play for them for whatever they thought he was worth, and the Cubs paid him the league minimum if I remember correctly.

That is why the Soriano was so different. The Cubs actually outbid everyone for the top talent at the time.