55 Man roster

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Spotrac says Burns has $0 dead cap and Roberson has $75k dead cap. Either way it's peanuts. Good thought on Jenkins.

not sure what you saw on spotrac, but below is from spotrac and i personally like overthecap which is generally more accurate...burns due to his ~900k dead cap hit would be the favorite in my book unless he plays horribly i'd say he has the edge over roberson

1588377773918.png

dennehy

Liked Posts:
not sure what you saw on spotrac, but below is from spotrac and i personally like overthecap which is generally more accurate...burns due to his ~900k dead cap hit would be the favorite in my book unless he plays horribly i'd say he has the edge over roberson

View attachment 5423
You're right I read it incorrectly, although still very small difference.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
No love for the UDFAs?! I see a few of them earning spots on the final roster.

I'm projecting:
Rashad Smith beating out Iggy at ILB
Dieter Eiselen impressing the coaches enough to where they have to keep him, even ahead of the 7th round OL.
Keandre Jones challenging and beating out one of either Irving/Mingo
Artavis Pierce jumping Nall and being RB3. (I don't consider Patterson a RB)

Also, I don't see all of Pace's 1 year tryout deals panning out. I don't imagine all of Ifedi, Spriggs, Mingo, Burns, Lucas, will make the roster. Some may look unimpressive in pre-season and that's where the UDFA and waiver wire signings come in play.

i doubt mingo is beaten out, he's a core special teamer at his other stops and is also due the same money as burns ~900k if cut. Irving i can def see being beaten out but my money is on vaughters or my wish is that ledarius mack shows enough for that spot.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No love for the UDFAs?! I see a few of them earning spots on the final roster.

I'm projecting:
Rashad Smith beating out Iggy at ILB
Dieter Eiselen impressing the coaches enough to where they have to keep him, even ahead of the 7th round OL.
Keandre Jones challenging and beating out one of either Irving/Mingo
Artavis Pierce jumping Nall and being RB3. (I don't consider Patterson a RB)

Also, I don't see all of Pace's 1 year tryout deals panning out. I don't imagine all of Ifedi, Spriggs, Mingo, Burns, Lucas, will make the roster. Some may look unimpressive in pre-season and that's where the UDFA and waiver wire signings come in play.
There's usually one or so udfa who makes it, sure. Probably this year too, but very small chance of 4 and we really don't know much about them so I just went with what I knew.

I didn't have Burns making it, I think there's a good chance the others do barring injury.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
After discussing some positional battles yesterday and today, I decided to do a 55 man roster. Turns out those extra 2 spots make a huge difference. Here goes (mins ST which will be 3 guys):
QB (3): Trubs, Foles, Bray
RB (4): Monty, Cohen, Patterson, Nall/New signing (4)
WR (6): ARob, AntMill, Ridley, Wims, Ginn, Mooney
TE (4): Graham, Kmet, Harris, Holtz
OL (8): Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Ifedi, Massie, Bars, Spriggs, Coward/Rookie

Total offense: 25

DL (5): Hicks, Glodman, RRH, Nichols, Urban
OLB (5): Mack, Quinn, Gipson, Mingo, Irving
ILB (4): Roquan, Danny T, Woods, Iggy
CB (7): Fuller, Johnson, Tolliver, Skrine, Shelly, Roberson, Vildor
S (6): Jackson, Gipson, Bush, Lucas, DHC, McMannis

Total defense: 27

There will probably be a few more guys signed at some point. I think there should be an ILB for sure and probably a RB, and I think a legit 3rd ILB might knock off a safety or WR.

Notable practice squad: Both rookie tackles, Denmark, Horsted, Anderson

Bottom line: having those extra two spots opens up a lot more wiggle room than I thought it would. There is also the possibility of 2 IRs designated for return this year, so it should be possible to redshirt a guy or two depending on early injuries.

Looks pretty good... I think they might keep Horsted over Holtz because you can argue Graham and Horsted would be Us and Kmet and Harris Ys.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
i doubt mingo is beaten out, he's a core special teamer at his other stops and is also due the same money as burns ~900k if cut. Irving i can def see being beaten out but my money is on vaughters or my wish is that ledarius mack shows enough for that spot.

I really like Ledarius too. Some are concerned that he is undersized and didn't start in college, but some of his highlight impressively resemble his brother. Plus, he is inexperienced and still learning. He never played football in HS and started playing in community college. Earned a spot on Buffalo and produced 12 TFL and 8.0 sacks his senior year. He's just starting to unlock his potential and who knows how high his ceiling is.

Either way, I don't think its going to be hard to beat out Irving and Mingo. Mingo has 5 total sacks in his last 6 seasons of playing in the NFL. Maybe it makes sense to keep him and give him a shot from a contract point of view., but with the extra 2 roster spots, I would be eyeing to use one of them on an extra pass rusher.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Mingo is pretty close to a lock. Core special teamer and can play off ball. Unless something really changes ILB and OLB are going to be thin and a versatile guy is worth something there.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I really like Ledarius too. Some are concerned that he is undersized and didn't start in college, but some of his highlight impressively resemble his brother. Plus, he is inexperienced and still learning. He never played football in HS and started playing in community college. Earned a spot on Buffalo and produced 12 TFL and 8.0 sacks his senior year. He's just starting to unlock his potential and who knows how high his ceiling is.

Either way, I don't think its going to be hard to beat out Irving and Mingo. Mingo has 5 total sacks in his last 6 seasons of playing in the NFL. Maybe it makes sense to keep him and give him a shot from a contract point of view., but with the extra 2 roster spots, I would be eyeing to use one of them on an extra pass rusher.

He'll be lucky to be resigned to the PS

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

yea i am amazed at how quick he progressed given his lack of football experience...the fact that he'll have his brother here with him day in and day out to teach him the ropes is huge, its a real longshot but it'll be fun to watch in preseason games

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I would of rather seen him tried out at S but looks like it'll be CB for Denmark.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

I would of rather seen him tried out at S but looks like it'll be CB for Denmark.
That's probably the best place for him, outside CB.

Have to figure vets and whoever played last year will be penciled in. Like Toliver. But I have a feeling Bears will throw Johnson in to start immediately, unless he really looks lost. Denmark maybe a long project. Guys won't have many snaps to standout, but I think the guys who will get a chance to start if they really standout is (Johnson), Toliver, Roberson, Denmark and Burns.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm wondering if we keep Sam Mustipher as our backup Center or just have J.Daniels as our backup Center. He wasn't good there the first half last year so not sure they'd wanna move him out of that LG spot.
I think they'd like to start Daniels at Center again sometime but probably not with this shortened pre etc..

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That's probably the best place for him, outside CB.

Have to figure vets and whoever played last year will be penciled in. Like Toliver and Artie Burns. But I have a feeling Bears will throw Johnson in to start immediately, unless he really looks lost. Denmark maybe a long project. Guys won't have many snaps to standout, but I think the guys who will get a chance to start if they really standout is (Johnson), Toliver, Roberson, Denmark and Burns.

I think J.Johnson will definitely win the starting CB spot opposite Fuller and what i really like about him is he lined up on the right side of the defense in college which is where he'll line up for us so he's comfortable playing that side.

I definitely think Toliver stays on as the 3rd CB and #1 backup to J.Johnson and then i really don't know who will end up as the #4 CB and Fuller's backup. What worries me about Denmark is if he just has great athleticism but not the talent to play CB in the NFL. I think teams get tricked by players athleticism in drafts but when you get to the NFL level you need technique to go with that athleticism. Bears have fallen for that a few times with jump out of pool boy J.Gilbert and looks like Iggy (ILB) is more a guy with athleticism then technique as well. We'll see with Iggy this year cause he'll get his shot to win the 3rd ILB spot this year with just J.Woods and D.Bond to win it from.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think they'd like to start Daniels at Center again sometime but probably not with this shortened pre etc..

If Whitehair and Daniels can play well this year with Cody at C and Daniels at LG then i think they should just leave them be cause i think one of the main things in making a great o-line is having 5 guys that know how the guys on each side of them play and what they'll do on each play. When you don't know what the guy next to you is gonna do in any blocking situation then that's when defenders come untouched to get to the QB cause 2 o-linemen try to block the same defender leaving a defender with a free run at the QB or RB.