670: So maybe that wasn’t such a great draft class after all…

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Average CCS Poster circa March 2022: "This is a 7 win team at best. I can live with that given what Pace did."

The Average CCS Poster Today: "Why isn't this team 3-1? These guys suck."

The Average CCS Poster circa June 2022: "Ryan Poles did nothing to support Justin this offseason."

The Average CCS Poster Today: "Fields is a bust. Guess we're drafting Bryce Young."

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:

I ain't reading through 124 pages to check but I certainly didn't rave about the draft and I doubt many posters were more than cautiously optimistic. I highly doubt anyone called it a "great draft class".

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think a lot of Bears fans have been showing their asses since the season began.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

I ain't reading through 124 pages to check but I certainly didn't rave about the draft and I doubt many posters were more than cautiously optimistic. I highly doubt anyone called it a "great draft class".

Some good thoughts, some measured thoughts, and some...interesting thoughts.

It’s a solid D maybe D+. The mission was improve the offense. The only improvement was to the secondary? The KR was a luxury pick, no way is he a starting WR. The OL picks are all depth if they make the roster. This was a horrible draft and another wasted year of Fields’ rookie contract.

We are going to go into Fields 3rd year after this season with not knowing anything because he doesn’t have any “weapons/protection”.

It was up and down for me. After watching the tape I LOVE our first two picks. I think Poles got some great value in the 2nd by adding two immediate playmakers to the defense, but needed to make up for bypassing WR and OL. That's where I feel he fell short. While wide receiver was mostly gutted by the crazy run in the 1st and 2nd on them, I felt there was good value in OLine, even in the 5th. I like the trade downs and value we got in return for them, but it seems we were just blindly throwing darts by using the picks on so many small school OLineman. It reeks of desperation and poor planning. I do like the RB from Baylor and even the Punter looks good. But overall, I feel undewhelmed at WR and not sure about OL. Gotta watch the tape on them.

I give it a solid B and a score of 87/100

A + for the talent he was able to get in the second round

D for the third rounder

C for round 4-7

Overall : C+

Very meh. Very disappointed. Very much went against his promise to get weapons for fields., security blanket etc, the receivers were there to be picked and he got cute and went special teams. I don’t get it.

Say what you want, this is year two of the bears not doing shit for their franchise quarterback.

There are some things you just can’t control.

There weren’t any WR or LT prospects that you could pencil in as starters available at 39 so Poles went with Gordon and Brisker, both of which will likely be very good starters.

Reaching for a WR or LT in the 2nd would have been the mistake.

I agree that Velus Jones was a terrible pick in the 3rd, though.

And I like most of the day 3 picks. Some excellent athletes with legit upside.

I’m so glad everyone knows what the offense is going to look like before our new OC has even called a play.
the main issue was coaching and scheme. thats taken care of. not saying the new regime is destined for greatness but they dont have to be that

I give the draft an "incomplete" - because not one of us will know until 2-3 years later and its fucking stupid to grade a draft that just happens - because its based all on emotion, which doesn't do shit for actually helping the team.

Honestly, rather than grading it, I came away with a bunch of valuable information.

* Ryan Poles is going to go for the BPA on his board, needs be damned. If his scouts and board are indeed solid, this ALONE is reason to hope for long term success, because this is the model Pittsburgh and Baltimore have used to great success for a very long time to great sustained success.

* Ryan Poles believes in his ability to scout O-Line, and at the same time, is aware of the odds of a 6th-7th rounder succeeding in the NFL, so he did a shotgun approach to finding a guard.

* The offense is going to be fun to watch and see come together - as it seems like the goal is to get really fast guys down the field ASAP.

* Poles is a huge believer in speed.

So I see a very clear plan in terms of team-building, and the beginnings of what the offense would look like, as well as confirmation on what the defense end goal is, given we saw something similar with Lovie.

At this point, we really won't learn more until training camp, and then the season. But yes, this draft was very insightful into Poles.

I think the Bears will overall be in good hands.

great to be an improvement on what nagy constantly put out there

and the secondary went from a weakness to a strength. that makes the team better

C-

I agree.

Fields might be good enough to transcend a lot of error, but this draft makes me sick given some of what was available.

For instance, Gordon is an ok prospect but he doesn’t blow me away. We needed a #2 and I think he’s a number 2. Ok.

But there were good offensive players on the board, and I would have taken Matt Corral there. The former projected #1 pick of this class.

I think you can rehab his image, develop with Fields for a year or two, keep the best one and trade the other for a first rounder.

I like the safety and the idea of the LTs from San Diego State and Southern, although I think you only end up with one guard of the two, and nothing from the center but a back-up who won’t fuck up the snap.

WHY did we replace Mustipher with Mustipher?

I like the WR from Tennessee.

Poles exposed himself to me as a poor decision maker, which is why he created all these systems to take desicions out of the process probably.

I really hate this draft and think we got a starting safety, a linebacker, a depth WR, a nickel corner who will start too early outside at #2because we have poor depth there and probably get exposed, then moved to nickel. And a chance the San Diego St lineman develops into decent left guard.

Now that’s better than par for the course with these NFL GMs, I’m more pissed about the missed opportunities.

The glaring issue is all the positions I liked the picked at are low value easy to come by positions.

Matt Corral alone may have carried a greater lasting pick value 3 years from now than our entire class will.

Not a fan of Jones, but I find it hard to believe they couldn’t trade back to 4th and still get him, while getting a couple of extra picks in the process.

I'll give the draft a B+. Love the secondary picks. My hope is with Getsy we will finally have an offensive staff that can develop talent. Nagy was absolutely horrible at this. I personally believe he would rather had a whole team of free agents since no rookie every got better under his regime. In this draft, we got a bunch of young explosive offensive lineman. Maybe along with the new center, Jenkins and Borum we can develop a good young offensive line. The Tennessee wide receiver is an example of a staff drafting one of their guys over drafting what the mocks say. Belichick does it all the time and nobody ever blinks. In conclusion, I really believe that Poles thinks he was handed a really bad team and it will take a few years to get it where it needs to be. This draft was a good start.

I give it an A. After starting without a first and only six picks I believe we got 2 really good starters on D and a possible steal in Robinson. I also think Jones Jr and Ebner are going to be productive. We also needed the young offensive lineman we added . Lot of potential there. Hopefully we finally have coaches that can coach them up to their potential!

How are a CB and S going to score 7-14 points as rookies? That's your requirement so fill it. I mean I like CB/S because they're most likely to get picks but 2 pick 6s every game? If they do that I'll eat crow and say they should've been BPA in the top 10.

Oline doesn't score, oline keeps your 2nd QB from getting his head beat in, it gives him time to process the game. This draft means that's not ever happening for Fields in Chicago.

Leave it to Bears fans to convince themselves that this draft was actually decent, when the national consensus is that is was highly suspect.

Homers going to homer I guess.

His primary objective should have been to surround Fields with some talent, he failed that objective miserably.
The first two picks were solid picks, albeit not in positions I would have drafted.