670: So maybe that wasn’t such a great draft class after all…

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Its a fair critique.

Of the class, Brisker shows promise, and Jones (LT) looks like he MIGHT be something if he can bulk up some and hit the gym in the offseason to get more power.

Speed

Liked Posts:
I understand why people believe the sky is falling after every loss, but you can't really get a complete picture in only 4 games.

With that said Brisker is the only one whose somewhat impressive so far, maybe the Punter as well. Jones and Robinson might have average starter potential, but need work. The rest is a big pile of meh, to the absolute Kyler Gordon. But again who knows what'll happen with 13 more games to go.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, you can definitely draw a lot of conclusions on a draft class after 4 games.
Whereas it’s fine for people to be pulling the fucking handle off themselves about the draft class before any real games?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I understand why people believe the sky is falling after every loss, but you can't really get a complete picture in only 4 games.

With that said Brisker is the only one whose somewhat impressive so far, maybe the Punter as well. Jones and Robinson might have average starter potential, but need work. The rest is a big pile of meh, to the absolute Kyler Gordon. But again who knows what'll happen with 13 more games to go.
Playing favorites? Brisker is the reason Jones had all those free rolls. Not dumping on him because I like him but wrong game to differentiate him.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
It amazes me how the same reporters and fans who expected the Bears to be bad and want them to be bad for draft position lose patience and overreact to a Bear's loss.

This is what this retooling year is for. Throwing young guys out there in the water and letting them sink or swim. Hopefully guys improve as the season goes on. Hopefully the coaches find ways to teach, develop, and utilize their players with time. There has only been 4 games. Some guys will start to show promise. Others will struggle to ever get it together. Fine. We have plenty of cap space. We have all our draft picks. Its supposed to come together next offseason. This year is about building a foundation to work with.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I don't think Fuller was lights out in his first year, he wasn't as bad as Gordon but he also wasn't exactly a lockdown corner....it's worrisome but he may just need some reps hopefully

msadows

Liked Posts:
Playing favorites? Brisker is the reason Jones had all those free rolls. Not dumping on him because I like him but wrong game to differentiate him.

I think you need to rewatch the tape.

Gordon was the DB giving up massive amounts of cushion then getting eaten up by WR blocks. Gordon is #6.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Both touchdowns were on him, the 50 yard PI was on him.

But if you look at the stats he only gave up 1 catch for 9 yards.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you need to rewatch the tape.

Gordon was the DB giving up massive amounts of cushion then getting eaten up by WR blocks. Gordon is #6.
Maybe follow your own advice and see who was lined up on the edge and had responsibility for not letting Jones get outside. Not defending Gordon's play here at all but I was strictly referring to containing Jones. Bears overcommited to stopping the run and Brisker kept crashing in towards the strong side and completely lost contain. I'm sure that was somewhat by design but it's being over aggressive. He's lined up on the edge and the last line of the defense on those plays and pinching to inside the hashes while Jones is running free.

I'm sure the Bear instructed him to cover the RB cutback on run downs but there's a limit after you get fooled a couple times. This TD is mostly scheme and good Giants playcalling as Brisker picks up the TE but it's basically what was happening. It's not all on Brisker but it happened the entire 1/2 and mostly due to scheme but he has the liberty to see it as much as the coaches do. That was the needed correction they made at the 1/2. Gordon had absolutely nothing to do with allowing any of these roll outs that also causes DBs to cover guys for 5 sec. And no, I don't think Gordon is playing well.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah, you can definitely draw a lot of conclusions on a draft class after 4 games.
Totes get what you’re saying, but people were praising the hell out of Poles before any games were even played. If he can be praised before results, then I reckon it’s fair he can be critiqued after a few games

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

That's a fair criticism - It's too early to pronounce this draft a failure.

If the claim was that this was a "pro-ready draft", however, after four games we do know that has not been the case.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Both TDs were more on Brisker losing contain but mostly good playcalling against and over aggressive run stopping scheme by the Bear that didn't account for Jones' bootlegs. Gordon was downfield blocked out by the guy he was assigned to cover on both of those. Is he supposed to come up and leave his guy uncovered in the end zone?

Honestly, if you're going to call me out on Brisker and scheme losing contain, know WTF you're talking about when it's this obvious.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Brisker plainly gave up the edge on both touchdown runs. He had no idea where the ball was.