aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
So, we go into this draft with a total of 4 sixth round picks (and no 7th round pick). Trying to wrack my brains about how to extract value from that. Some comments:

Most people think that 6th rounders are just backups, roster fillers, practice squad players, or generally junk. This is pretty much true, but remember that Mr. Brady was a 6th rounder once upon a time. Sure, we shouldn't expect to get lightning in a bottle like that again, but perhaps we can get something useful out of the 6th round.

I've looked at a bunch of mocks for a bunch of different teams, and I'm certain that maybe 20 or more of them have their team taking Frank Darby from ASU in the 6th. Guaranteed that at least 19 of them will be wrong.

I've seen Chris Rumph II go anywhere from the second round to the sixth in mocks. Lots of mock drafters patting themselves on the back for getting him at 204 or later, but the truth is likely somewhere in the middle, and he'll go 3-5. Be nice to have him playing for us and being coached by his dad. Great value if he's still there.

Finally, someone useful that should be around in 6. Cornerback Avery Williams from Boise State. Adequate CB, good effort, small size, but is a special teams monster. Has 5 blocked kicks in college (a couple FG/EP tries, some punts), also had good numbers as a kickoff and punt returner, including taking a punt to the house in a FCS championship game. Should be available in 6, and will definitely mitigate the sting of losing Patterson, who was fun and popular, but didn't give $5 mil worth of help towards winning games over the last two years. Draft Williams, and have him fit into Sherrick McManus's spot on special teams, as well as doing runbacks, and pay him under a mil a year. Suspect his production will be on the same level as Patterson's.

Any other thoughts on players that can produce that should be available in the 6th round? Not talking about using the picks as trade bait, even if we use two of them to help in other places, we still have two more.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
In a perfect world this is where the Bears load up on defensive backs and linebackers who contribute right away on special teams and (hopefully) develop into starters over time. Somebody like Avery Williams would be perfect. Also would not mind a runningback here if somebody stumbles that the Bears really like.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
My ideal scenario would be the Bears trading 2 of those picks to move up and get another 5th rounder. Pace has a good track record in the 5th (Amos, Howard, Nichols, Mooney). Then using the other 2 on special teamers and/or a developmental QB. Specifically very speedy LBs, WRs, and DBs. If they can even find another Wims or DHC, it's a solid pick.

Even if the Bears make a magical trade up, I'd love to add a guy late to learn the offense. I still think Foles is getting traded (or cut June 1) and Dalton is a FA after the year, so you need a 3rd stringer in addition to a real starter anyway. Maybe one day this guy turns into a #2.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm actually very intrigued in who catches Pace's eye this year in the late rounds. I feel with the lack of games from the Pac 12, Big 10, and FCS schools this is the perfect opportunity to find some under the radar guys. Pace loves taking chances at high performing FCS guys so I expect some pick from that level.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm actually very intrigued in who catches Pace's eye this year in the late rounds. I feel with the lack of games from the Pac 12, Big 10, and FCS schools this is the perfect opportunity to find some under the radar guys. Pace loves taking chances at high performing FCS guys so I expect some pick from that level.

Amen

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think generally in the 6th you have to get away from athletic positions like WR or CB because the natural talent isn't there to make it. Draft your backup guards, NT, SS, 2 down ILBs, blocking TEs. Pace has done tremendously in the 5th but that is where the talent falls off.

That being said, this draft may be one where you can find 3rd and 4th rounders in the 6th but I would work more on filling out your roster cheaply with those final picks then trying to find a gem.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
With the 2020 Covid opt outs, I believe those 6th round picks might be more valuable too because some players will fall through the cracks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's where you take lineman from small schools to coach up, or meh T's you think you can make into Gs. Undersized jocks like Mooney or athletic late bloomers that you think you might be able to coach up and develop. Trade one for 2 7ths where you draft guys that have higher positional values that you don't want to risk bidding for as a UDFA. I was happy with last years 7th round picks but I'd have liked to see one used on guy like Anthony Gordon that had a choice of teams as a UDFA. Looks like that would have been a fail but the reward there is great if you get lucky and it was time to move on from Bray.

Gordon was a UDFA project that didn't make it with Seattle, Chefs liked him enough to roll the dice on a futures contract before the beginning of FA.

Last edited:

Thecoach575

Liked Posts:
I have been doing a ton of Mock Drafts and I have been trading down in the first and using the extra pick to trade down again for more picks in the later rounds and still able to get a starting WR or T later with the traded down pick.

I agree that with the Opt outs from 2020 there is going to be a ton of talent in the later rounds, I've seen so many WR's, CB's, and OLB's available in the 5th, 6th and 7th that could be rotational players and contribute in their first year as well as get the team younger.

Pace has found Gold in the 3rd and below and this is a great year to stock up on those later picks.

Here is a mock that I would love if it feel this way for the Bears!

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-04-21-19-06-42.png
    Capture+_2021-04-21-19-06-42.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 12

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I have been doing a ton of Mock Drafts and I have been trading down in the first and using the extra pick to trade down again for more picks in the later rounds and still able to get a starting WR or T later with the traded down pick.

I agree that with the Opt outs from 2020 there is going to be a ton of talent in the later rounds, I've seen so many WR's, CB's, and OLB's available in the 5th, 6th and 7th that could be rotational players and contribute in their first year as well as get the team younger.

Pace has found Gold in the 3rd and below and this is a great year to stock up on those later picks.

Here is a mock that I would love if it feel this way for the Bears!

I'd be pretty happy with that draft!

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Just take some fast dumbasses or slow geniuses and you’re golden.

baredown

Liked Posts:
With the 2020 Covid opt outs, I believe those 6th round picks might be more valuable too because some players will fall through the cracks.
I read somewhere that teams would likely be looking to move their 2021 late round picks for next year picks due to the much greater uncertainty with the evaluations of this class (optouts, reduced/suspended schedules, no combine, no private workouts, etc.). But I'm with you. This looks more like opportunity to me. The 6th round picks would seem to be the place to roll the dice on players with sketchier evaluation files, due to optouts, reduced/suspended schedule, etc.