9th Pick Poll - Wild Scenario - DT Carter or best OT Skoronski/Johnson/Jones?

9th Pick Poll - Wild Scenario - DT Carter or best OT Skoronski/Johnson/Jones?

• Total voters

Bort

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed by a CB at 9 and then OT or DL in the second. There are a couple elite CBs in this class, and it is very deep at OL and DL.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I'd prefer they draft an OT at 9 or trade down a few spots to add JSN and a future pick(s). I would be happy with any of Paris, Jones, JSN, Witherspoon or Carter as being the pick as all offer the upside potential I prefer early in a rebuild.

This is the one year where I wish the Bears were able to have two picks inside 10-20 simply because of how many guys I like better there than at the top of the draft. Seems unlikely that there's a scenario where they could come out with two of those 5 guys given where they pick and the draft capital required to move up for the 2nd guy but that would be my dream scenario.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Either way it was a good share and I’m pulling for Paris.

Cool. I just didn't want ya to think I was going into "another realm". But.....Yeah...we gotta get JF protected.
I hear Jones is very athletic, if we get him.....lets hope the guy below can mold him.(y)

Chris Morgan is in his first season as offensive line coach for the Bears in 2022.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The biggest and most obvious is his injury history. By extension of that, doesn’t have very good production or as much experience. Just can’t justify selecting him top 10 overall. Too many question marks
I can see that, ACL and shoulder injury in 2021, last year it was illness and the loss of his younger sister that cost him games. I think to draft Bresee the Bears would have to trade down, like you said not a top 10 pick at this time.

Might be a steal somewhere between #12 and #20, because he does have the athletic traits of a 3T.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Give me Paris or Skoronski.

Don't care if we give up 50 points as long as they are scoring 51.
I am with you, but I keep flip flopping on which one I want. I fell like Skoronski is one the the few potential true superstars in this draft but I also think he is a Guard. I think he is a day one starter, but I think if that is the pick then Tevin needs to kick out side.

If Skoronski is a dominant G and even if Tevin is only an average RT then that fills 2 positions.

However, I think Paris has potential to be a left tackle, and should be able to challenge for the starting position by the end of the season.

In summary, I believe Skoronski is more pro ready, and has a higher ceiling at less than premium position and some people’s eyes.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
There are a lot of really good tackle prospects in this draft, that I'd be comfortable aiming for a tackle in the second day if Wilson drops, but not Carter.

It is conceivable that all three of the listed tackle prospects are available at 9, and Houston calls to trade up. Poles could comfortably collect more picks knowing that he'd still get one of the best tackles out of it.

And after that I would hope he spends every remaining draft pick on the defensive line.
Carter is too risky for you?

For OL in general, and OT specifically, I don't think it's a matter of being able to get a OT in the 2nd Rd... in that you need one of the best OT's to beat the best passrushers.

We need OTs, specifically a LT, I wouldn't want to go lower talent then Skoronski/Johnson/Jones.

However, I'm on board with Pole's commitment to value/talent and not reaching for need. Whatever Pole's thinks.

I'd be fine with Edge, CB or Carter if he thinks that's the best value. Still I think those OTs are certainly in the 9th Pick value spot as well, but I'm no expert on how good they'd be in the pros.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

For OL in general, and OT specifically, I don't think it's a matter of being able to get a OT in the 2nd Rd... in that you need one of the best OT's to beat the best passrushers.

We need OTs, specifically a LT, I wouldn't want to go lower talent then Skoronski/Johnson/Jones.

However, I'm on board with Pole's commitment to value/talent and not reaching for need. Whatever Pole's thinks.

I'd be fine with Edge, CB or Carter if he thinks that's the best value. Still I think those OTs are certainly in the 9th Pick value spot as well, but I'm no expert on how good they'd be in the pros.
Responding to bolded.

Carter is not the prospect I would go for because he showed up to important events out of shape. That is the kind of red flag that weighs heavy in my consideration. He can blow it up in the league and prove every doubter wrong, more power to him, but I would rather he do it in, for example, Seattle, before Poles has to make that call. And of course, if he ends up being a Bear, I will root for him until he wears a different jersey.

For tackles, I am also interested in Harrison and Wright. They have the right talents and athletic gifts, and would easily start on day one here.

For edge and cb, yeah I would absolutely be for a DE that can finally bury the opponent like he is supposed to. God damn have I been missing that. But for CB, I think the conservative play here is to improve the pass rush and see if the DBs on the squad can make a jump in productivity.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Hey Sculpt .....

Your and others like u are bright lights around here. You always have a balanced perspective on things So Don't be a stranger. Try to stop by more often :)(y)

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
You right… he outsmarted KC and the bengals, who both have better lines and then paid top dollar for a fucking linebacker
We pick at 9. Get a top (T) young guy without over paying. And we got 2 LBs for the price of 1. Quan. Love it.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
OT is BPA in my opinion at #9. Both Jones at Tackle or Skoronski as a Guard are the best prospects. I'd take them over any other non QB prospect other than Will Anderson. Even if we added a Tackle in FA. It wouldn't matter. They are BPA.
Bijan Robinson?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Bijan Robinson?
Personally, I think he is a good, not great running back and I wouldn't spend #9 on him. If Jonathan Taylor as a 2,000 yard rusher was a mid 2nd rd pick, I don't see why Bijan, a 1,500 yard rusher is worth a top 10 pick. I dont think the value is great there.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Carter is way too risky a pick for Poles to gamble on with the spotlight on right now.

CB is lowest risk at 9 IMO so I bet that's where he goes.

I'll be pissed if he passes on Robinson though

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I am with you, but I keep flip flopping on which one I want. I fell like Skoronski is one the the few potential true superstars in this draft but I also think he is a Guard. I think he is a day one starter, but I think if that is the pick then Tevin needs to kick out side.

If Skoronski is a dominant G and even if Tevin is only an average RT then that fills 2 positions.

However, I think Paris has potential to be a left tackle, and should be able to challenge for the starting position by the end of the season.

In summary, I believe Skoronski is more pro ready, and has a higher ceiling at less than premium position and some people’s eyes.
Agreed. I think Paris gives you some insurance at LT for the future but also fills a current need at RT.

That’s seems like the best bet to me. A RT that could transition to the left side down the road.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
With a ceiling of Quenton Nelson as a guard imo, yeah. Athletic ability to trap and pull outside with the strength of a bear.. can get to the second level quick... Would you take Quenton Nelson at 9? If I looked and wanted him purely as a T, I'd draft him later.

Nate Davis is followed by a good but usually injured Cobra Kai. Maybe Teven gets a shot at RT this year. Cody is on his way out. The Bears have 1 guard in a sense. Maybe Ja'tyre can step up this year. Worst case you got doughnut belly as that G/C back up.

Cody can compete with doughnut belly at center and get cut if he cant land the job. Id let Broderick compete with Teven at RT and LT with Braxton to see his fit, but Im in the G camp. Jones and Jones manning the blindside for a decade would be my play. Blindside would be the strength and as we have all seen with JF, his peripheral is sus at times cause hes looking for the endzone.

What i would do?

Jones, Jones, C , Allen, Cobra Kai

Leatherwood G/T
Boredom swing.

Would still draft a center too. Its more about solidifying the left and middle of the line
I'm not singing Whitehair's praises, but he and Jenkins started last year, they added Davis, and you added that up and got ONE guard, and use that as a reason to spend the #9 pick in the draft on a guard?

I'm not totally opposed to what you're saying, just questioning the long road to justify it. I wouldn't mind seeing Jenkins at T if the staff feels he can do the job.

It just seems #9 is high for a G, especially if they do NOT feel Jenkins is a T.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Agreed. I think Paris gives you some insurance at LT for the future but also fills a current need at RT.

That’s seems like the best bet to me. A RT that could transition to the left side down the road.
That's where my head is at too. Johnson has experience playing on the right side so there won't be a huge learning curve for him, but he also provides the insurance of being able to play on the left (probably his position). I said it in another post, but the only two players who would give me pause before selecting Johnson would be Anderson and Wilson; only because I think there is a higher positional value assigned to an edge rusher over a right tackle.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears need a kick ass 3 tech and a kick ass OT. I think it would be hard to mess this up. They will have good options at both positions.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Tyree Wilson or for whatever reason Anderson was there, I’d draft them at 9.

If not, I would move down a bit to try to get a second round pick then draft Broderick, Paris, or Skoronski.
chances are, neither is there at 9