Are We Underrating the Importance of WR

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The same debate is happening with Jalen Hurts.

Some are asking for them to commit more resources towards WR (despite spending the last 2 first round picks on WRs) while some are saying Hurts has to play better.

IMHO it's not that simple. Some QBs can throw WRs open with anticipation, so they just need someone there to run the right route (think Drew Brees). Some QBs are just fine with throwing to covered WRs because they can put the ball in a spot that gives their WRs the best chance to come down with the ball. Some QBs can't do either. They don't throw with anticipation and they don't have that pin point accuracy to help with covered catches.

The real questions are what does the offense want the QB to do and what is Fields capable of accomplishing?

Getting a big, jump ball guy makes no sense if the offense isn't asking for it and that's not what Fields does well.
Exactly. The Bears had a big jump ball WR, and Allen Robinson barely got the ball thrown to him because he couldn't separate. Fields wants guys to separate. Like he had at Ohio St. Fields has on occasion shown the ability to throw with anticipation (Byrd TD vs. GB), but i'd say that's the weakest aspect of his game right now. He has shown pinpoint accuracy at times (seam throws to TEs), but he really likes to hit guys that are separating (all the great throws on corner routes).

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't want him to be a "running" QB either but you need to work that into the offense and make the defense have to be ready for tit on damn near every play. Move the pocket, some designed runs, lots of play action. I want to see this offense use every bit of the run game to make the passing game easier which includes the threat Fields poses with his legs. Does that make sense?
Yes. I agree with that. I want mobility, and love that he will be able to extend drives with his legs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Watson was sacked 62 times his second season but the mofo still passed for over 4k yards and maintained a great TD/INT ratio at 26 and 9.

If you got it you got it. If you don't excuses are made ...
I think we can start giving the lion's share of the credit to Deandre Hopkins. He even makes Kyler Murray look good. Murray without him looks like he never played QB before.

Not that I want our offense to simly be throwing jump balls, but it sure has helped those two QBs having someone who goes and gets it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Hell yeah they are.

Most blame OL and scheme
Yeah, a lot of talk of O line improvement (which I certainly will always be a proponent of), but WRs getting open has as much to do with avoiding sacks as the OL.

Our guys aren't open after 4 seconds. No OL will be able to provide that on a regular basis.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The same debate is happening with Jalen Hurts.

Some are asking for them to commit more resources towards WR (despite spending the last 2 first round picks on WRs) while some are saying Hurts has to play better.

IMHO it's not that simple. Some QBs can throw WRs open with anticipation, so they just need someone there to run the right route (think Drew Brees). Some QBs are just fine with throwing to covered WRs because they can put the ball in a spot that gives their WRs the best chance to come down with the ball. Some QBs can't do either. They don't throw with anticipation and they don't have that pin point accuracy to help with covered catches.

The real questions are what does the offense want the QB to do and what is Fields capable of accomplishing?

Getting a big, jump ball guy makes no sense if the offense isn't asking for it and that's not what Fields does well.
I think Hurts is pretty limited but you can work with him with a good line and a scheme that fits him. They have plenty of draft capital to acquire another receiver.

I think the Eagles need to put more resources in defense. Their EDGE play is not good, almost last in sacks and at the bottom in turnovers. To me a more dynamic defense would do more good for them.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think Hurts is pretty limited but you can work with him with a good line and a scheme that fits him. They have plenty of draft capital to acquire another receiver.

I think the Eagles need to put more resources in defense. Their EDGE play is not good, almost last in sacks and at the bottom in turnovers. To me a more dynamic defense would do more good for them.
I tent to agree with you on both points. Hurts does have some limitations. Where I'm conflicted is that there's still a lot to like and he's young. I mean his leadership, physical ability to run, pure arm strength and work ethic are all very high and make you like the kid. The fact that he consistently misses outside WRs because he's not throwing with anticipation is a big red flag. At the end of the day he's 23 years old and I'm not enamored with anyone in this draft, so maybe he gets another year to develop.

For the defense I agree again. Losing their best edge rusher in Brandon Graham in the 2nd game of the season was not good. Josh Sweat stepped up and earned his extension. After that it wasn't great. Derek Barnett hasn't lived up to his draft spot and Ryan Kerrigan was a FA dud. One of their draft picks, being Tarron Jackson, flashed, but still less production then needed. I'd like them to put one of their first round picks to DE, but really think the top names will be gone and I haven't fallen in love with anyone. Personally after Thibodeaux, Hutchinson and Karlaftis I don't have a strong #4 or #5 DE.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I tent to agree with you on both points. Hurts does have some limitations. Where I'm conflicted is that there's still a lot to like and he's young. I mean his leadership, physical ability to run, pure arm strength and work ethic are all very high and make you like the kid. The fact that he consistently misses outside WRs because he's not throwing with anticipation is a big red flag. At the end of the day he's 23 years old and I'm not enamored with anyone in this draft, so maybe he gets another year to develop.

For the defense I agree again. Losing their best edge rusher in Brandon Graham in the 2nd game of the season was not good. Josh Sweat stepped up and earned his extension. After that it wasn't great. Derek Barnett hasn't lived up to his draft spot and Ryan Kerrigan was a FA dud. One of their draft picks, being Tarron Jackson, flashed, but still less production then needed. I'd like them to put one of their first round picks to DE, but really think the top names will be gone and I haven't fallen in love with anyone. Personally after Thibodeaux, Hutchinson and Karlaftis I don't have a strong #4 or #5 DE.
I'm thinking trade #19 for Mack if they really want to do their best to make a run while Hurts is on his rookie deal.

You can find WR , LB, CB at 15 and 16 in this draft, but you're right EDGE falls off drastically after those three and they will be gone.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Note to self: We might be, but watching Burrow being throw man around like a rag doll, let’s be sure to find ways to invest in OL

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Note to self: We might be, but watching Burrow being throw man around like a rag doll, let’s be sure to find ways to invest in OL

YUP.

Burrow overall has performed well, but gotten NO time. Weapons don't mean jack shit if you don't have a line that can buy you time to get the ball to those weapons.

Doesn't mean you never get weapons, but once you got the quarterback, your priority one is to HEAVILY invest in protecting him. And in doing so, you open up your playbook to be able to get the ball to the weapons when you do eventually get them.

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
YUP.

Burrow overall has performed well, but gotten NO time. Weapons don't mean jack shit if you don't have a line that can buy you time to get the ball to those weapons.

Doesn't mean you never get weapons, but once you got the quarterback, your priority one is to HEAVILY invest in protecting him. And in doing so, you open up your playbook to be able to get the ball to the weapons when you do eventually get them.
Yup, 9 sacks already today. Chase is a huge asset, but hard to get him the ball if Burrow is constantly on his ass

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm thinking trade #19 for Mack if they really want to do their best to make a run while Hurts is on his rookie deal.

You can find WR , LB, CB at 15 and 16 in this draft, but you're right EDGE falls off drastically after those three and they will be gone.
I’d hate to see Mack go but this trade would make me hard

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yup, 9 sacks already today. Chase is a huge asset, but hard to get him the ball if Burrow is constantly on his ass

Its really amazing that it looks like they are going to pull this one out. And they will be lucky to do so.

The bengals won't survive the winner of KC/Buffalo. They got lucky that Tannahil is such a shit QB.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I’d hate to see Mack go but this trade would make me hard
Yeah I doubt it would happen, just kinda dreaming there. Howie Roseman does like to wheel and deal there though, and with three R1 picks, lots could happen with the Iggles.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
YUP.

Burrow and Cincy are going to the AFC championship game without having a good o-line.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Burrow and Cincy are going to the AFC championship game without having a good o-line.

And they got lucky and faced 2 teams who had a worse QB than them and equally bad o-lines.

Let's see how they do against a real team (winner of Buffalo - KC).

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And they got lucky and faced 2 teams who had a worse QB than them and equally bad o-lines.

Let's see how they do against a real team (winner of Buffalo - KC).
I was talking about the whole season with the 2 playoff games. There's other teams with meh o-lines and good/great QB's that win as well.