Bears *possibly* testing the market on Montgomery

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone picking up Montgomery would be for immediate use this year. He is going to have to come back from injury and play well through a game before anybody touches him. When would that be?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Depends on the return but generally im in favor of this. Bears have a good starting RB for the next 3 years on a 6th round rookie contract, they would be crazy to sign Montgomery to the bigger $$$ contract i think he will be able to command, so instead of letting him walk get some return on investment outside of the production he has already given the team.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I believe the trade deadline is less than a week away

He's still in the IR and hasn't been designated to return

He has 1 year left on his rookie contract

As I've said for 2 years...he's a replacement level player and easily replaced (as is almost everyone at that position) and should not see a 2nd contract for large dollars or years from the bears....Herbert and Williams have proven this point the last 3 weeks.

I doubt he's fetching much in return as most of the nfl realizes the above fact that rb are easily replaceable

The Ravens lost 3 RB; signed 3 old timers off the street for peanuts and haven't missed a beat in the running game...they're too smart an org to give up much of anything for monty.

If some team was stupid enough to offer a 3rd or 4th next year; pace should jump. Beyond that, having Monty and Herbert next year isn't a bad combo....provided pace doesn't sign him to a Cohen like extension.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
How the hell are the Bears shopping and injured player in the middle of the season? There would be ZERO interest. LOL

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's probably been said already but no one is going to trade for a RB coming off an injury in a contract year!

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you never believe trade deadline rumors you will be right 99% of the time.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I was trying to think of a SB contending team and the Ravens never popped up in my head. Monty would be an excellent fit for the Ravens. Their RB situation is a mess.

Lamar is fine, what do you mean?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm calling it. Pace will trade for a RB and WR at the deadline. Neither will be as good as Monty or ARob and both players received will be in a contract year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm just confused by CCS.

Offense blows balls, fields is dying out there, and they want to trade the best offensive weapon we have so we can net a 4th round pick?

CCS never stops entertaining me by their goober takes.

If you want to trade monty do it during the offseason, not when he's hurt.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace is allowed to trade players, that to me signals he's safe for next year. I would prefer not to see players traded at all until they get the top sorted out and he hires a new coaching staff. They want to trade players next season fine.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If Pace is allowed to trade players, that to me signals he's safe for next year. I would prefer not to see players traded at all until they get the top sorted out and he hires a new coaching staff. They want to trade players next season fine.

Pace just traded away a 6th for a punt returner.

I'm pretty sure his job security is pretty solid barring a complete collapse going forward.

Some don't want to hear it, but its just reality.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace just traded away a 6th for a punt returner.

I'm pretty sure his job security is pretty solid barring a complete collapse going forward.

Some don't want to hear it, but its just reality.
I think that was more of a need, no one on the roster looked comfortable especially after Monty injured himself they couldn't stick Herbert back there.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The trade deadline is Tuesday. Doubtful anyone is going to give up much for an RB who is injured and hasn't played in a month.
Yep.

...and there's no effing way a team is giving up a 3rd for Monty, even if he wasn't injured.

I like the guy, but his body of work over 3 years doesn't stand out.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I believe the trade deadline is less than a week away

He's still in the IR and hasn't been designated to return

He has 1 year left on his rookie contract

As I've said for 2 years...he's a replacement level player and easily replaced (as is almost everyone at that position) and should not see a 2nd contract for large dollars or years from the bears....Herbert and Williams have proven this point the last 3 weeks.

I doubt he's fetching much in return as most of the nfl realizes the above fact that rb are easily replaceable

The Ravens lost 3 RB; signed 3 old timers off the street for peanuts and haven't missed a beat in the running game...they're too smart an org to give up much of anything for monty.

If some team was stupid enough to offer a 3rd or 4th next year; pace should jump. Beyond that, having Monty and Herbert next year isn't a bad combo....provided pace doesn't sign him to a Cohen like extension.
Ravens running game is mostly going through Lamar, and Murray was the starter and he got hurt, so they are using Bell and Freeman, and both are showing why they were on the street.

Bottom Line the Ravens are still looking for a workhorse RB, because it is a big part of their game.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Because we aren't winning the SB this year and it's better than getting nothing in return when he walks in free agency b/c we don't have cap room.

That's also why other teams won't give us a 3rd... We have no leverage and everyone knows it.
We will have cap room, Because of the new tv deal, the next two years will see the biggest cap limit increases ever. By far

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd be OK with trading him IF the compensation was right. He's still under contract next year and it's for a very low number. Having him and Hebert under rookie deals for a year is very valuable and helpful. (especially to a young QB) And you can still just let him go and get a decent comp pick for him after his rookie deal is up. So yeah, for a good pick I'd trade him.... but I'm not doing it for a 4th or 5th.

Doubt he yields a comp pick as you can expect Bears to be buyers in 2023 amd beyond as there will be major roster turnover whether Pace remains or is fired.

Having said that, best to move him in the offseason.