Byron Leftwich

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guy in charge of Tampa Bay’s offense is the quarterback on the field.

I don’t want to be unfair to Leftwich. I think I am in the same boat as hawkbear I wouldn’t be terribly opposed to hiring him but it really feels like a lot of people are giving him credit for the success of an offense that has only been good when run by Tom Brady. And I’ve seen that happen several times before.

Charlie Weiss, Josh McDaniels, Bill O’Brien ....how many times we gonna make the same mistake?
Actually that offense didn't look bad before Brady they were certainly better than the shit show we have been watching for 4 seasons

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Guys football smart af even though I'm on the Daboll train and have been for 2 seasons that would be an exciting second choice
Zero issues with Daboll.

we have a lot of good options.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually that offense didn't look bad before Brady they were certainly better than the shit show we have been watching for 4 seasons
But how much credit goes to Leftwich and how much goes to Ariens?

I kind a want to I get a guy who actually has his own offense, not somebody who only has a history of running someone else’s.

Leftwich questions
1)Has he ever developed a quarterback or for that matter any player? His current team is stacked with NFL veteran players
2)Has he shown the ability to adjust his scheme to fit the personnel he has, does he even have a scheme?
3) does he have enough experience with NFL coaches to be able to hire coordinators and positional coaches?
4) does he know both sides of the ball well enough to run the entire team, or is he a glorified O coordinator and he’s going to rely on hiring the right defensive coordinator?

It seems like a real risky hire at a very important stage of Justin fields career. I guess the main question about who would be his offensive coordinator? Since appearantly he will be the HC who is still learning about being an offensive coordinator.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
But how much credit goes to Leftwich and how much goes to Ariens?

I kind a want to I get a guy who actually has his own offense, not somebody who only has a history of running someone else’s.

Leftwich questions
1)Has he ever developed a quarterback or for that matter any player? His current team is stacked with NFL veteran players
2)Has he shown the ability to adjust his scheme to fit the personnel he has, does he even have a scheme? YES
3) does he have enough experience with NFL coaches to be able to hire coordinators and positional coaches?
4) does he know both sides of the ball well enough to run the entire team, or is he a glorified O coordinator and he’s going to rely on hiring the right defensive coordinator?

It seems like a real risky hire at a very important stage of Justin fields career. I guess the main question about who would be his offensive coordinator? Since appearantly he will be the HC who is still learning about being an offensive coordinator.

Interesting set of criteria. Compare it to HC list below.

I like the fact that Leftwich is a former Qb, I believe that would help JF. I also believe Leftwich would craft an offense around our talent.

Ok....the list below ( New HC's hired in 2021) When I look at the list below I see no way Leftwich shouldn't get a HC job in 2022.

Brandon Staley, Chargers

Urban Meyer, Jaguars

Nick Sirianni, Eagles

Dan " biting knee caps" Campbell, Lions

Arthur Smith, Falcons

Robert Saleh, Jets

David Culley, Texans

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Interesting set of criteria. Compare it to HC list below.

I like the fact that Leftwich is a former Qb, I believe that would help JF. I also believe Leftwich would craft an offense around our talent.

Ok....the list below ( New HC's hired in 2021) When I look at the list below I see no way Leftwich shouldn't get a HC job in 2022.

Brandon Staley, Chargers

Urban Meyer, Jaguars

Nick Sirianni, Eagles

Dan " biting knee caps" Campbell, Lions

Arthur Smith, Falcons

Robert Saleh, Jets

David Culley, Texans

What a horrible list to compare him too. Why don’t you try making a list of successful coaches hired in the last 5 years. Or even offensive coordinators who found success as HC and those who failed, then we can debate which group Leftwich is closer to.. and what traits the successful ones have in common.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What a horrible list to compare him too. Why don’t you try making a list of successful coaches hired in the last 5 years. Or even offensive coordinators who found success as HC and those who failed, then we can debate which group Leftwich is closer to.. and what traits the successful ones have in common.
well I wasn't really looking for a debate ( maybe a discussion and sharing ideas). I was just showing you the type of ppl getting hired recently compared to Leftwich. It was more about giving ya a context and or perspective .

Plus, Leftwich couldn't even get a interview in 2021( let that marinade for a while). I gave you a some traits and a short summary>>>#66 on why I thought Leftwich would right for the Bears.

Last edited:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
well I wasn't really looking for a debate ( maybe a discussion and sharing ideas). I was just showing you the type of ppl getting hired recently compared to Leftwich. It was more about giving ya a context and or perspective .
Plus, Leftwich couldn't even get a interview in 2021. I gave u a short summary>>>#66 on why I thought Leftwich would right for the Bears.
You basically said you liked him because he was a former quarterback and the guys got hired last year kind of suck..

Maybe tell me why he is a better candidate in your view over Kellen Moore the former cowboys QB and current OC who is actually in a very similar situation as Leftwich but at least has his own playbook.

Also, I would like to hear your view on the obvious choice Brian Daboll, the guy with like 20 years of NFL experience, Learned from guys like Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Eric Mangini. He has coached multiple positions including defensive asst, WR coach, TE Coach, QB Coach, OC. He has 5 SB Rings and 1 NC Ring. Has been given credit for taken a first rd bust QB and developing him into a top 10 maybe 5 QB. The guy simply has a track record of getting the most out of his players.

macbear67

Liked Posts:
So here's an article on Leftwich and the coaching hunt for next year:

Buccaneers: Why 2021 will be Byron Leftwich’s final season in Tampa Bay

I will say I like him because I like Arians and Arians has a whole lot of confidence in him. The players love him. I also love the fact that he he's a tough son of a bitch. I still remember the game where his players carried him down the field from play to play with a broken shin. Looks like he can instill crazy loyalty and confidence. Instead of thinking he's another Nagy, maybe just maybe he's what we all wanted Nagy to be.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Plus, Leftwich couldn't even get a interview in 2021( let that marinade for a while). I gave you a some traits and a short summary>>>#66 on why I thought Leftwich would right for the Bears.
You basically said you liked him because he was a former quarterback and the guys got hired last year kind of suck..

Maybe tell me why he is a better candidate in your view over Kellen Moore the former cowboys QB and current OC who is actually in a very similar situation as Leftwich but at least has his own playbook.

Also, I would like to hear your view on the obvious choice Brian Daboll, the guy with like 20 years of NFL experience, Learned from guys like Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Eric Mangini. He has coached multiple positions including defensive asst, WR coach, TE Coach, QB Coach, OC. He has 5 SB Rings and 1 NC Ring. Has been given credit for taken a first rd bust QB and developing him into a top 10 maybe 5 QB. The guy simply has a track record of getting the most out of his players.

In one of my prior posts I did list Moore ( is it his playbook or Mc Carthy's?). I like both Leftwich & Moore ( my concern with Moore, 33 yrs old, is his lack of overall experience). I like Leftwich's overall NFL experience as a player & coach. Would I bring both in for an interview.....Yes

On Daboll, him being a Belichick affiliate isn't super impressive to me, cuz most ppl who went on to HC positions didn't do well. I don't know I'd call Josh Allen "a bust".

We have to look at the roles Daboll played in the past. New York Jets (2007–2008), Cleveland Browns 2008-09
2011 Miami Dolphins Kansas City Chiefs (2012).... so as I look at what the teams did stat-wise, particularly when he was a OC, it's been kinda meh. Would I bring him in for an interview.....sure.

Last edited:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In one of my prior posts I did list Moore ( is it his playbook or Mc Carthy's?). I like both Leftwich & Moore ( my concern with Moore, 33 yrs old, is his lack of overall experience). I like Leftwich's overall NFL experience as a player & coach. Would I bring both in for an interview.....Yes

On Daboll, him being a Belichick affiliate isn't super impressive to me, cuz most ppl who went on to HC positions didn't do well. I don't know I'd call Josh Allen "a bust".

We have to look at the roles Daboll played in the past. New York Jets (2007–2008), Cleveland Browns 2008-09
2011 Miami Dolphins Kansas City Chiefs (2012).... so as I look at what the teams did stat-wise, particularly when he was
a OC, it's been kinda meh. Would I bring him in for an interview.....sure.

Moore is running his own scheme the same one he ran before McCathy got there. I have the same concern as what you expressed with inexperience, but find it odd that you fell Moore is lacking experience while has almost the exact resume as Leftwich.. Former NFL QB with 1 year as QB Coach and 3 years as an OC.

As for your second point, are you seriously trying to compare a Coach who coached the Jets and the Browns and compare him him to a coach who has elite talent and future HOF player up and down the roster and say if you look at them stat-wise??? If so, you simply are unable to have a rational debate or even a thought.

Honest question, how much of Tampa’s success
Goes to:
Brady -
All-star talent -
HC -
Division-
Leftwich-

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goes to:
Brady -
All-star talent -
HC -
Division-
Leftwich-
I’ll play even though there’s no real way to know unless you’re in the organization.…

Brady - 30%
All-star talent - 35%
HC - 20%
Division- 5%
Leftwich- 10%

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

2011 Miami Dolphins Kansas City Chiefs (2012).... so as I look at what the teams did stat-wise, particularly when he was a OC, it's been kinda meh. Would I bring him in for an interview.....sure.

Moore is running his own scheme the same one he ran before McCathy got there. I have the same concern as what you expressed with inexperience, but find it odd that you fell Moore is lacking experience while has almost the exact resume as Leftwich.. Former NFL QB with 1 year as QB Coach and 3 years as an OC.

As for your second point, are you seriously trying to compare a Coach who coached the Jets and the Browns and compare him him to a coach who has elite talent and future HOF player up and down the roster and say if you look at them stat-wise??? If so, you simply are unable to have a rational debate or even a thought.

Goes to:
Brady -
All-star talent -
HC -
Division-
Leftwich-

So again, I'm not trying to have a "you're wrong, I'm right debate". We're sharing ideas & perspectives. On Daboll, you brought up what you thought were his accomplishments. I merely did more of a deep dive into what he's been doing prior to the 2018. I was just showing a flip side.

On Moore, as previously mentioned, at 33yrs old, he doesn't have the same longevity of pro experience as Leftwich, 41.
The short answer on Tampa's success is that it's a combination. Some ppl. might choose to say Leftwich has had minimal
impact. But would that be a fair assumption? However, I did say I'd interview all the ppl we mentioned.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Moore got a Dallas's O to midack with a situation that was like ours is this year. 17th in points and 14th in yards with Dalton while missing their starting QB, LT, RT, and TE. 4th most injured offense overall but probably most affected when considering positions. He doesn't just have great O stats when he has great players. He managed a poor situation extremely well.

Last edited: