Christian Kirk

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Think they need the WR equivalent of an Angelo Blackson contract. 2 years. Around 3 mil a pop. Can start if needed for a year while we wait for a younger guy to develop.
Thats probably your Byrds and Goodwins of the world

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thats probably your Byrds and Goodwins of the world
My take on the NFL is you pay your stars and don’t get bogged down paying those mid tier guys too much. (One of my main beefs with Pace) So either go big and find a guy who will be difference maker for 5 years or go cheap. No more Taylor Gabriels. The difference between the mid tier guys and the cheap guys is not as much as the difference between the mid tier guys and the stars. (I hope this makes sense).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If you give Wilson a three year deal with essentially 2 guaranteed at $6mil, you could have a cap hit of about $4m for 2022. If you want to commit to Wilson for two year, I'd say that's a decent route. Russell Gage is probably similar, as well as some of the slot receivers.

I think JJSS on a prove it deal would be something to look into.

To my mind it's imperative to Fields' development to have a couple more competent WRs aside from Mooney. That probably means at least one mid level FA.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
If you give Wilson a three year deal with essentially 2 guaranteed at $6mil, you could have a cap hit of about $4m for 2022. If you want to commit to Wilson for two year, I'd say that's a decent route. Russell Gage is probably similar, as well as some of the slot receivers.

I think JJSS on a prove it deal would be something to look into.

To my mind it's imperative to Fields' development to have a couple more competent WRs aside from Mooney. That probably means at least one mid level FA.
I wouldn't be against like a fuller/kirk or jjss/chark pairing. I assume the totals would be similar with the 2 pairings. Both have a 1 year prove it deal and a contract that would likely be multi year bringing down the year 1 cap hit. And as I've mentioned I'd target metchie in rd 3 or later of the draft

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be against like a fuller/kirk or jjss/chark pairing. I assume the totals would be similar with the 2 pairings. Both have a 1 year prove it deal and a contract that would likely be multi year bringing down the year 1 cap hit. And as I've mentioned I'd target metchie in rd 3 or later of the draft
Those would cost too much money imo. Kirk is going to get in eight figures per year over multiple years I think. The other three are one year deals most likely meaning you can't amortize them, so the salary they get will be what's on the cap. I guess you could theoretically do JJSS and Chark but both coming off big injuries. If you get Kirk, probably not seeing another WR above minimum as the Bears have probably six starting spots to fill and such little draft capital.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Those would cost too much money imo. Kirk is going to get in eight figures per year over multiple years I think. The other three are one year deals most likely meaning you can't amortize them, so the salary they get will be what's on the cap. I guess you could theoretically do JJSS and Chark but both coming off big injuries. If you get Kirk, probably not seeing another WR above minimum as the Bears have probably six starting spots to fill and such little draft capital.
I wasn't sure if chark would be a 1 or 3 year deal. JJSS is a diva but also could break out with a good qb. I wouldn't be against JJSS and Chark. Then Bozeman at C and Connor Williams at G. Get a cb like Steven Nelson or someone of similar quality/affordability. Obviously they will still need safeties (cheap) and some DL depth (cheap). If they could make that work it opens up the draft for BPA a bit. Not sure if that's realistic or not.

Also I'd like a swing T like Pryor from indy

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the most games Fuller has appeared in one season is 14, that was once in 2016, he's appeared in 55 games in 6 seasons, NO THANKS, however, when healthy, he would immediately be the bears WR 1

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only downside to Fuller is he's seemingly got chronic hamstring issues. Swear he would miss or be limited in 4 to 5 games per season every year he was with the Texans with a hamstring problem. Heck of a player when healthy though did have a tendency to drop the "easy" deep catches.
his career average is 6 games a year

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn’t invest for the long term in a WR or TE yet. I’d build the OL as much as possible. The scheme and play calling were third rate and predictable. Our guys were not open on the shorter routes and there was never time (or inclination) to throw past the sticks, let alone 25 yards down the field or deep.

With an improved pass blocking OL, a better scheme and better play calling….possibly our receiving corps looks a lot better than it is. I’d build the OL and cross my fingers that would be the case.

At the end of ‘22, re-evaluate, and use FA or the draft to add a potential number one WR if the pass protection is there.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I wasn't sure if chark would be a 1 or 3 year deal. JJSS is a diva but also could break out with a good qb. I wouldn't be against JJSS and Chark. Then Bozeman at C and Connor Williams at G. Get a cb like Steven Nelson or someone of similar quality/affordability. Obviously they will still need safeties (cheap) and some DL depth (cheap). If they could make that work it opens up the draft for BPA a bit. Not sure if that's realistic or not.

Also I'd like a swing T like Pryor from indy
It depends. If they could get half those guys I'd be thrilled - it's always more competitive than I expect. I think a good center is a must. I'd prefer to sign Daniels back. CB is actually pretty deep this year in FA.

They also need an ILB unless people are comfortable with Trevethan (I am not). Would expect Goldman to get cut, which would free up $7m. Tonga did just as well for 1/12 the price. That means you need at least one other DL (Nichols is FA).

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
You guys already gave up on the gem Dazz Newsome from the "historically best Bears draft class of 2021?"
I actually wanted Dazz going into the draft so I watched him pretty closely when he was in. He obviously didn’t get a ton of looks as he tended to be on the far side of the field from where Foles was starting his reads, but I still believe in him.

Good ball carrier, good route runnner, and tons of effort as a blocker (and yeah he got tossed once as a result of it).

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You can use the numbers in here as a starting point ans swap out the WRs and OL for the guys you like. Just to give a sense for how the cap comes into this.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
the most games Fuller has appeared in one season is 14, that was once in 2016, he's appeared in 55 games in 6 seasons, NO THANKS, however, when healthy, he would immediately be the bears WR 1
Yeah big Fuller fan when healthy but he's just one of those guys that simply can't stay healthy.

If we had the money i don't think there's a better option if we could afford 2 than DJ Chark and C.Kirk but unless Chark takes a really good one year prove yourself deal than that isn't happening.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Thing about Chark/JJSS, it would be a boom or bust move signing two players coming off injury, though neither were potential career enders.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Thing about Chark/JJSS, it would be a boom or bust move signing two players coming off injury, though neither were potential career enders.
Yes, you could think about signing one on a prove it but not both. Too risky.

msadows

Liked Posts:
You guys already gave up on the gem Dazz Newsome from the "historically best Bears draft class of 2021?"

No but I kinda feel like I've given up on you posting anything decent

Feel like one of the mods needs to put you on global ignore and have you confused why no one is fueling your rage.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

his career average is 6 games a year
Might wanna recheck your math there

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
With only Mooney and Newsome under contract and only 2 picks in the top 100, they have to sign at least one competent FA receiver and probably two imo.
Or they can corner the UDFA WR market.