Eberflus Connected Potential Free Agents

Orange&Blue

Liked Posts:
Longtime lurker. First time caller.

Just listened to an interview on Eberflus that suggested a couple affordable defensive free agents with ties to him for next season:

Al-Quadin Muhammad, 26, DE with 6 sacks for the Colts this past year

Xavier Rhodes, 31, CB Colts. Getting a bit old, but you all know him. Maybe he plays the role of reliable but unimpressive veteran.

Anthony Walker, 26, LB that played for the Browns this year but for the Colts for several years before that.

Put me in the hopeful until proven otherwise camp on this hire. Smart, organized, and accountable would be a major upgrade from Nagy.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Rhodes was pretty bad last year. Not terrible but he looks to be on the decline. There's some decent options for zone corners-Darious Williams, Donte Jackson, Steven Nelson-who I'd look at if I were the Bears.

Walker's worth a look. They definitely need linebackers. Unless they move on from Quinn or Mack I don't see them spending much on edge rushers.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sad part is that the Bears don't have much cap space and they need to focus on Roquan Smith and offensive line hopefully a center.

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Welcome to the board.

I think they can resign guys on defense that are on par with those guys. Offence is where I would like to see any new signings before any new defensive players except secondary and there is a stout free agent group of DBs available this offseason.

Quandre Diggs had 94 tackles and 5 ints last year, I'd take him. I think he's available, would help the secondary.

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sad part is that the Bears don't have much cap space and they need to focus on Roquan Smith and offensive line hopefully a center.
They're not that bad off this year, they have 45 mil and can dump Whitehair and Goldman for an extra 9 mil each. It's not as bad as last year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They're not that bad off this year, they have 45 mil and can dump Whitehair and Goldman for an extra 9 mil each. It's not as bad as last year.
They could get a little over $8mil for each of those guys if they cut them after June 1, but free agency is pretty much over by then. Whitehair actually loses $ on the cap if he is cut pre June 1. I think Goldman could certainly be a normal cut, yielding almost $7mil in space.

The Bears have a ton of holes and while they will probably make a couple significant signings, the $ isn't really there to make the team over this offseason. If you cut Whitehair you basically need to sign or draft starters at all three interior OL positions. Doubt they want to undertake that.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Vildor, Burns and Shelly bad?

No. He would be an upgrade to them, but so would pretty much any other corner in the NFL. Not a big fan of signing declining players. Rhodes would be fine if they're looking for a one year stop gap but I'd rather they look longer term.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I was excited about the prospect of trading for Ridley with Quinn coaching him in ATL.

Still think it’s possible as you would think Poles prioritizes speed at WR and the Bears need to upgrade in a big way at WR.

I know all the Bears have been doing is trading away draft capital but I’d do it as long as it doesn’t take a 1. The 39th overall pick though…ship it.