Let's be real about Fields

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
here's why i say don't judge a QB under Nagy...

Here are two stat lines. Which one is Tannehill and which one is Trubisky? DO NOT GOOGLE IT!!!!!

Comp%: 64.1, Yards/Comp: 10.5, Yards/Game: 196.6
Comp%: 63.8, Yards/Comp: 11.5, Yards/Game: 233.6
And if I do Google it? What are you gonna do about it punk?

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
You dont really believe this is KCs scheme, do you?
I have been asking this on this board for months now and no one seems to want to either answer me, or they are like me and no one has a clue either, which I would't blame them for as I don't believe Nagy has a clue either.

So I'll ask again, just what the heck is this so called scheme that Nagy has, and he keeps referring to??

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have been asking this on this board for months now and no one seems to want to either answer me, or they are like me and no one has a clue either, which I would't blame them for as I don't believe Nagy has a clue either.

So I'll ask again, just what the heck is this so called scheme that Nagy has, and he keeps referring to??

Best answer I can give you is a combination of what Sage Rosenfels said while commentating a game back in 2018, what 2 chiefs players who were caught saying about Nagy on the sideline of a game in 2019, and what one of the commentors for the Rams game this year said.

Sage said that Nagy's offense isn't cohesive - that it just looks like a collection of plays with no real offensive identity.

The 2 chiefs players were talking about how the chief's offense was a lot more simplified since Nagy left and that he had a tendency to really overcomplicate things...

The commentator from this year said that most NFL teams have 8-12 substitution packages on offense (where players come on and off the field). The Bears have 32 such packages.

Infer from that what you will.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe something better than a screenshot from your phone?

He ranks 34th in something, but can't tell from a screenshot from your phone. NOT going to take your word for it.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Here's the thing. When he is on the move and a receiver gets open, Fields is very accurate. We've seen him "throw guys open" on a number of occasions. What that should tell anyone with a brain and a pulse is that the SKILLSET is there. We've seen him stay even-keeled and not disintegrate after the beatings he's taking. Tells you his MINDSET is there.

The rest of what we are seeing can be explained by a rookie doing what he is being told to do by a head coach and oc who both are terrible, while playing in a broken scheme that gets no one open, can't pass block anyone, and where the blockers don't even know their assignments half the time, and that ALL of this are the same things we saw with Mitch Trubisky, with Nick Foles, and with Andy Dalton, and they aren't "rookies who hold onto the ball too long" - so to chalk the rest to this seems to be willfully ignorant of that reality.

We won't be any closer to knowing what we have in Fields by the end of the season than we do now, and anyone who claims to know is a moron.

What we know right now are some really good traits, and an offense so bad that you can't tell what's on the bad scheme and what's on the rookie. Again, anyone claiming they know the difference is a meatball, mouthbreathing moron.

All we can hope for, is a new coach and GM in the offseason, and that Fields at least learned SOME things this season that will allow him to get a fast start in a competent offense under competent coaching next season.
I think you can apply this to many players on offense on this team as well, particularly with the o-line.

For instance, Whitehair as a rookie and second year player looked to be very promising, but then he just fell off a cliff and has not been the guy he was starting to look like he was going to be. Same with Daniels, Olin Krutz talked highly of him as a future dominant player, yet he never made it off the ground. The blocking schemes that Nagy must require in order to do his so called passing scheme must be absolutely confusing to all. When the line is asked to perform straight ahead run blocking they seem to do just fine.

Nagy just sucks, and to evaluate any player on offense on this roster while he is coach makes no sense.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Best answer I can give you is a combination of what Sage Rosenfels said while commentating a game back in 2018, what 2 chiefs players who were caught saying about Nagy on the sideline of a game in 2019, and what one of the commentors for the Rams game this year said.

Sage said that Nagy's offense isn't cohesive - that it just looks like a collection of plays with no real offensive identity.

The 2 chiefs players were talking about how the chief's offense was a lot more simplified since Nagy left and that he had a tendency to really overcomplicate things...

The commentator from this year said that most NFL teams have 8-12 substitution packages on offense (where players come on and off the field). The Bears have 32 such packages.

Infer from that what you will.
That Nagy thinks he is the smartest person in the room..............

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think you can apply this to many players on offense on this team as well, particularly with the o-line.

For instance, Whitehair as a rookie and second year player looked to be very promising, but then he just fell off a cliff and has not been the guy he was starting to look like he was going to be. Same with Daniels, Olin Krutz talked highly of him as a future dominant player, yet he never made it off the ground. The blocking schemes that Nagy must require in order to do his so called passing scheme must be absolutely confusing to all. When the line is asked to perform straight ahead run blocking they seem to do just fine.

Nagy just sucks, and to evaluate any player on offense on this roster while he is coach makes no sense.

BINGO - WE HAVE A WINNAH.

Consider that Nagy fired a proven top end NFL head coach in Harry Heistand, to replace him with yes man Juan Castillo.

Harry has enough tenure and years in the league that he probably told Nagy where he could stick his overcomplicated scheme on the oline and got let go for it.

Funny too, that the line looked its best, even with lesser players, in 2018, when Harry Hiestand was the O-Line coach....

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

Any real talk about Justin fields begins with that.

Anyone who wants to make conclusive statements about Justin fields who either blows off the stats in that tweet or glosses them over with "well yeah of course, but..." and then shovels them aside and ignores them isn't mentally qualified to have an intelligent thought on Justin fields.

The Justin Fields threads bear an eerie resemblance to the Mitchell Trubisky threads of a year or two ago...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Justin Fields threads bear an eerie resemblance to the Mitchell Trubisky threads of a year or two ago...

We may owe Mitch an apology. Offense has looked the same, yet on a deteriorating level, over 5 quarterbacks now.

Can't pin it on the QB if it looks like the same issues under each one. Well, you CAN pin it on the QB, but then that would make you a moron.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
BINGO - WE HAVE A WINNAH.

Consider that Nagy fired a proven top end NFL head coach in Harry Heistand, to replace him with yes man Juan Castillo.

Harry has enough tenure and years in the league that he probably told Nagy where he could stick his overcomplicated scheme on the oline and got let go for it.

Funny too, that the line looked its best, even with lesser players, in 2018, when Harry Hiestand was the O-Line coach....
this is what I believe is the fundamental coaching problem on this team, it is loaded with yes men who where either fired or out of work before being brought on by Nagy, and they stay quiet in order to stay employed.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
We may owe Mitch an apology. Offense has looked the same, yet on a deteriorating level, over 5 quarterbacks now.

Can't pin it on the QB if it looks like the same issues under each one. Well, you CAN pin it on the QB, but then that would make you a moron.
No, I don't think so.

Mitchell doesn't seem to process information quickly enough at the NFL level to be successful. If he doesn't possess the correct mixture of gray matter to do so, no amount of coaching can't change that.

I think he'll be a decent backup quarterback in the NFL, which is what he currently is. If he ever demonstrates the ability to play at a level justifying the number two overall pick in the draft, then I will be more than happy to issue a full and unconditional apology.

I won't be holding my breath, however.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Any real talk about Justin fields begins with that.

Anyone who wants to make conclusive statements about Justin fields who either blows off the stats in that tweet or glosses them over with "well yeah of course, but..." and then shovels them aside and ignores them isn't mentally qualified to have an intelligent thought on Justin fields.

Now that’s what you call a bad oline! Pace should be ashamed of himself.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No, I don't think so.

Mitchell doesn't seem to process information quickly enough at the NFL level to be successful. If he doesn't possess the correct mixture of gray matter to do so, no amount of coaching can't change that.

I think he'll be a decent backup quarterback in the NFL, which is what he currently is. If he ever demonstrates the ability to play at a level justifying the number two overall pick in the draft, then I will be more than happy to issue a full and unconditional apology.

I won't be holding my breath, however.

Overall, I do agree with you. I think Mitch maxes out as Kirk Cousins. But even Kirk Cousins-level of QB play is better than what was shown under Nagy's system.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I don't have it but there's a next gen stat regarding time to pressure for qb is somewhere around 4.0. The ball needs to be gone by 3.0 and most qb's are getting it out.

Justin Fields time to pressure is 2.5.

In other words even though you can say he holds the ball, by next gen he isn't alloted the time other qb's are.

Again for clarity 2.5 vs 4.0.
That 1.5 seconds is a life time! I watch a lot of games and go crazy to see a lot of other QB's have time to eat lunch but not Fields.

ImSure

Liked Posts:
previously i would have said had we drafted Patrick and the Chiefs drafted Mitch that we'd be much better than them over the last years.

now? i'm not totally sure.